Ubuntu 14, GTX 560 Low Frame Rates

discOtter's Avatar discOtter9/13/14 10:02 am
1 emeralds 191 3
9/13/2014 1:33 pm
eagoy's Avatar eagoy
So, I'm not sure if anyone's heard of this problem but apparently, in Ubuntu when using a GTX 560 (I have two of them), you'll get unnaturally low frame rates in Minecraft and some other Java-intensive programs.

So the story goes, I just finished putting together my new system made up of some parts I had laying around, and a couple new graphics cards (don't worry, I'm not an idiot, I got both of these things on Ebay for like $100). I planned on using it mainly for Steam game streaming to my laptop, a bit of Minecraft, and some other light games. In the system I have an Intel Core i5-3570k, two GTX 560s in SLI, a WD Blue 1TB HDD, and a Cooler Master 750W 80+ bronze PSU (I'm not sure the model, but its not defective). I don't have a copy of Windows yet, so I decide to install Ubuntu for the time being. The first thing I notice once it's set up is the immense lag when switching between windows in the UI. Sometimes it doesn't even allow me to do so. Eventually, I'm not sure how, it stopped. While my Steam games are installing, I decided to download Minecraft and lest it out. No matter the video settings, I was stuck at a maximum of either 24 or 7 FPS. Even if I didn't have a GPU in the system, it shouldn't have been this low considering that I've got a high-end i5 with Intel HD 4000. I haven't tested my PC out with other games yet but I'm about to do it right now. Thanks in advance!
discOtter
Level 47 : Master Giraffe