Minecraft Password Changes

kangerujack's Avatar kangerujack12/29/12 8:03 pm
12/29/2012 8:42 pm
Paril's Avatar Paril
Dear PlanetMinecraft Staff:

Do you think you are really doing anything by forcing members to change their passwords? It isn't going to solve diddly, except make more people forget what their passwords are. If a password is hacked you can easily use your email to get your account back, do you guys not know this? If someone is too dumb to figure that out they shouldn't be on PMC in the first place. Also, these hackers have been hacking Minecraft accounts from their system, not yours. That means it is nearly pointless to even do this because it isn't your problem. These hackers aren't new, anyhow they've been doing this for a while now and now you're doing something about it now? -snip-

Good job at making people mad for helping them
Kangerujack
kangerujack
Level 5 : Apprentice Warrior

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/29/2012 8:42 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
Many high level people were hacked. The kind of people you call "noobs" and expect to have very weak passwords. This is not a "wave of 9 year olds" - in fact, every known hacked person is actually a responsible adult, have very popular YouTube channels or are very well established on this site. This wasn't a random attack, they had a purpose.

Our servers were not at fault - we do not store passwords in "plain text". We are doing this, however, to prevent any hackers who may have your Minecraft accounts from logging into your PMC account, because Minecraft has zero "your account is hacked" recognition aside from them changing your password (which they almost never do, else you would know, derp). We are trying to protect the users and the subscribers of said users.

Yes, it is Mojang's problem technically, but it is directly affecting PMC as those people are using the high level accounts to spread viruses. This will not do. We will also not keep high level users "higher" than others by only keeping their accounts safe. We treat everybody equal, and therefore all security changes are a global rollout.

Please don't complain. Just click the email and change your password back to what it used to be. This barely affects you.

-P
12/29/2012 8:37 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Artist
PinkCrayon
If you don't like it then leave. Simple.
12/29/2012 8:36 pm
Level 22 : Expert Toast
invincible64
Dude, you have no reason to complain, or room to talk. The team at pmc probably worked hard to roll this out, so you should be thanking them.
12/29/2012 8:33 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Crafter
Master_Hedgehog
if you don't like the way the staff at pmc run things leave
12/29/2012 8:31 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragon
Draco Dragon
kangerujack
FlickerIf your account was hacked, the hackers would change your password hence 'hacked account' you should apologize to PMC staff. You don't know how grateful you should be.

I'm not apologizing to bloop, if I was scared of hackers I would have changed it myself, instead of having a bunch of idiots force me to. So shut the bleep up and get out of here, I don't care about your opinion unless you're supporting me.

im going to say this now before removing this thread, we have had people be hacked before, but for reasons that we could control, this is an issue that we haven't had happen before, one of the solutions to this was that we messaged jeb informing him of an issue with the minecraft login servers, the other is that we upgraded our security to make this kind of stuff preventable, we will continue making upgrades to the site to ensure protection, its better late than never.
12/29/2012 8:24 pm
Level 22 : Expert Miner
Zeroplex
They're flipping out because they're afraid the new wave of 9 year olds playing MC use the same password for everything.

Because this is quite honestly an overreaction. My best guess is that there was a database breach and they store passwords in plaintext.
12/29/2012 8:39 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Wolf Whisperer
DeleteThisPleaseThan
you do realize this is a security precaution, ive hosted HomeBrew games/Games servers-Currently a few programs with encrypted passwords.

i would have done the same decision because there's always a way around everything.
infact i change my passwords every 6 months.
12/29/2012 8:27 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Warrior
kangerujack
Thank you, finally someone with an IQ above 50.
12/29/2012 8:22 pm
Level 42 : Master Mage
Speedguy14
If your account was hacked, the hackers would change your password hence 'hacked account' you should apologize to PMC staff. You don't know how grateful you should be.
12/29/2012 8:06 pm
Level 28 : Expert Taco
trentbot11
thay should be redirected to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ7DBG3ISRY
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome