Old-School RPG ~~ Let's build an immersive experience.

MinecraftFrontiers's Avatar MinecraftFrontiers12/9/14 10:01 pm
1/11/2015 6:53 am
Nuanulla's Avatar Nuanulla

Minecraft Frontiers - Aiming to create a living world.

Tired of the same old servers with no innovation? Do you enjoy roleplaying games, exploration and a good story? Me too - and this project is aiming to build a playground for people like us!

Who am I?

My name is Tom, soon turning 23. I have owned a fairly successful Starbound roleplaying server a year ago. Since then, I have been trying to put together a Minecraft project that would breathe new life into the Roleplaying genre. I have always enjoyed good stories, exploration and the breath of mystery all of my favourite games offer. When I realised there are very few Minecraft servers focusing on an immersive roleplaying game, I couldn't stop to think of a server where players could relive all of the experiences I used to play games for.

Minecraft Frontiers

The project is named MF to symbolise a player landing in a mysterious land, colonising the new frontier. The setting is based on fantasy elements, but is also heavily inspired by actual history. Think Game of Thrones, a blend between fiction and life-like settings.
While most Roleplaying MMOs focus on quests, MF would be more of a free-roam experience. That means a player would not play in order to gain points, or rush towards one goal - but rather would play to explore, to interact with others and to shape the world around them as a result. The classic "quest after quest" approach promotes gameplay where you don't even enjoy the game anymore, but are instead sucked into a spiral with no sense of purpose. MF is trying the opposite, to give every player a sense of purpose.

Planned Systems

This is very much a work in progress. The idea is that every system should promote impactful gameplay - they should let players interact with the world and shape it through their actions.
I have started coding plugins myself to allow me deliver a project unlike anything else there is - and I've made quite a lot of progress over a short period of time. Below is a list of planned features, most of which are already in the making.

• Meaningful Crafting - a rich crafting system that really has value. The best items in the game will require rare ingredients, but also the knowledge of multi-step crafting recipes. If you want to make a sword that people will talk about, you will have to invest a lot of time and effort into the crafting process, but the result will be worthwhile.

• Dynamic Reputation - the actions of every player will be reflected onto their relationships with the world. Raiding a village may earn you some interesting rewards, but could also make neighbouring villages not share their services and knowledge with you. What you do will change how the world reacts.
  • Impactful Politics - the land you play on will be tied into a rich political system. This will give elected players the power to dramatically change the land every player plays on. Should the taxes be invested into opening a new mining area for crafters, discovering new dungeons for adventurers, or charting new land for sale to generate more profits?
  • Different Kind of Quests - the quests in MF are actually stories you and your friends play through. They will vary in the time they take to complete, so you can always choose the right adventure for you. Some will be traditional adventures into a dungeon, but other will be large-scale events that involve crafters, adventurers and explorers alike to live through the story.
  • Living NPCs - the ultimate goal is for the world to play itself. Even if there are no players online, the NPCs will go on and live their own lives. This will result in a brand new experience and will create a persistent playground for players to explore. It fully uses the powers Minecraft and PC gaming has to push the Roleplaying genre a step beyond.

Who am I looking for?

In short, anyone who is a fan of this idea.

I am not in need of a large team at this moment - I am working on my own and feel I can deliver everything described above on my own. At the same time, I wanted others to get involved should they wish to. This project will take time and should be seen as more of a hobby - a platform for roleplaying fans to work on.

Because people like bullet points, below is a rough outline of few areas where you could chip in. Keep in mind you could (and should) help in multiple areas, or help with something else completely!

• Game Design - help me come up with game systems that promote immersion.
  • Lore - if you enjoy writing, what we have is literally an empty book for you to fill.
  • Building - as more work gets done, we will gradually need more building to be done. From small test areas, to full towns and dungeons.
  • Websites - I do not have the time to work on the web stuff I have planned. If you are experienced in php, MySQL or websites in general, you can help.

If you are interested, feel free to leave a reply in this thread. Tell me a bit about yourself. I'll get back to you and this project will have one more passionate soul to work with!
MinecraftFrontiers
Level 2 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/02/2015 6:42 am
MinecraftFrontiers
Hope everyone is getting some quality rest after the New Year's Eve!

The team has been quite busy over the past few weeks, here is a little update of what we have been up to:

* Two maps have been world painted.

* The builders have put together over 80+ buildings and have begun working on the first town.

* Our lore writer has put together 3-4 pages worth of lore, which is starting to look more than interesting!

* The management and all of the staff have been discussing a lot of game-design questions, including dungeons, a unique player background system, reputation and progression systems, and much more.

*It is safe to say that if we manage to deliver NPCs to the level we are currently planning, it will easily be the most advanced AI simulation there has even been.

If you haven't gotten in touch with us yet, now would be the perfect time to do so! Just drop us a reply and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
12/28/2014 12:09 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Modder
AdrenalineNerd
Hi, my name is Grayson and i'm an 11 year old who makes games in his free time and home hosts a minecraft server. I would love to help with your projct because i love RPG's and Minecraft and I would love to see both of those worlds come together in an immersive platform. My skype is: Grayson Buchanan
12/28/2014 10:24 am
MinecraftFrontiers
We are not only looking for people with a lot of experience, but also anyone that is very passionate about immersive games. As long as you are a fan of creating something unique, dynamic and new, you are in the right place!
12/27/2014 8:31 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Crafter
Maxwell82
Merry X-Mas To All Too!
12/26/2014 6:07 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Crafter
Maxwell82
Hello! My Name Is Maxwell82 And im here to help you! I'm 11 right now almost 12 (Please dont judge me on my age i have been playing MC since 2010:) ) I'm here to apply for Game Maker and a Builder!
About My Building skills!
I'm best at building medivle witch most RPG are. I love to build and thats how I spend my fav day on MC! On a scale from 1-10 I think im a 9 or 8! I hope to Help You with building! Need some proof? On skype I will send a photo then a server IP with some builds!

About My Game Maker!
I have owned a RPG server with my friend and he made some money and crap but it lasted for a month ( It got a Ddos) Anyway me and him Would make up quests and then make them We had fun and all!
I can make a quest then Build it! I'm a nice and cool person to be with and I hope you like this apply! I hope I can help You in both ways! My skype will be below! If You need to ask me some more questions on skype im ok with that! (I hope I get both if i can!

~Best wishes and a happy new-year, Maxwell
12/26/2014 5:03 pm
MinecraftFrontiers
Merry Christmas from the Minecraft Frontiers team!

We hope you've been enjoying your holidays wherever your blocky paths took you.

Our project has been moving forward at a nice pace, slowly adding more and more features, buildings and content. Our list of ideas has been growing as well - and so has the list of people interested in making an immersive experience that is the first of its kind.

If you'd like to chip in, no matter the area, feel free to leave us a message and we will get in touch!
12/22/2014 11:00 am
Level 25 : Expert Architect
NASH0XX
This should be at the front page.
12/21/2014 5:46 pm
Level 1 : New Network
thatweirdkat
Is there a specific layout for an application?
If not, I shall write it out in a small paragraph or so.

My name is Ronnie, and I'm fourteen. I would like to help with your project because I am excellent at building. Too bad most of the servers in which I play on don't accept applications, but thank god I found an RP server that does! I am awesome at role play, but I don't usually do it often. Only when a role play event is happening, and sometimes when I have nothing to do. I could help players with in game commands, and I am friendly. I am a bit socially awkward, but not online. Maybe in like, voice chats or so. As you can see, I think I would make a good staff member via your server.
Reply when you can! Also, thanks for spending your time reading this application!

-Ron
12/21/2014 5:29 pm
Level 1 : New Network
thokie12
Role you are applying for: Builder

Name: Thomas M.

Minecraft Nickname: thokie12

Past Experience: I've helped with some server builds here and there, but this project look like something new and interesting.(i can build but I'm I'm certainly not the best builder but I'm open to new things as your project and hope to learn many things by helping you and others.)

Why are you interested in our project: it looks like a hole new world of minecraft as you discribe it and thats the kind of thing i like instead of the basic minecraft things.

Optional Comments: i hope to work with you in the future. I also have filled one in on your other topic but I don't know wich on you use for hire new people.

with kind regards,

Thomas
12/21/2014 2:46 pm
MinecraftFrontiers
I hopefully got back to everyone. Apologies for the slow response, took me a while to check back on this thread.

The project is moving forward at a nice pace, some of the custom plugins are already working, we have a few buildings done, the first island has been worldpainted and the first version of the website is out.

Feel free to get in touch if you are interested.
12/21/2014 3:14 pm
Level 20 : Expert Engineer
FranticOwl
Almost, you skipped me. No worries though. I am indeed interested in talking with you, please give me a call on Skype @ FranticOwl or message me here when you get the time.
12/18/2014 5:20 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
BinkyBoy
Hi my name is Bink and I have always wanted to create a project like this, but everytime I start working on it the team I am working with just stops caring. I have many great idea to make the server feel like an actual MMORPG. I also feel like you have some amazing ideas to bring into the Minecraft community and if this is done right the server will be very successful.(typed this on my ipad just PM me and I can talk to u more about all of the ideas i have and anything else you would like to know.)
12/18/2014 5:21 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
BinkyBoy
I also have a friend who is a very good coder who would also help.
12/17/2014 4:44 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
MinutestoMidnight
Hello, we're applying for builders.

Usernames: Aroura528 and Musikki528

Ages: 22 and 20

Timezone: Eastern

How long we've been playing: Several years

We have plenty of experience with medieval building and it's one of our favorites, proof is in the videos of our builds below.

Dedicated time: Several hours a day.

This server sounds like a great way to build amazing structures that people will actually see and enjoy instead of them just sitting on a plot unused.

What can we bring? Not only experience but amazing builds that have impressed many in the past and has won us plenty of competitions.

">">www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtF3s_oJdcs

">">www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcjwENJDDNM

">">www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJz-dNQNIJo&list=UUDTsfSRDUzIjVifguxmRWNQ
12/17/2014 2:56 pm
MinecraftFrontiers
Prototype_X9Anyhow, I'd like to write some of the lore.

Your essay seems quite nice. Possibly way more complex than what we are looking for at the moment.

Would you like to PM me your skype name and I'll get in touch?

Take care,
Tom
12/13/2014 6:31 am
Level 20 : Expert Engineer
FranticOwl
Hey there,

I love the idea you've set out here. I don't know if this is the same/similar project from a few years back that I saw here on the forums also having a "Frontiers" in the name? The whole concept sounds pretty great and surprisingly somewhat close to what I've been working on, or at least trying to do, for the last year and 2 months now.

A bit about myself:
I've been working on setting up my own server network the past year. We've come a long way and we believe that we have finally put enough development into it to make it a reality. I am passionate about helping other people, especially Minecrafters who are starting their own communities or working towards that.
I am also a fairly skilled builder in the building styles ranging from rustic, gothic, medieval and modern-styles. I also do some* graphics designing and my plugin experience on servers are very extensive. Programming is my best subject in school, but I have not yet started to code in java and javascript. Though php and mysql isn't one of my strong suits, I do know some linux Ubuntu and CentOS command lines. I've worked with setting up Multicraft and Enjin websites as well as some* webhosting on a private vps.

I'd very much like to help you out where ever you'd like. Perhaps we could join our ideas and create something together. What ever the case may be, please add me on Skype → FranticOwl or just message me here on PMC.
12/11/2014 6:40 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Benjyology
The second time I log into Skype, I get two girls asking me to fool with them. After a while, I felt like they were bots. They actually answered my questions, but sometimes they didn't answer my questions. It was extremely weird, and I kept wondering how they got my contact information. I thought it was MinecraftFrontiers until they started asking if I was into college girls or wanting to watch them do sexual stuff on the webcam. Does anyone know what this is or if it's common with Skype users?
12/11/2014 12:09 pm
Benjyology
MinecraftFrontiers
When it comes to voice, the call is only going to be immature/weird if the project leaders are immature/weird. If that is the case, you would be actually doing yourself a favour Skyping with them to find that out about them as soon as possible.

Good point!
12/11/2014 11:58 am
NASH0XX
Interesting project, mind if I add this to my article about Next Gen servers? This has to be in my list.

My article: http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/next-gen-servers/
12/11/2014 3:51 pm
MinecraftFrontiers
Good job on the article - hopefully it will spark more creativity in the community. Feel free to add our project to your list. If you could add a link pointing to this thread in return, that would be grand.
12/10/2014 7:47 pm
MinecraftFrontiers
Benjyology
My only concerns with using Skype is that I won't be included and everyone in the call will act like immature kids. Hopefully this won't happen, and I'll consider downloading Skype.

I see why you might be concerned with Skype, especially if you are unfamiliar with it.

The bottom line is that any decent project will require staff members to communicate with each other instantly whenever they are online. We use skype primarily for text-chat (and I think most teams do as well as far as I know).

When it comes to voice, the call is only going to be immature/weird if the project leaders are immature/weird. If that is the case, you would be actually doing yourself a favour Skyping with them to find that out about them as soon as possible.

Skype is quite useful just to communicate in general. The one downside is that having calls of 5+ people does get difficult, which is why I usually got TeamSpeak for large meetings. But for day-to-day chat, Skype is perfect and I suggest you try it out.
12/10/2014 4:27 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
GhostMC_King
I would like to help you with this Awesome Idea of yours and I am a Builder and I am a great Builder while I say that.
Examples:
[yt]VORbr4B5ADw[/yt]
[yt]d3zGsWJ2LxI[/yt]

My Main building types are Medieval and Fantasy.
I would not like to say my name and I like to keep it private and for my IRL Friends only, but you can just call me Ghost and my IGN is ghostdragoon3.

My skype is ghostdragoonblast and my Age is 13 but I sound very mature (age 15-16) and am very mature and I also hope that it is not to young for you.
12/10/2014 1:27 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
Apple ManPS3
I would love to help your server and I will build for you as long as I am needed. I will innovate the server and help as much as I can.

I will be able to be online most days but will still have school. I really want to help you with your intelligent idea with this server! I have a good imagination and will create some good stories for you if you want? I will try to help and will welcome new players but my concerns are directed at communication between players. I don't have Skype and am not allowed to by thy rules of my Mom. But I can P.M you my email so we can still correspond.

I will hope to help you soon with your server and I will do the best I can!

-- Apple
12/10/2014 12:10 pm
Benjyology
I don't know why so staff position servers require people to have Skype. It's become a tool in every Minecraft server that I don't find useful in terms of communication. People can live without it, but I can see why server owners would see its value.

My only concerns with using Skype is that I won't be included and everyone in the call will act like immature kids. Hopefully this won't happen, and I'll consider downloading Skype.
12/11/2014 12:02 pm
NASH0XX
Skype is one of the best mothods to stay in touch with someone and it's easy to use, it's important for server owners to have a lot of communication with the "staff" members, it's the best way for the members of the project to participate and get organized, not to mention the fact that they can talk to each other.
12/10/2014 8:53 am
MinecraftFrontiers
BenjyologyI'd like to help out your server by building during my free time.

We would love to work with you. That said, it doesn't look like you have Skype?

Skype is possibly the easiest way for a large group of people to communicate together, so it is important that everyone on the team has it.
12/09/2014 10:39 pm
Benjyology
I'd like to help out your server by building during my free time. I'll use my acquired skills to shape the world into a memorable, yet comfortable place. I may not be great at building huge cities, but I can definitely make traveling a fun experience. I have some experience in world edit, and I can shape structure designs to a cozy fitting.

I've had my fill at some popular role-playing games that offer in-depth storytelling. I can offer brilliant ideas for questing and gameplay.

Every little detail counts, at least that's what I think. If anything doesn't look right, from design to coding, I can spot them out. I have a good eye when it comes to mistakes, and I'm quick to correct them.

My name is Ben, and my gamer name is Benjyology. If you consider me for your project, I'll be more than happy to help out where needed. I truly admire that you're capable of setting up a server by yourself. I've tried multiple times, but I kept getting stuck with the plugins. My ideas and design will surely not disappoint you!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome