Legalities of PayPal giveaways and MC Server lotteries???contact_support

ZonkedCompanion's Avatar ZonkedCompanion5/28/20 10:38 am history
2 emeralds 184 6
6/24/2020 5:18 pm
Munarar's Avatar Munarar
I keep seeing a recent trend of servers doing PayPal payouts and lotteries.

I'm curious about the legalities of such things, lotteries especially... I know in the UK non-profit lotteries should be registered with the Gambling Commission, and that all commercial lotteries need to be licensed in order to operate legally.

Obviously rules and regs are different around the globe, but I am wondering if anyone can elaborate on how legal this is?

The other side of this that concerns me is that Minecraft is a game that is largely played by children... Children gambling? - legalities aside that just seems morally wrong.

Ultimately who is regulating this? Nobody?

EDIT: If any PMC staff are reading this perhaps you could elaborate on why you don't allow gambling content on PMC yet you do allow servers to advertise these lotteries on their server page description and in their server page titles?
ZonkedCompanion
Level 32 : Artisan Pirate