Big servers or just small Vanilla servers. Which one

ccarty60's Avatar ccarty602/3/16 3:55 pm
1 emeralds 167 2
2/3/2016 4:50 pm
guestds's Avatar guestds
I am just curious to know what you guys think and like about big servers and small vanilla servers.

I know people like servers like mineplex and hypixel but do you never get sick of them.
Do people still play old school minecraft anymore.

I have found out that it is very hard for a small server to become big because there are to many servers out there.

The good side to big servers.

There are loads of different games not alot of lag and there a lot of people to play with.

Bad side. Some bigs servers can also lag a lot, Have a lot of hackers.

Good side to small servers

You could have a small server but have a great community. You could have grief protections and stop hackers from getting on.

Bad side. Very hard to advertise unless you pay for it. Not a lot so if you get no donations it could be hard to keep the server going. Most people when they join a new server they straight away ask for staff so you could end up with no players at all.

I have had experience with owning my own server. It was a factions server and i was also going to build a hub but it was very hard to keep players on. Most of the time they wanted staff. When i said no they just left.

So just looking to get some feedback on what you think. thanks for taking the time to read this
Yours sincerely,
Conor
ccarty60
Level 2 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/03/2016 4:50 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Modder
guestds
ccarty60The good side to big servers.
There are loads of different games not alot of lag and there a lot of people to play with.
Bad side. Some bigs servers can also lag a lot, Have a lot of hackers.

the fact you said not alot of lag.... thats kinda true but only for fps lag but server lag makes it nearly impossible to play any bigger games unless you hope 2 players kill eachother at once and theres 3 players prior to that.... 3-2=1 aka you won hoping nobody would find you and smaller servers dont need much hack protection and also they only have grief protection on the creative parts of usually and even if its not factions you have high chance they dont fix it.... a server backed an area to prior grief but because the server was a claim server and the owner of the claim was offline and only they can kick them from the claim and i kept collecting items of the grief gave them to the admin that fixed it.... they wanted to stay unknown so i wont say their ign|if|you|realized|what|i|meant
02/03/2016 4:32 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Architect
DraXX
Large servers struggle to make the appearance seem personal. Mainly because they cost more to run for the hardware and bandwidth required. With this comes a bigger push on players to spend and vote. There are still those who do it for the passion of it, but they are far and few between. The best largest server I ever played on, with a nice community was Vox Populi.

It is difficult for new / small servers to provide enough variety in a world that is saturated with servers and experienced players. Even seasoned veterans have fallen foul of it (e.g. Favorlock with his Nyxcraft network. A prison server with custom plugins, highly polished, well advertised, large and competent moderator team, yet failed to pull in the numbers required).

With smaller to medium sized servers, it is fine if you already have an established brand name, some experience and an audience to draw from.
Smaller servers tend to survive better when you add more of a personal experience to it. I've had many memorable experiences over the years on small / medium SMP/Bukkit/Spigot/Tekkit/Direwolf servers than large ones.

So, big, or small? I prefer medium sized, as you get the best of both
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome