Tips as I go into making my first mod without prior experience?

SwoozX's Avatar SwoozX8/5/19 3:12 pm
1 emeralds 134 1
8/7/2019 9:18 pm
FancyPMC's Avatar FancyPMC
So I made a long list of ideas for mods that I plan to create. The first mod I want to make I call "Better Base-building for Multiplayer", which adds mechanics allowing to more safely build above ground in PvP survival servers, so that hiding your base underground isn't the only way to keep it safe from raiding.

The catch is that I have absolutely NO previous modding experience nor have I used Java. Fortunately, I already have some computer science experience, having learned some C++ as well as having worked with Arduino. Both give me confidence with picking up a new language as well as operating in new development environments.

Additionally, I'm scared that the tutorial I choose will end up being a bit not solid because I'm looking for modding in v1.14, not v1.12.2. I understand that it is recommended to mod in 1.12.2 b/c of stability and all other big mods still being there, but there are too many features in 1.13 and 14 that I don't want to give up.

Can anyone give me tips for starting off when learning modding and making my first mod? Recommendations to tutorials/guides or other useful resources would be greatly appreciated. The set of tutorials I currently plan to use are from this playlist by Jorrit Tyberghein. I watched into his first video and he seems pretty good.
SwoozX
Level 5 : Apprentice Skinner