Question about using mods on home server

Taledus's Avatar Taledus3/25/13 2:31 pm
1 emeralds 101 5
3/27/2013 1:18 pm
Taledus's Avatar Taledus
Sorry for the vague topic, but I am completely new to running a lan server for me and my son to play. Single player mode I can easily install the mods found on this site and have them work, such as the backpack mod, using Minecraft Forge. When I began running the server on the lan though, I was unable to find a successful way to get them to run on the server, and when I would use the backpack mod, I could craft a backpack, but then it would not allow me to add it to inventory, yet it would still work in single player mode.

I have not been successful installing the mods the same way into the server file, by opening with winrar and dropping in the new files from the mod, as the server states that there is a java error and won't startup.

So I installed Craftbukkit, and the backpack plugin for it, but is uses commands in order to get to the backpack, which is difficult for my son to use. Also, there are some of the mods on here that I'd like to use for our home game, but cannot locate anything on the Bukkit plugins, such as additional blocks and weapons...but there are so many I am probably overlooking them.

I'd really only like to run the basic server with some additional crafting mods found on here, but so far the few that I have tried do not work via lan, which means even though single player works, I am not going to get them to work with multiplayer. Can someone please point me in the right direction for setting something like this up, or if it is even possible?

Windows 7
Minecraft-1.5
Minecraft Server-1.5.1
Minecraft Forge-1.5.1
CraftBukkit-1.5-R0.1

Thanks
Taledus
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/27/2013 1:18 pm
Taledus
LOL, I guess I am really new to Minecraft!

I totally overlooked the "Open to LAN" option...now we can both use the same mods from here
03/25/2013 8:12 pm
Taledus
That pretty much sums up what I was looking for. Thanks.

Looks like I will have to start using CraftBukkit
03/25/2013 7:56 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
-Kali-
In order to get "mods", you must have CraftBukkit. Mods don't work at all, because the creator has to set up permission nodes, and make it into a plugin. Servers only run plugins. You can download the plugins at bukkit.org, any other place like PMC wont work
03/25/2013 7:01 pm
Taledus
Yes, he has the exact same everything that I have installed on mine.

And I do have ModLoader-1.5.1 installed as well, I'm just not sure how the server can be modded to allow mods from this site to be used in multiplayer.

The CraftBukkit plugins are working with what few I have tried, he just isn't very good with the commands in order to bring up the backpack.

I did a search for Tekkit Lite and came across the server for it, and several other "Tekkit" mods, but no Lite for the client. When I tried to connect to the server it says the server is outdated, which appears to work with 1.4.7, and not the 1.5 we have :/

We have been playing for quite a while now with several of the mods on here working pretty good, only recently playing on the home server, so I'm kinda new on how to set it up in order to allow all of this to work.

I'm going to look more on the plugins for CraftBukkit and see what all I can come up with because we already have it, and the regular server, where they are running and accept the lan connections.
03/25/2013 5:44 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Modder
Nulcheck
does your son's minecraft also have the mods installed?

also, plugins for craftbukkit that adds more blocks or items, needs a modloader type of thing for client side

i know that you can have mods, and run a LAN server, and people can use the stuff from the mods on the LAN server, because there is a modpack called "Tekkit Lite": that can do this. oh and Tekkit Lite adds a crap ton of mods.,.backpack mod being one of them!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome