Bump submissions in less than 24 hours.

itsatacoshop247's Avatar itsatacoshop2471/9/13 6:28 pm
1 emeralds 2.2k 25
1/28/2013 9:43 pm
Azie's Avatar Azie
As of now, you can only bump a submission every 24 hours. Exactly 24. So If I want to bump my post at 4pm everyday, it becomes 4:01, 4:02, etc etc. And thats even if I'm perfect on timing, which I usually am not. I end up getting pushed back nearly to 5pm or something, and then miss a day of advertising to get back to 4pm.

Lessening the bump time to something even like 23 hours and 30 minutes would give a grace period of 30 minutes to get daily bumps in. Many video games like League of Legends and World Of Warcraft give out daily win/daily bonuses every 22 or 23 hours so that people will not be offset by the annoyingness of exact 24 hour limits.

tl:dr; bump every ~23.5 hours instead of 24hrs so that you don't have to move back in time each day

Edit: Added a poll
itsatacoshop247
Level 32 : Artisan Modder

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Azie
01/28/2013 9:43 pm
She/Her • Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump Pokemon
You could always just bump every 23.5 hours. Nobody is going to report you for that...

And if they do, they have some issues. Even I wouldn't complain if it was that close to the 24 hour requirement.
Paril
01/28/2013 9:12 pm
He/Him • Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat Programmer
24 hours is the perfect time between bumps as it's the time our servers would roll over to the next day. It would seem weird if a server was bumped on the same day with our time approximations.

It really shouldn't be that much of an inconvenience, in theory you should be able to bump the same time each day.

No, we will not give extra features to higher levels. Every user on this site is on an equal playing field. You can't throw experience/money at us and expect to get your server noticed more.

-P
couljj
01/28/2013 9:22 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Goblin
Paril is a cyborg. Everything he says is logical.
Fokkusu
01/11/2013 5:11 am
Level 43 : Master Fox
Unlocked as I see no reason this should have been locked despite my stand on the matter.

To the mod who locked it: Put a reason next time. You muppet.
Whoever01
01/28/2013 9:13 pm
Level 47 : Master Princess
Who locked it?
itsatacoshop247
01/28/2013 9:07 pm
Thanks for unlocking. Bump I guess?
SilverKytten
01/09/2013 11:56 pm
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
itsatacoshop247
I am the OP and itsatacoshop247, so that was me twice you are replying to

I am coming from a server owner point of view on all of this, since that's all that I submit to Planet Minecraft, should have clarified that in the main post maybe. Fairness is obviously important, but I think letting people have an easier schedule to update once daily would (at least for server bumps) be more fair as it means everyone can get a daily bump in.

Whoops! Did not notice that, at all.

I'm also coming from the server owner point of view.. If you take a look at the server section, you can see that it's all spam. There are even people who have more than one server submission, and they update them all at the same time. There are also multiple people with submissions for the same server. Honestly, 24 hours is a very short time, and I feel it should be longer - Especially for servers that have only been up for a few months.. But cutting the time would be painful for everyone, whether they be looking for servers or advertising their own.. And though it doesn't seem like it, it would cause a lot of stress to PMC, since there would be more people updating and they would also be updating more frequently.. While that wouldn't be an issue for a stable site, PMC already crashes a lot.
Amra
01/09/2013 11:42 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Architect
I think you should just do a poll or something because talking about it here won't do much:/
itsatacoshop247
01/10/2013 1:30 am
Well talking about it will display options to people who are undecided, or at least provide a platform for people to sway others/show opinions.

But a poll is good too, so I made one (didn't know I could when I first posted).
kid_Amazing
01/09/2013 11:41 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
I agree
itsatacoshop247
01/09/2013 11:35 pm
SilverKyttenThe only submissions that should be getting bumped, every day, are servers. Everything else can only be bumped using the update log, and unless you actually have something to update about the submissions, 'bumping' is update log abuse.

itsatacoshop247Back on the main topic, another idea I have is to just make it once per day bumps. The PlanetMC time is already logged in UTC, so just relate to that. Then you can bump once per calender day. So I could bump at 11pm on the 8th, 1am on the 9th, but then not again until the 10th at any time of that day. I have a bukkit plugin that does this by giving out items once per calendar day, so it doesn't punish people who can't come every 24 hours due to school/work/etc.

That's a good idea, in theory. But people would still abuse it. If people didn't abuse updates, then I doubt there would even be a limit. "I could bump at 11pm on the 8th, 1am on the 9th" That's what the 24 hour rule is there to prevent. They don't want people updating multiple times in a row, it doesn't matter that they would have to wait a day in between, it's still spam.

To the OP:
Just update whenever you're able to. It's the fairest way to run the updating system, without having spam or other problems.

I am the OP and itsatacoshop247, so that was me twice you are replying to

I am coming from a server owner point of view on all of this, since that's all that I submit to Planet Minecraft, should have clarified that in the main post maybe. Fairness is obviously important, but I think letting people have an easier schedule to update once daily would (at least for server bumps) be more fair as it means everyone can get a daily bump in.
SilverKytten
01/09/2013 10:13 pm
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
The only submissions that should be getting bumped, every day, are servers. Everything else can only be bumped using the update log, and unless you actually have something to update about the submissions, 'bumping' is update log abuse.

itsatacoshop247Back on the main topic, another idea I have is to just make it once per day bumps. The PlanetMC time is already logged in UTC, so just relate to that. Then you can bump once per calender day. So I could bump at 11pm on the 8th, 1am on the 9th, but then not again until the 10th at any time of that day. I have a bukkit plugin that does this by giving out items once per calendar day, so it doesn't punish people who can't come every 24 hours due to school/work/etc.

That's a good idea, in theory. But people would still abuse it. If people didn't abuse updates, then I doubt there would even be a limit. "I could bump at 11pm on the 8th, 1am on the 9th" That's what the 24 hour rule is there to prevent. They don't want people updating multiple times in a row, it doesn't matter that they would have to wait a day in between, it's still spam.

To the OP:
Just update whenever you're able to. It's the fairest way to run the updating system, without having spam or other problems.
bhbyfdt
01/09/2013 9:29 pm
Level 29 : Expert Princess
I think 24 hours is WAY too long, I think 3-4 hours on the first three days, then for the rest the 23 hour bump.
WayGroovy
01/09/2013 9:24 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Narwhal
That makes perfect sense to me. Unless you live along that UTC midnight line. Then if you posted slightly after midnight UTC, you'd need to wait a full 23.x hours until the next UTC midnight.
WayGroovy
01/09/2013 8:59 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Narwhal
I've always wondered why it wasn't 23 hours. I live with it being 24 hours, but I'd rather it not be.
Greytopher
01/09/2013 7:59 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Pig
How I see it, no matter how far you push it back, it will only do the same thing. The 24 hour period should be enough for server owners not to spam their servers on the server section of PMC. I find this fair, and it gives some leeway to servers who are newly posted to the site.
120123jock
01/09/2013 7:15 pm
Level 24 : Expert Miner
How do i bump if i may ask?
lorrana99
01/09/2013 7:20 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
A bump is writing on a thread, "bump" or something of the sort. The purpose is to get the thread/topic back to the top so more people see it.

I like this idea, very clever and well thought out. It doesn't exactly apply to me, so I'm neutral on it, though if you had a poll I'd say yes, I agree.
meymazda
01/09/2013 7:18 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
Update Log tab>Bump submission.

Anyways, I completely agree with this. When I owned my server, this was the exact problem I had.
AN EVEN BETTER IDEA would be having an auto-bumper, which bumps your post everyday at a set time (e.g. 4PM)
ThatsMyPickaxe
01/09/2013 7:20 pm
Level 48 : Master Technomancer
That would be cool, but if this happened to ALL submissions, nothing would really happen.
Chron
01/09/2013 7:22 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Then, how about when you get to a certain level, say 25, you can select certain items that will be auto-bumped. You would probably start out with 1 item, and as your level gets higher you can add more items to the auto-bumper.
itsatacoshop247
01/09/2013 9:04 pm
I doubt they would ever add an auto-bump. If people had auto-bumpers, they would never visit the site after making the first post and setting it to auto-bump. This would reduce traffic to the site, which means less ads viewed, which is bad for the site.

Back on the main topic, another idea I have is to just make it once per day bumps. The PlanetMC time is already logged in UTC, so just relate to that. Then you can bump once per calender day. So I could bump at 11pm on the 8th, 1am on the 9th, but then not again until the 10th at any time of that day. I have a bukkit plugin that does this by giving out items once per calendar day, so it doesn't punish people who can't come every 24 hours due to school/work/etc.
Polunom1
01/09/2013 7:03 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Agreed.
PoshTick
01/09/2013 6:58 pm
Level 27 : Expert Pokemon
you definitely put some thought into this and I agree, it would help with some pixel art contest, etc. Then again one of the only things being bumped are people advertising their youtube account...

Maybe add a poll and see how many people are for or against your idea.
Z645
01/09/2013 7:11 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
I agree with this idea. Poll or no poll. I'm in XD
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome