Question about server linking

HyperShock's Avatar HyperShock1/5/18 2:04 am
1 emeralds 182 5
1/5/2018 8:49 pm
HyperShock's Avatar HyperShock
Hey, I'm HyperShock_

I have a question regarding server linking. I'll explain via an example.

Lets say the FreezeMC Network wanted to open a new Skywars minigame. They already have a big player base, so they know that they will need multiple servers for the same game. Do they buy one server and include skywarsLobby1, and all the different skywars maps. Or is that done on seperate servers.

I know this may sound a bit confusing, but I tried my best to explain.

If you need clarification just lmk.

Thanks, HyperShock_
HyperShock
Level 1 : New Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/05/2018 6:27 amhistory
Level 15 : Journeyman Network
Flappo
I think you're explaining Hypixel's (but also many other's) system of automatically creating new servers when there's demand for them on that gamemode. If that's it, I'll try to explain.

All servers on networks like Hypixel are seperate, meaning they are not connected through any multiverse plugin magic. Networks like Hypixel and Mineplex typically buy large dedicated spaces where you can run like a hundred servers simultaneously.

If a player presses a sign or button to join a game the system will check for possible servers to join and otherwise create a new one with a script. Thanks to the script it will create the right files for that gamemode and connect it to the network. Such a script would look a bit like this: https://github.com/mmichaelis/minecraft-setup/blob/master/minecraft.bat
I couldn't find a more recent one from a network itself, sorry for that.

When the game is done the server will be cleaned by simply removing it. Keep in mind networks this big often don't just use BungeeCord but a modified version to make all this easier.

I hope this is clear enough and answers your question.
01/05/2018 2:05 pm
HyperShock
Thanks that was really helpful too.

But you know how there is a central hub (the main area), and there are smaller lobbies for each of the mini games and then there are all kinds of different maps for each mini game.

I was wondering if do 1 lobby, and all the maps go in the same server. And there are just multiple servers. Or is there a separate server for each map and lobby.

BTW when i say lobby i dont mean the main hub, i mean the mini game waiting room things.

Does that make sense?
01/05/2018 2:16 pmhistory
Level 15 : Journeyman Network
Flappo
I think I got that.

It is completely up to the network but keeping everything seperate is cleaner, easier and faster. Typically everything is a seperate server on these networks. Almost nothing is actually static in a big network. Meaning that even lobbies and hubs can increase and decrease in amount when needed.

We are talking about a network here because it is a network of servers linked together. These days if you join a big server, you rarely join just that server. You join a string of servers connected, but only joinable through one main server. Typically the BungeeCord server which manages all incoming users and redirects them to where they should go.

Back in 2013 when Hypixel was just starting, they often ran over 800 seperate servers on MCProHosting. twitter.com/hypixel/status/356772917406732289
That number is probably pathetic to what they do today. This very well shows how big these networks can get without actually realising.
01/05/2018 8:49 pm
HyperShock
Wow thats crazy!

I'm assuming you have to build a system to buy and delete servers, and that there isn't and existing one correct?
01/05/2018 3:27 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
ITechnologyman
Each game should be its own server aswell as lobby
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome