Quest ~ High end RPG ~ Initial debut - 10/30/13 ~ Recruiting

Geofied's Avatar Geofied10/30/13 10:08 pm
1 emeralds 1.8k 16
11/15/2013 10:39 am
madmax3004's Avatar madmax3004

A Nighttime Studios Presentation.

"An introduction of sorts."

Hello! My name is Ultimate Spartan, I am the founder of a mod team called Nighttime Studios which is composed of 8 phenomenally talented members, each and every one of them means the world to me and I would be nowhere without them.

These past few months we have been working very on hard on a massive mod that I am very excited to tell you about, and so it is with great pleasure that I welcome you to-

Quest

This mod is a full fledged, high quality, fantasy RPG mod. It will have a rich and in-depth story line while keeping the basic play style of vanilla Minecraft. It implements many RPG related features such as; Skills, Main and Side Quests, Classes, ect.. As well as some new and unique concepts. As far as Non RPG related features goes, it will include at least 3 new dimensions countless structures, 4+ bosses as well as many, many new mobs, hundreds of items and blocks, and much, much more!

I will update this thread as often as necessary with news and/or new features.

"So how do you plan on implementing a story into MC?"

Well, the way that we’ll try and implement the storyline into the game is in the following manor...

When a player fights a boss or talks to an important NPC they will drop a Journal page, once collected the item will disappear and its data will be placed into the Quest Journal. What is the Quest Journal you ask? Well it’s where the player will be able to read entries of the storyline that will help him/her further progress in the game. Here is a picture of the Quest Journal:

As you can see the journal looks like a standard book and the player will be able to flip through the entries once they have been stored. Now don’t worry this isn’t the only way the player will be able to experience the storyline, the other way will be in typical cut-scene fashion.

E.g. the Player arrives at the Crimson Mug Tavern, walks up to the bartender and right clicks him. A cut-scene would then commence showing the player asking about the bartender if he’d seen a small old man, with a tattered robe holding a staff with a mythical gemstone set in its pinnacle come through lately. The Bartender replies saying that a man of that stature did come through recently but if he wanted to know anything else it would cost him a price.

The NPC would then drop a Journal page where the player could re-read through the previous conversation should he please. On top of this the main quest would be updated saying that the bartender request 50 pieces of silver for the information about the old man. This leads nicely into my next point, Journal Tabs.

You probably saw that there are 4 little bookmark like tabs on the right side of the journal. These are (from top to bottom) Journal, Quests, Skills and Map. The journal tab is what I previously mentioned, the place where the entries will show up, stored and can be read at any time. Quests shows the active quests that the player has started. There will always be a “Main Quest” section on top and then underneath will be the side quests. The Skills and Map are pretty self-explanatory, skills will be a traditional skill tree with both active and passive skills, and the map tab will show a map around the player highlighting the places to go that are quest related.

*Storyline teaser - Coming soon!*

"What's in it so far?"

This is Psion, one of the new dimensions that is almost fully complete already, One of our head coders (Jimmy) is a dimension expert and has been working very hard on this new world. Everything that you see in this image is completely mod made. The small creature in the front is called the Riz. He is a passive mob and is purely for aesthetic purposes. The block, touch all serve a purpose, And when you hold the Gia berries in your hand the Riz will follow you around.

More Psion images coming soon. [/font][/color]

A few of the blocks that we have created are going to be used new structures, here are a few of them in the following picture. The new creamy looking block is "White Washed Planks" and the roof is made out of shingles. Like I said these are only a few of these type of blocks, there will be many more that will be used in structures like alchemy towers, Haunted dungeons, Sky temples. ect..

Here is one of the coolest blocks we've made yet, it's called the magic infuser and acts like a more advanced furnace. It also includes a swirly animation in the middle as well as a very nice particle effect. Oh, by the way, don't pay any attention to that other stuff you don't recognize ;D

Well these are just a teaser, there will defiantly be more pictures coming soon!

Models!

Alrighty! Here are a few of the many models that we have made, you can find there stats, names, descriptions and any other information concerning them on the wiki (coming soon!)

"STBAQ"

Soon to be asked questions

Q: Regarding any and all ETA questions
A: Unfortunately we can give no ETA on when there will be a public release of Quest. We will not release it until the story-line can be played from beginning to end and most kinks/bugs have been squashed. What I can say though is that the current version of the mod is in a.0.2.3 and there is still a lot of work to be done before it's beta, let alone v1.0 so it's going to be while.

However! there will be closed testing very soon! so stay tuned for that!

Q: I have an idea for the mod! how can I contact you?
A: Just send me a PM, However I can in no way promise you that your idea will be implemented into the mod, but It will be put into consideration if it's good.

Q: I have some skill and would like to join the team, how can I apply?
A: See the recruiting section.

"Recruiting"

There is currently one spot that we are actively looking for Animation and rendering coder. If you are one and would like to join the team, awesome! read the next paragraph to learn how to apply. Please note - This is the only position that we currently need, however even if you aren't one of them you can still apply.

How to apply - just PM saying a little about yourself and a lot about your skill. Get creative! the more info you include the better your chances are of getting accepted. Also say a certain amount of hours per week that you could commit to doing. One last thing! Including a Portfolio/previous works is a must!

"Who is Nighttime Studios?"

Special Thanks to:

Mojang

The MCP Team

The Forge Team

TheHippoMaster21

(He allowed us to use his animation api)

Xydium

Reitrahc

Coolman7976

CaptainMiner1999

Tntey

ClemTheTrollGuy8

surfermonkey1000

ghast67

pontanspir11

"Conclusion"

Well, that's all! Thanks for reading the whole post! Expect a massive update and other news very very soon! Also, If you want to show your support, we love to hear from y'all, so leave a comment saying whatever!

- Peace!

~ Nighttime Studios
Geofied
Level 12 : Journeyman Dolphin

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/15/2013 10:39 am
Level 36 : Artisan Ranger
madmax3004
What're the features as of right now?
I'd be more than happy to test stuff if you want?
also, Is it minecraft 1.6.*, or are you planning on making it for 1.7.*?
Not that it would matter that much, as we can change versions waaaaay more easy now with the new launcher.

Anyway, I can't wait untill it's done, good luck
11/14/2013 2:18 pm
Geofied
Updated the recruitment section, we are no longer looking for builders now that we've partnered with Team Vindicta.
11/07/2013 8:12 pm
Geofied
Awesome thanks! Sure, yea if you want to PM it that'd be perfect. Regarding model scaling, we really try to stray clear of that as it results in to much detail. In fact, a few of the models in the thread right now are in the process of being redone just for that reason. We like to find that balance between looking nice and professional, yet still Minecrafty.
11/07/2013 4:23 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
Link here: http://www.minecraft-smp.de/news.php

The guy you want to talk to is Manus, the site admin. IDK how you would implement it as I believe it is an extension to turbomodelthingy.

And I was working on some bipedal reptilian anyway, something like a humanoid dragon minus the wings, I assume you can scale the models, as I'm making it larger than it should be. Shall I PM you when it's done?
11/07/2013 1:44 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Ranger
Owen_
I love this, it's like oblivion or something in minecraft! Awesome keep up the good work!

EDIT: I just read this will be SMP compatible, you should add in donation features. Everyone loves a cape.
11/07/2013 12:46 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Ranger
madmax3004
I read Quest and RPG, clicked it, and damn, this looks like one of the best mods for minecraft ever, i'm mainly commenting so i won't loose this post, also subbed to you so i won't miss the mod once it's released, good luck,
11/07/2013 12:45 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Artist
minecraft022403
Amazing! I can't wait until this is out! When do you plan to release it?!?
The only mods like this are Aether and the Twilight Forest!
11/07/2013 12:35 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
Those models...

You've just made me feel inadequate about my own modelling skills.

I advise you got to Minecraft SMP.de and talk to Manus about his shapebox code, I'm sure he would allow you to use it, your modeller would find it very very useful. You can say I advised you to.

I can't build for tuppence, but if you need an auxilliary modeller I'm happy to help, if you need to see my work, well this here should persuade you, if not my models are in the thing in my sig (and avatar).

Click to reveal

Made this for Javabuckets Star wars mod, I mainly make sci-fi stuff, but I've wanted to try a few fantasy things, but the mod I help with doesn't need any. also, I textured that myself. And did I mention with the exception of the cockpit width, its proportionally identical to the T-65 X-wing blueprints.
11/07/2013 12:17 pm
Level 24 : Expert Dragonborn
41paladinman
So, what exactly does the "Builder" job entail? How does it work?
11/07/2013 4:16 pm
Geofied
I'm not entirely familiar with how a build team operates for a server, but I imagine that it works nearly the same way as it does for a mod. For our builders, we ask that they be active, this means being able to commit a certain amount of hours per week give or take. In addition to being active building wise, we'd also like for our members to be active in the chat, after all we are a 'team' and as such, communication is key. Of course there's no harm in not participating in conversations, but it does strengthen us as a group, besides, we're all very friendly : D Like all aspects of this mod, we will require some quality standard for our buildings, as well as an understanding of either world edit or voxelsniper. This is a fantasy / medieval mod so if you specialize in one of those than that would be preferable. Lastly, all of our builders, along with every member of the team, will receive a certain $% based upon their work, once we start to take income.

PrototypeThetaThose models...

You've just made me feel inadequate about my own modelling skills.

I advise you got to Minecraft SMP.de and talk to Manus about his shapebox code, I'm sure he would allow you to use it, your modeller would find it very very useful. You can say I advised you to.

I can't build for tuppence, but if you need an auxiliary modeller I'm happy to help, if you need to see my work, well this here should persuade you, if not my models are in the thing in my sig (and avatar).

Click to reveal

Made this for Javabuckets Star wars mod, I mainly make sci-fi stuff, but I've wanted to try a few fantasy things, but the mod I help with doesn't need any. also, I textured that myself. And did I mention with the exception of the cockpit width, its proportionally identical to the T-65 X-wing blueprints.

Very nice work! I would be happy to give you a position on the team if I could see your skill at fantasy creatures. If you'd like to try, perhaps attempt a magical deer like creature? or whatever you want : )

Also, thanks for the tip, do you mind sharing with me a link? I am infamously bad with finding stuff..

minecraft022403Amazing! I can't wait until this is out! When do you plan to release it?!? The only mods like this are Aether and the Twilight Forest!

Thanks mate! Well, don't expect it to be out for a while, like.. a long while. But! in the meantime, we will host events and beta tests to interact with the community.

madmax3004I read Quest and RPG, clicked it, and damn, this looks like one of the best mods for Minecraft ever, i'm mainly commenting so i won't loose this post, also subbed to you so i won't miss the mod once it's released, good luck,

Haha! this made my day! Thanks mate! xD

Owen_I love this, it's like oblivion or something in Minecraft! Awesome keep up the good work!

EDIT: I just read this will be SMP compatible, you should add in donation features. Everyone loves a cape.

Thanks for the support! We'll add in donation features in the next update so keep posted for that : D
11/07/2013 11:04 am
Geofied
10/30/2013 11:07 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Wolf
Colonellooo
AMAZING!! Do you mind if I do a Lets Play on it once it's released? Also is it multiplayer compatible?
10/30/2013 10:29 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
AFTGOG
After reading this, I am actually extraordinarily excited about this. Looks like one of the best mods I've seen. I am impressed.
10/30/2013 10:29 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Clutch2265
Wow that looks EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10/30/2013 10:23 pm
Level 24 : Expert Dragonborn
41paladinman
This looks amazing, great work! Also, DAT SWORD THO.
10/31/2013 4:22 pm
Geofied
Clutch2265Wow that looks EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AFTGOGAfter reading this, I am actually extraordinarily excited about this. Looks like one of the best mods I've seen. I am impressed.

dog51848AMAZING!! Do you mind if I do a Lets Play on it once it's released? Also is it multiplayer compatible?

Thanks everyone for the support! means a lot to all of us over at Nighttime Studios.

To answer a few questions- Yes, it is completely fine to do lets-plays of it, in fact, we'd LOVE to watch them! Yes, it will be multiplayer compatible, and I'll go even farther to say that we'll host our own server for the mod.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome