Terraria(1.2) Mod for MC(1.6.4)- In the Making

Aobocodo's Avatar Aobocodo11/29/13 9:37 pm
1 emeralds 13.1k 123
3/1/2015 10:26 pm
Ping0pong's Avatar Ping0pong
Although I may have seen 3 or 4 Terraria Minecraft mods, I have to be honest none of them held up to my standard... Also they were incredibly old and obviously inactive. For this reason, and because I felt like hopping into the modding world, I am giving it a go!

So far, I have this:
Copper, Silver, Demonite, Cobalt, Mythril, Adamantite, and Chlorophyte tools, ingots, ores, and blocks - next up is armors

I literally started this on Wednesday, by the way.

I will eventually add new mobs and biomes, and obviously better dungeons and underground jungles, but I need heavy development and learning first.

I have many other ideas, but I am a high school student with a rigorous course load, and a life outside of the computer. For this reason, progress may be slow while I'm in school (I only did this much now because of a 5-day weekend ) I will put as much time into it as I can, but please don't complain at me for going slow.

I can't post what I have now because a.) it would classify as a "simple new ore mod", which they don't want, and b.) because as a new poster they quality control everything.

I will update soon with screenshots, but in the meantime please post ideas, comments, concerns, funny jokes, bad puns, and anything else at least slightly related to my mod!

Thanks!
~Aobocodo
Aobocodo
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

PixelyPixel
11/29/2013 9:49 pm
This Looks Cool I Want to Make A Mod To But I DOnt Know How...
Aobocodo
11/29/2013 9:53 pm
Well, I cannot by any means teach you, but I can show you where I learned from-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgOQkz-TXmc

If you don't know at least basic Javascript it will be very difficult to mod, so I suggest you start there. Either way, have fun and good luck!
WhimsicalTuber17
10/08/2014 8:30 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect
How exactly does JavaScript relate to learning Java? They are hardly similar at all.
Aobocodo
11/29/2013 10:42 pm

Well, There you have it. I am posting these screenshots for three main reasons.
1.) I feel people will be more likely to support my project if they have some visual evidence.
2.) I wanted to make it excruciatingly clear why I feel no need to post the code so far. It is at this stage an empty mod.
3.) I wanted everyone to see that I could use some help with item textures

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks!
~Aobocodo
Ping0pong
12/01/2013 12:11 am
Level 40 : Master Geek
I am looking forward to this great mod!
Aobocodo
12/01/2013 12:23 am
Thanks I appreciate the thought.

LudicrousLets not forget the hammers...

I did think about this, but what role would they play? I will probably eventually fiddle with the system and just make them as slower, stronger melee weapons, but for now I need to finish with the armor. Any thoughts?

~Aobocodo
Ludicrous
12/01/2013 12:15 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Lets not forget the hammers...
Ping0pong
12/01/2013 12:19 am
*Let's
Wushington
12/02/2013 9:36 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Pokemon
I see the same mistake in your signature.
Ping0pong
12/02/2013 9:41 am
Well the thing is I didn't make my signature so..yea lol
Creeper_Modder
02/01/2014 6:18 pm
Level 21 : Expert Modder
*Lets
Aobocodo
02/01/2014 9:41 pm
Sorry, I like grammar. Let's in this context is a concatenation of "let us". It should be let's. Contexts that would use "lets" include the plural noun form of let, and the past verb tense of let.

Please don't troll on my forum, especially if you're going to be wrong.

~Aobocodo
Ping0pong
12/01/2013 12:27 am
How about a random chance of getting a special perk whenever you craft a tool, armor, weapon, etc.?
Aobocodo
12/01/2013 12:48 am
I like it, but i think I will make the perks more rare than they are in Terraria... and most likely they will just be regular enchantments- I will add new enchantments though!
Sorohka
01/18/2014 5:34 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Explorer
Well... that's in Terraria, and he is making a Terraria mod. xD
Aobocodo
01/21/2014 2:42 pm
Very true, and I'm not sure if I answered the question before, so yes, I will be incorporating that eventually.

Ping0pongTexturing Question for OP! Are you going to have a separate texture for the ore blocks and the ore items? Like, in Terraria it shows the ore block and when you mine it it turns into an item. Thanks!

I considered it, but decided that as I'm keeping the Minecraft smelting system, it's probably best to just leave it at one texture... Also the only ones leaving the regular ore format should be demonite and up.

School got cancelled because of snow and low temperatures, so I'm going to give another shot to fixing the world generation problem today. Wish me luck!

~Aobocodo
treyishuman
12/01/2013 12:58 am
Level 22 : Expert Button Pusher
Try and texture the swords to be like what they look like in-game, that would be much better.
Aobocodo
12/01/2013 1:21 am
right now I'm focusing more on the code portion, but eventually either me or some of my friends will redo the textures better... Right now they're pretty much recolored placeholders will do the job, but very poorly

Anywho, just for you guys I sat down and beat out the code for some armor!

This is me wearing copper, with a copper sword. The icons for the armor are in the background.

Judging by my busy lifestyle, with any luck by next weekend I will finish the other basic armors and their textures... I will keep checking this page throughout the week but don't expect any pics...

~Aobocodo

[EDIT]: I forgot how huge my screenshot pics are XD I rescaled it, so it should be fixed
Aobocodo
12/01/2013 11:15 pm
Hello everyone!

Wonderful news, my 4 page paper due tomorrow took me less time than I though it would, so I finished the code for the rest of the basic armors. Also, the mod is officially 1500 lines of code I haven't done any more textures, so I probably won't be getting into natural ore generation until next weekend if I'm lucky. I'll post textures throughout the week as I get them done.

~Aobocodo
Ping0pong
12/02/2013 8:24 am
Great job! I will see if I have time to create some textures for you...
Aobocodo
12/02/2013 9:22 pm
I do have one quick question if you want to help, do you have gimp/photoshop installed? If not you need to get one of them. Have you ever done any texturing/pixel art before?
Ping0pong
12/02/2013 11:01 pm
Yes I have GIMP. And I have my own texture pack for skyrim. I hope terraria will be easier. Glad I could help!
ASF
12/02/2013 9:04 am
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
I don't know if it'd be possible, but do you think you could make ore bricks? Like in terraria, how you combine a stone block and a piece of ore to get a brick?
Also, could you make each piece of armour look a little different? It'd be cool to see a new shape of armour (Especially the Chlorophyte armour)
Ping0pong
12/02/2013 9:16 am
I agree with you. If the mod creator would like me to do the textures I will. This guy knows what he's doing
zagejk
12/02/2013 9:19 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
dude.....this mod is fo shizzle. subbed. cant wait for it, I hope that if you do make bricks, you include iron, gold, and diamonds there. also, dont forget the colored torches. ^.^
Aobocodo
12/02/2013 8:52 pm
Thanks, I always appreciate a complement. It helps me motivate myself to go faster

Ping0pongGreat job! I will see if I have time to create some textures for you...

That would be great. If you can do the tools and weapons like they are in Terraria, and I will just keep making the placeholder textures. Don't let it get in the way of real life though.

Magicman88999I don't know if it'd be possible, but do you think you could make ore bricks? Like in terraria, how you combine a stone block and a piece of ore to get a brick?
Also, could you make each piece of armour look a little different? It'd be cool to see a new shape of armour (Especially the Chlorophyte armour)

Without a doubt possible to both inquiries. After I do the ores I'll see about the bricks. Also I hope I can figure out how to make mannequins to display armor. I always hated how Minecraft doesn't have them.

Wushington
Ping0pong
LudicrousLets not forget the hammers...

*Let's

I see the same mistake in your signature.

This is absolutely wonderful. It made a small part of me inside very happy.

Beyond that, today during my lunch break I textured all the helmet and legging item icons, still no pictures because I haven't done the textures of them when they're actually equipped. I just got home now, and I have some homework. Maybe tomorrow I'll have some free time in the afternoon to really get working.

I'm so glad you guys are supporting me, it really helps me do what I do to know that someone out there actually cares

~Aobocodo

[EDIT]: just a couple spelling errors
Aobocodo
12/02/2013 8:57 pm
Totally off topic, I really need to edit a Steve head onto my avatar
Aobocodo
12/02/2013 10:36 pm
Alright, one last post.

I'm getting faster at these textures, and I managed to finish all the armor icons and skins!

I'm only showing Chlorophyte armor because they're all essentially the same. I guess this means that tomorrow I will crack down on that natural ore generation bit.

~Aobocodo
Ping0pong
12/02/2013 11:25 pm
Oh, and what resolution do you want me to do the textures at?
xboxsmokey2
12/03/2013 8:54 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner

I'm so glad you guys are supporting me, it really helps me do what I do to know that someone out there actually cares

~Aobocodo

[EDIT]: just a couple spelling errors

Its not just "one" its about 10 now. This is going to be one of the best mods for mc. Can you try to add grappling hooks and jet boots?
jman0111
12/03/2013 11:06 am
Level 47 : Master Nerd
So the video you linked explains the basics of mods?
Aobocodo
12/03/2013 8:44 pm
xboxsmokey2Its not just "one" its about 10 now. This is going to be one of the best mods for mc. Can you try to add grappling hooks and jet boots?

Awww... Thanks! Rocket boots shouldn't be too hard. Grappling hooks may be a little harder. I'll need to study the Minecraft code a bit more first, that will be in the far future... Second thought it might not be as hard as I think. I would essentially use the code from the ender pearl teleport, then create some sort of invisible platform underneath the character. Anyways I have other more fundamental things to work on first.

Ping0pongOh, and what resolution do you want me to do the textures at?

just 16x16 should be fine

jman0111So the video you linked explains the basics of mods?

Yes, as I said it before, it's where I learned everything I know on the subject. But, if you don't know at least basic java it make very little sense.

More schoolwork tonight, I might be able to get about hour of coding in though. I'll post again once I've finished for the night.

~Aobocodo
Austin_Craft_
12/03/2013 8:52 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Dragon
Aobocodo
xboxsmokey2Its not just "one" its about 10 now. This is going to be one of the best mods for mc. Can you try to add grappling hooks and jet boots?

Awww... Thanks! Rocket boots shouldn't be too hard. Grappling hooks may be a little harder. I'll need to study the Minecraft code a bit more first, that will be in the far future... Second thought it might not be as hard as I think. I would essentially use the code from the ender pearl teleport, then create some sort of invisible platform underneath the character. Anyways I have other more fundamental things to work on first.

Ping0pongOh, and what resolution do you want me to do the textures at?

just 16x16 should be fine

jman0111So the video you linked explains the basics of mods?

Yes, as I said it before, it's where I learned everything I know on the subject. But, if you don't know at least basic java it make very little sense.

More schoolwork tonight, I might be able to get about hour of coding in though. I'll post again once I've finished for the night.

~Aobocodo

I'll help with some textures and if I can help in any other way, it'll be modding. I have experience in modding GDT (but it's probably one of the easiest games on the interweb to mod), and I'm also learning JS scripting. Let me know if you need any assistance in the following:

Modelling
Textures
Modding
Aobocodo
12/03/2013 8:59 pm
dwcjee244

I'll help with some textures and if I can help in any other way, it'll be modding. I have experience in modding GDT (but it's probably one of the easiest games on the interweb to mod), and I'm also learning JS scripting. Let me know if you need any assistance in the following:

Modelling
Textures
Modding

Thanks, i'll let you know. I think it would be best if you talk to ping about sharing the work on texturing. I won't need help with modeling until I get into mobs, but i'll let you know.

~Aobocodo
Aobocodo
12/03/2013 10:47 pm
Well, I have most of the code for copper ore spawning finished, but I'm getting an error causing it not to spawn. It shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm tired, so i'll take another look over it and finish what isn't done yet tomorrow. I did the textures for the ores over the weekend so that's already taken care of.

Sorry, I have no pics for you tonight.

~Aobocodo
Butterbacon16
12/03/2013 11:15 pm
Level 43 : Master Steve
I have been looking for a mod like this FOREVER. I love terraria, and minecraft and I even thought of making a mod for it, but I lack the skills for it! May I ask if I can help with the texturing of the different blocks and items? If you do, please skype or PM me! I would love to help!
zagejk
12/04/2013 9:24 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
I have just one request. EXCALIBER. made like a golden sword, but with a nether star as the tip of the sword? 30-40 damage, maybe?
Ping0pong
12/04/2013 12:42 pm
Awwwww....Even though this has nothing to do with terraria, I wish Excalibur would spawn in the world In a stone
Instant_ReplEH
12/04/2013 10:47 am
Level 31 : Artisan Fisherman
Looks fantastic!

Never seen a mod this extensive; progress this fast in a few days. Keep up the great work!
Aobocodo
12/04/2013 4:33 pm
Thanks, although that is partially because each armor/tool set is literally exactly the same code as the next. We'll see how fast I go when I get into the complicated things.

Butterbacon16I have been looking for a mod like this FOREVER. I love terraria, and minecraft and I even thought of making a mod for it, but I lack the skills for it! May I ask if I can help with the texturing of the different blocks and items? If you do, please skype or PM me! I would love to help!

Yes, I think you're the third one to offer... It would be great if the three of you could get in contact and collaborate your efforts, I would certainly appreciate the help.

Ping0pong
zagejkI have just one request. EXCALIBER. made like a golden sword, but with a nether star as the tip of the sword? 30-40 damage, maybe?

Awwwww....Even though this has nothing to do with terraria, I wish Excalibur would spawn in the world In a stone

It really wouldn't work, seeing as Excalibur is craftable and doesn't spawn. I may make a decorative "stone sword sheath" block so you can put make a sword in stone manually... project for a later time.

I have a paper to type, but I'll get back to work on the ore spawning tonight definitely.

~Aobocodo
JonMarc2131
12/04/2013 9:46 pm
This is amazing. I'm so happy you are making a Terraria mod. Thanks for taking time out of your life and doing something for the community. Also I have one question will you be adding bosses to the mod eventually?
Aobocodo
12/04/2013 10:18 pm
Thanks for the support! Yes, I will definitely be making bosses eventually. My only issue is that all bosses can pass through blocks, which would make them incredibly hard to combat in Minecraft... I haven't decided yet how to tackle that issue.

In other news, the error from yesterday was a wrong capitalization, all fixed up now. I would have gotten more done but I got distracted investigating electronic music genres on Wikipedia. There are lots of them.

This is me next to some copper ore. It works well, but I need to turn down the spawn rate. Its way to frequent as it is. I should be able to fix up the rest of the ores tomorrow now that I have a template.

One last thing. Today is officially the end of week one with progress on the mod. I probably put about 16-20 hours into it this week. It would be unrealistic to expect me to keep up at this rate, but I will work on it as much as I have time to

~Aobocodo
Ping0pong
12/04/2013 11:02 pm
@Aobocodo Great work! I have already started on some of the textures for the tools. For the people that also wanted to texture, PM me so we can do different parts.
Thanks
Ping
SneakyLunatic69
12/04/2013 11:40 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Birb
This looks pretty cool. Think you will add the monsters or even bosses?
Ping0pong
12/05/2013 9:16 am
Read previous posts...
mjdigit
12/05/2013 9:32 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Archer
Forge?
Aobocodo
12/05/2013 7:32 pm
Yes, it is forge

Instant_ReplEHI wansisis to pley wif dis modd

I'll post is once I'm finished setting up corrupt, crimson, and hallow biomes, ok?

GamersModsLet me know if you need any help.

I should be fine, but thanks for the offer.

I'm getting to work on the rest of the ores natural spawning, then i'll move to biomes. I expect i'll actually post to mod on Sunday. Just hold on a little longer!

~Aobocodo
Instant_ReplEH
12/05/2013 11:22 am
Level 31 : Artisan Fisherman
I wansisis to pley wif dis modd
GamersMods
12/05/2013 11:34 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Programmer
Let me know if you need any help.
Aobocodo
12/05/2013 8:45 pm
Alright, so according to the code everything should be generating correctly, but I looked around underground for a while and have yet to see mythril or chlorophyte, which for the record are very rare.

Now I will be making hallow, corrupt, and crimson stone, sand, grass, and wood.
Update on that with pics soon!

~Aobocodo
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome