I'm thinking about it, maybe i will.

SuperScorpion's Avatar SuperScorpion3/30/16 6:37 pm
3/31/2016 11:42 am
DepthStrider's Avatar DepthStrider
Hey guys, recently i have found out paint.net and various other programs can be used for skinning and are very useful for it, i would like to ask if it's a good idea to use them for skinning because i'm not sure. Anyways, i hope you help me out with my question and give me a answer, thanks!
SuperScorpion
Level 20 : Expert Skinner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/31/2016 4:00 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Modder
OhLookItsHeybrid
Although I don't do much skinning, for all other art (and any skinning I have done) I use GIMP. It has a lot of the features of Photoshop for free which means that if you eventually upgrade then you won't have any problems. Plus it has loads of great tools which actually aren't as hard to learn as it looks.

Hope this helps!
03/31/2016 1:24 am
Level 28 : Expert Button Pusher
yoda473
Not a big fan of paint.net myself, I prefer MCSkin3D and even just standard old Paint for palettes and the like.
03/30/2016 11:22 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
EmmieStitch
I don't know if you'll call me a noob if I say this but I use Skindex to make my skins. It is pretty easy for shading and switching between Alex and Steve models. However if I am entirely off topic and not understand what this is about I apologize. This is just my input on the topic Although you mention masks and layers through gimp so if that is the type of program you are looking for than never mind lol. Skindex is good but not that advanced xD
03/31/2016 9:10 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Artist
DepthStrider
Imo the program doesn't determine if you're a noob or not. It's experience and skill that determines that.
03/31/2016 9:37 am
Level 1 : New Miner
EmmieStitch
Thanks for that...I ment in terms of what the discussion was about xD I like skindex because of how easy it is and it is online so you don't have to download anything.
03/31/2016 11:42 am
DepthStrider
You're welcome ^^. For some reason all websites with that specific 3D skin editor (for example novaskin has like the exact same editor) lag me out like crazy.
03/30/2016 8:26 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Modder
jtrent238
MCSkin3D is a Great Tool Great Tool

http://www.planetminecraft.com/mod/mcskin3d/
03/30/2016 8:17 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Magical Girl
BIO
Use gimp if anything. Lots of useful masking tools, marquees, and layers are always helpful.

Or, if you have money, by Photoshop. 100% worth every cent.

Also, if you are looking for a 3D preview, I recommend, "LookAtMySkin," by Good, a prevalent skinner here on PMC.
03/30/2016 7:26 pm
DepthStrider
I really wanna try MCSkin3D but it doesn't work for me :I
03/30/2016 8:13 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Mage
dontcomefindme
What's your problem with it?
03/30/2016 8:42 pm
DepthStrider
I can't really pinpoint it, but the program just crashes after the loadup screen.
03/31/2016 11:28 am
dontcomefindme
Can you send a report to Paril, or you really can't do anything about it?
03/31/2016 11:40 am
DepthStrider
Well the program popped up with an error saying that a report to PMC or something like that would be appreciated. So I just copied the error message and well, waiting like everybody else that seem to have problems with it.
03/30/2016 7:06 pm
dontcomefindme
I've used Paint.net for quite a while now, but I've recently changed to MCSkin3D because it's soooooo much easier to manage skins! They have everything laid out for you, and you can see the progress on a model. I do use Paint.net though for copying colors from palettes to the skin and using tools I can't use in MCSkin3D. I'd say the two are a good combo.
03/30/2016 6:47 pm
Level 1 : New Network
thomesh
Paint(DOT)net is a good program to use for allot of things. I used it for ~3+ years before moving on to photoshop and would say it is very good for creating skins.
If you're brand new to the program, it'll take some time to get the hang of things but once you've got it you'll be a skin making pro.

tl;dr: yeah, its good
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome