So I made a few skins...

Platydroid's Avatar Platydroid11/24/13 10:58 pm
11/29/2013 4:09 pm
Midnight's Avatar Midnight
Well, I have finally gotten into skinning, and I can tell you, it's a lot harder than it looks to make a quality skin. I have made only two so far, but I want some feedback on them so I can get better (and let's be honest; nobody comments on the actual skin page).

Here are my skins:
First one: http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/platydroid/
Second one: http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/fir ... n-general/

What do you guys think? Leave a comment with your opinions, I really want to hear them!
Platydroid
Level 32 : Artisan Dragon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/29/2013 4:09 pm
Level 46 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Midnight
11/29/2013 3:13 am
Level 21 : Expert Pony
XxSophieFxX
Good job for ur first skins ! ♥ They are awesome!
11/29/2013 2:43 am
Level 38 : Artisan Goblin
Spector
they both look good! try to work on the shading though.
11/25/2013 7:24 pm
Level 28 : Expert Archer
Katalisa
Well, like most people said, try using a shading (Atfirst i just used noise ;3;) but shading is really easy if you can just find a good skin program (Again, like most people McSkin3D is probably the best option) But, my skins are not always perfect i know. Including my first skins, so overall good job
11/25/2013 7:11 pm
Platydroid
[quote="Neptonic"][quote="Platydroid"]it's a lot harder than it looks to make a quality skin.[/quote]
[size=180][u][b][center]THE GODS ARE WITH THIS ONE, AND ALLOW HIM TO SEE CLEARLY![/u][/b][/center][/size][/quote]
Lol it's true!
11/24/2013 11:42 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Neptonic
Platydroidit's a lot harder than it looks to make a quality skin.

[size=180][u][b][center]THE GODS ARE WITH THIS ONE, AND ALLOW HIM TO SEE CLEARLY![/u][/b][/center][/size]
11/24/2013 11:35 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Prince
MayuriYandere
better than my first skins for you all i would say is the general, work on shading and hue shifting some more
11/24/2013 11:34 pm
Platydroid
Unnumbered TearsYeah, it's a lot of reading, but... (assumes your teacher's voice) You MUST do your homework if you look to improve! (regular voice back again)
Good luck

Thanks alot for the resources, I will definitely check them out! I appreciate your tips, you are a pretty good artist yourself!
11/24/2013 11:27 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Artist
Unnumbered Tears
Ugh I was writing out a long reply, but it was a few paragraphs at the very least, and it had so many links and pictures in it I guess it could have been a blog... I can't find anyway to make it short. Just find a skinner who's style you really like, and observe how they do it, whether they have highlights, if they hue shift, if you like the "blocky" type of skin, or one shaded with enough detail to make it look curved, etc. Don't copy any of their skins, but observe their style, and try to shade your skins the way they do theirs. It will get better and better, until you begin to see that it has evolved into your own style, and you will have your own good, unique way of skinning.
Ugh, I just can't find the right way to say it
Here are a few art tutorials you might want to take a look at:
A way to shade hair:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/how-i-shade-hair---a-pictorial/
A way to make your arm shading better:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/how ... -and-legs/
Shading with hue shifting:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/100 ... and-stuff/
An example skin, with highlights, shading, and all that jazz:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/yuk ... -tutorial/

Yeah, it's a lot of reading, but... (assumes your teacher's voice) You MUST do your homework if you look to improve! (regular voice back again)
Good luck
11/24/2013 11:18 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
For your first skins, they look fantastic!
11/24/2013 11:09 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Architect
J8054
Good Job! You're right about skinning being difficult, but a site that has an easy to use skin maker is newgrounds skincraft. I reccomend it. And please subscribe!
11/24/2013 11:18 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Poro
Svenskeren
You're technically not allowed to use online skin makers, like NovaSkin, Newgrounds, and other poop like that. I suggest you use MCSkin3D. It is made by Paril here on PMC.
11/25/2013 7:49 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Answer
TheViridian
Wrong-O. As long as the skin you make is 100% made by you, it's fine. Don't worry, multiple site mods have said so.
11/25/2013 8:45 pm
Platydroid
Oh, OK thanks for clarifying this. I just mainly use them for checking out what they look like in 3D anyways (and occasionally tweaking them if I see anything), but you know what they say, The more you know!
11/24/2013 11:21 pm
Platydroid
Yea what I do is I generally use paint.net and then upload onto some online skinners to check out how it looks. I go back and forth with this until I get something I like. Does this break any rules/guidelines?
11/24/2013 11:25 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Poro
Svenskeren
I'm not really sure, although you could check with a site mod, first.
11/24/2013 11:25 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Network
SkinSkyrim
Nope thats basically using a 3d viewer witch is perfectly fine
11/24/2013 11:14 pm
Platydroid
Well this is pretty cool. I didn't even know this existed. I was just using another online skinner that I found after tweaking it in paint. Thanks for this, it looks kinda helpful!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome