Opinions on Server Site?

meowsome's Avatar meowsome3/17/16 6:47 pm
3/18/2016 6:13 pm
Flappo's Avatar Flappo
Hi there! I've had a Minecraft server called Nogard for almost a year now, and I just updated the website and the forum. I coded the website myself (besides using Enjin for the forum) and I would like some opinions on it. I figured this would also be a good opportunity to maybe even get a few new players as well. Both the site and the server can be accessed at nogard.us. So, what do you think?
meowsome
Level 28 : Expert Pokemon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/18/2016 2:48 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
Alluminus
Your not allowed to sell ingame currency. Its there eula. Read here

https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-se ... etisation/
03/18/2016 6:11 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Network
Flappo
True. Only if you do it on a ''reasonable/fair'' way.
Like Hypixel's currency system.
03/18/2016 2:39 pm
Flappo
That's not 100% true.
The EULA clearly says:
*give copies of our Game to anyone else;
*make commercial use of anything we've made;
*try to make money from anything we've made; or
*let other people get access to anything we've made in a way that is unfair or unreasonable.

As long as Mojang finds it a reasonable way and it's not a direct item like an enchanted sword or 20 ingots. You're fine.
Otherwise servers like Mineplex or Hypixel would be offline already...
03/18/2016 2:53 pm
meowsome
That's what I was thinking. I've seen so many servers that have donations and people constantly donating for new stuff on those servers, I couldn't see how that would work. Is it okay to, for example, sell a specific item from a plugin? Like money in the game, or a crate key?
03/18/2016 6:13 pm
Flappo
Crate keys, no. Only if you do it for voting. < Tripwire hooks or whatever you use is an ingame item just with an extra purpose.
Things like particles are allowed because these are parts of minecraft and you made something new an unique out of them with out own imagination. As a reward, Mojang allows you to monetize that.
You could give them a /code <code> command for the coins. And that they get the code when they vote for example. Basically like Hypixel manages their Facebook like rewards.
03/18/2016 2:24 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Latiodile
Drqgon
So I can't have donator kits at all? How come every other server I've been on has them?

who knows, its better to keep it safe and not have them..., besides.. if people liked your server, in general.. they wouldn't need kits and game changing features ( also against the eula to sell) in order to donate, and face it.. NOBODY likes pay to win servers
03/18/2016 2:21 pm
meowsome
LatiodileUnless i've been reading it wrong this entire time.. someone can reiterate through it for me to remind me

MojangONE MAJOR RULE

The one major rule is that you must not distribute anything we've made unless we specifically agree to it. By "distribute anything we've made" what we mean is:

*let other people get access to anything we've made in a way that is unfair or unreasonable;
unless we specifically agree to it. And so that we are crystal clear, "the Game" or "what we have made" includes, but is not limited to, the client or the server software for our Game. It also includes updates, patches, downloadable content, add-ons, or modified versions of a Game, part of those things, or anything else we've made.

Otherwise we are quite relaxed about what you do - in fact we really encourage you to do cool stuff - but just don't do those things that we say you can't."

*try to make money from anything we've made;

Last time I checked, donator kits break this rule. you might not have donator kits, but your site is far too vague for what it tells you that the kits have

So I can't have donator kits at all? How come every other server I've been on has them?
03/18/2016 2:07 pm
Latiodile
Unless i've been reading it wrong this entire time.. someone can reiterate through it for me to remind me

MojangONE MAJOR RULE

The one major rule is that you must not distribute anything we've made unless we specifically agree to it. By "distribute anything we've made" what we mean is:

*let other people get access to anything we've made in a way that is unfair or unreasonable;
unless we specifically agree to it. And so that we are crystal clear, "the Game" or "what we have made" includes, but is not limited to, the client or the server software for our Game. It also includes updates, patches, downloadable content, add-ons, or modified versions of a Game, part of those things, or anything else we've made.

Otherwise we are quite relaxed about what you do - in fact we really encourage you to do cool stuff - but just don't do those things that we say you can't."

*try to make money from anything we've made;

Last time I checked, donator kits break this rule. you might not have donator kits, but your site is far too vague for what it tells you that the kits have
03/18/2016 2:05 pm
Flappo
My own profile picture is also ''stolen'' from Google Images so I don't blame others who do the same.
03/18/2016 1:44 pm
Flappo
''Stealing'' things from the internet isn't bad. But ''stealing'' bad things from the internet is bad.
Maybe make your own not so detailed animation for that?
I mean, this is a like 1000x1000 gif.
You can also make a simple, good looking 20x20 gif.
03/18/2016 1:47 pm
meowsome
Alright, sounds good
03/18/2016 1:35 pm
meowsome
- You are breaking the eula and that's illegal and your server could be shutdown by Mojang.

Get rid of the donator kits. if you want to get big, someone actually can report your server for breaking the eula now

Most of you have said I'm breaking the EULA. What part of the EULA am I breaking?? How am I breaking it??

But, try to remove that white line around the dragon.

What's with the white pixels?

I did find that gif for the loading screen on the internet, I could just switch it out with another one...

But I reccomend you use something like MyBB or Wordpress.
And If you really want to get professional, try something like Xenforo.

@MrMidnight Alright, I'll have to try something out!

The whole site is extremely laggy on mobile, i think it's because of the "snow" effect thingies

@Latiodile I will remove those for mobile. Sorry bout that.
03/18/2016 7:35 am
Latiodile
I have an issue with the first thing that i see when loading in the page

What's with the white pixels?

The whole site is extremely laggy on mobile, i think it's because of the "snow" effect thingies

Get rid of the donator kits. if you want to get big, someone actually can report your server for breaking the eula now

That's all i can explore for now. Because the site is too laggy and unviewable on mobile.
03/18/2016 5:11 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Mage
ssproad
Pros:
- Nice design.
Cons:
- Home, forums, etc aren't capitalised.
- You are breaking the eula and that's illegal and your server could be shutdown by Mojang.
03/18/2016 5:04 am
Flappo
Enjin is nice if you have premium and configure it well.
But I reccomend you use something like MyBB or Wordpress.
And If you really want to get professional, try something like Xenforo.
(Xenforo also has extensions for wiki, news page, etc. So it's not only a forum!)

Nice loading screen idea tho, very unique!
But, try to remove that white line around the dragon.
03/17/2016 8:29 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
My explanation skills have derped, sorry ^.^

"I know the enjin site doesn't work with everything else, but they have very limited themes unless you pay. Perhaps ill try making some kind of forum myself?"

That is the fundemental problem with using enjin - going free doesn't really let you do much with customization. It's an all or nothing thing as Enjin wants you to stay with them, and most efforts to make mixed sites (partially your own, partially enjin) don't work out that well design wise. You can do well with enjin, but I think it would be simpler if you either stuck with just using enjin or set up a forum structure that better allows you to do stuff.

If you're looking to improve your skills making a forum of your own is a longer project, but it teaches you things, useful things.

" What do you mean by suggested staff ranks layout...? And what does that comment about using groupmanager for doner permissions have to do with anything? I don't mean to be rude, I'm just a little confused is all. Thanks!"

I went out and looked at specific threads, I probably should have linked them. The layout was from a thread in the forum suggesting a structure for the staff ranks, doner perms was an external response to the discussion where the helper wanted to know if he would lose his doner perms with the helper rank and you mentioned you could re-add them manually. If using groupmanager, you can simply add the doner rank as a subgroup and the job is done. Can't tell ya much if it's PEX you're using, though.
03/17/2016 10:41 pm
meowsome
Oh, alright. Thank you very much. I could just hire someone to do it for me, which would be a ton easier, but I'm not sure I'm ready to throw a bunch of money at my server just yet, since there's not even a steady playerbase yet
03/18/2016 10:18 am
raidarr
If you would really like I can come on and look at the site, possibly improve it/help ya make stuff w/another platform.
03/17/2016 7:23 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
realComputerTurtle
ArenaSnowThe enjin site doesn't blend. Having worked in web design I am a bit picky about when you click one part of a site and it is completely contrasting the design and layout of another part. For minecraft, it works.

+1 to Turtle's suggestions.

100% agree with this,
and thank you, haha.
03/17/2016 7:17 pm
raidarr
The url itself is alright. It's a bit of a shell, but you don't really need more than that, eh?

The enjin site doesn't blend. Having worked in web design I am a bit picky about when you click one part of a site and it is completely contrasting the design and layout of another part. For minecraft, it works.

Going slightly off center I'll +1 the suggested staff ranks layout. It's a solid and simple system. I'm not sure semi-admin perms on a helper, as it appears to be otherwise, is the best idea.

If you're using groupmanager you can give players their doner permissions using /manuaddsub <player> <doner rank>.

+1 to Turtle's suggestions.
03/17/2016 7:22 pm
meowsome
What exactly do you mean its a bit of a shell...?

I know the enjin site doesn't work with everything else, but they have very limited themes unless you pay. Perhaps ill try making some kind of forum myself?

Again, I'm kind of confused by this part. What do you mean by suggested staff ranks layout...? And what does that comment about using groupmanager for doner permissions have to do with anything? I don't mean to be rude, I'm just a little confused is all. Thanks!
03/17/2016 6:59 pm
realComputerTurtle
Initial Thoughts: The home page (noguard.us) looks pretty nice 7/10
When entering forums: It's fine (I know it's a template from enjin) but it's fine 5/10
All other tabs (contact, store, etc) look nice aswell another 7/10
03/17/2016 7:05 pm
meowsome
Thanks!! See any things I could improve on?
03/17/2016 7:11 pm
realComputerTurtle
Well first off, maybe a custom made Forums? I see you're getting into website development, and that could give you a nice challenge, along with giving the forums a unique look and feel.

Small but still something good to do, mess around with an fix the "Contact" section, it was confusing for my little brain to use at first.

Other than these, you're fine .
03/17/2016 7:14 pm
meowsome
Alright, cool. Thanks.
03/17/2016 7:17 pm
realComputerTurtle
I just might have to come on and check out the server
03/17/2016 7:23 pm
meowsome