Help needed with laptop shutting off.

starzach9's Avatar starzach94/19/15 7:19 pm
4/20/2015 1:19 pm
Sterman00985's Avatar Sterman00985
Whenever I play minecraft on my laptop and crank up the settings to about 12+ render distance and high everything else it shuts off after about 5 minutes and I have to turn it back on. Only when I lower the settings to 8 or lower render distance does it stay on.
I have a HP EliteBook with a 2.6 i5 quadcore processer, 6 gigs of ram,and a nvs 5100m processor(sad I know). I can play minecraft with the render distance at 23+ but can't because it shuts off. Any help?
starzach9
Level 10 : Journeyman Farmer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/20/2015 1:19 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
Sterman00985
It is most likely over heating. This may be because minecraft is constantly requiring more and more data usage, and the fan cannot cool it off fast enough. Also your pc has been known for some problems. :I Maybe buy a new fan or a cooling pad?
04/20/2015 11:00 am
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
LatrollOh by the way, os errors = disk/system errors. And I don't know whether or not this helps but here it is:
Laptops come equipped with either of these two types of Hard Disk Drives: The normal moving kind, and the fixed stable one. Let's take Macbooks for example. In the Macbook Pro, the hard drive is the disk rotating one and the Macbook air comes with a fixed one, hence partly the reason it has the name "air". The normal disk drive is prone to burning and overheating as it spins and is vulnerable to head-on crashes. Refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive#Integrity_and_failure . However the thing about the Macbook Air is that no matter how much you shake the laptop, the disk won't get damaged.

So if you have a laptop, don't shake it around.
Um... Fixed and rotating??? I'm confused... Is that the SSD for fixed and HDD for rotating?
Hmm... Probably. I don't know the correct terms for them.

Ssds dont move while hdds do[/quote]
An SSD is like a really big USB drive. It doesn't move, is faster than mechanical storage but is more expensive per GB. A hard drive has larger storage volumes and is cheaper but much slower, and moving it may damage it.
04/19/2015 11:17 pm
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
04/20/2015 7:23 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Cake
nemurihime72
Um... Fixed and rotating??? I'm confused... Is that the SSD for fixed and HDD for rotating?
04/20/2015 7:50 am
04/20/2015 8:04 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
Peridotx_xDorito
Ssds dont move while hdds do
04/19/2015 9:13 pm
04/19/2015 10:43 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
I'm sorry, but where are you getting that information from? If that was the case, it wouldn't play at all, not just when you crank up the settings.

It sounds more or so like overheating, as said above. When you turn the settings up, the stuff gets hotter, and then the laptop shuts down to keep from damaging itself. It could be the CPU, or the GPU.
04/19/2015 7:45 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
Jaded_Panda
its a pretty common issue for elitebooks sadly

*Edit
It would be a good idea to buy a cooling pad i hear alot of good things about cooler master
04/19/2015 7:38 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
I can gurantee it is overheating. Try what thegreatestdj said.

Another note, Speedfan is very good, and I can verify it (I have used it quite a bit). Not 100% sure about the download link since I haven't gotten it in a while, but so long as you get a "true" (not stuffed with junky extra downloads or mixing a virus in) download, it is perfectly safe and useful.
04/19/2015 7:41 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Network
xxlinuxyxx
should i remove the link?
04/19/2015 7:30 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Network
xxlinuxyxx
seem to be a overheat issue. try placing it on a flat serface be sure that any vents on the laptop are uncovered. if that does not work. try to take a air can or air compressor and blow out all the dust in the vents.

EDIT: YOU can view temps and fan rpms using a program called SpeedFan in your laptop. heres the download link http://www.almico.com/speedfan451.exe used this myself i promise you it malware free
04/19/2015 7:21 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Turtle
Tdonny
Try to plug it in when you play, It will auto force it to turn it on/ leave it on!
04/19/2015 7:25 pm
starzach9
I forgot to mention that I always leave it plugged in and it doesn't affect the performance if I am using AC or battery power.
04/19/2015 7:26 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Turtle
Tdonny
Contact HP!!!
04/19/2015 7:28 pm
starzach9
Bought it refurbished off of amazon.
If I had bought one new it would have a weaker processor/less Ram
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024