Fureniku's Avatar Fureniku5/17/14 7:20 am
1 emeralds 321 4
5/18/2014 11:19 am
Fureniku's Avatar Fureniku
Hey guys

I'm here to request either one of two solutions:
1. The Mods section divided into two categories: Mods and Tools
2. Stricter rules for the Mods section.

Recently, I've noticed a LOT more Bukkit plugins are appearing in the mods section.
Technically speaking, Bukkit plugins are different to mods, but that's not the point here.

dev.bukkit.org is the official repo for all bukkit plugins. By posting your plugin on there, it goes through a verification process, and is only approved once it's verified to not contain any malicious code (such as an auto-opper). Therefore, by not using that service, your mod isn't being screened. That means, any malicious code will make it onto the end players servers, which is bad for them. This is the primary reason that dev.bukkit.org exists.

Also, Curse will PAY you for your content. Tiny amounts, but a lot of people seem to be unaware of this. For every download you get, you get a fraction of a credit, and those credits can be exchanged for Amazon or PayPal vouchers.

I've also noticed a lot of "tools" appearing in the mods section recently. Things such as a modpack creator, or even a pricing guide reference sheet... Again, these aren't mods.

So, my suggestion is this: Keep the Mods section for actual mods only - Anything on forge, liteloader, modloader... even basemods. Tools - including server-only plugins like Bukkit, should either have their own section, or just not be allowed on the site.

This is my opinion of course, and I'm sure that the bukkit plugin developers will disagree with me. I only state this because right now us Forge modders don't have a single, dedicated, central repo. The curse one for forge mods is still in very early stages and isn't used anywhere near as much as it could be.
Fureniku
Level 88 : Elite Modder