New Veteran Capes?

avakan's Avatar avakan1/5/22 4:14 pm history
3 emeralds 1.1k 8
2/2/2022 11:39 pm
Rocketmanman's Avatar Rocketmanman
LONG RANT WARNING

In October 2020 Migration was announced for all Java MC accounts. Not long after this a player found code on the MC website for the new migration page that read "a special Veteran cape for each Year you've played Java Edition!". This was quickly removed and now the pages on migration state that you will get a special Migration cape. Since then, migration on Microsofts end has finally ended. All JAVA players can now migrate. Any hype about those veteran capes seems to have faded away. Even though so many people in the community were excited about them.

The idea in principal is great. Players who have had the game for longer get to have more capes / more rare capes Whilst new players can start a collection on the year that they join. They could release the cape on new years day or something. Keeping the game fresh without having to do a massive laggy update!

Another reason for them to add capes is the clear disparity between cape owners. Those migrated players being in the millions will now have 1 cape. Other than that there are about 22 or so other unique capes. Some being 1 of 1. With the least rare of these (Minecon 2016) having 7246 owners according to nameMC.

See the problem? The gap between millions and a few thousand. The thing is, if Microsoft were to do these "Veteran capes" it would fill the void between the numbers. Whilst the rare capes mentioned before would not loose much if any value because they are still just as rare as ever.

Capes are clearly something that are not being fully used to Microsoft's advantage. Don't get me wrong, I love the new migrator cape. It's a step in the right direction. But it's hardly a reason to bother adding a cape slot on the mc website? Which was there even before this cape btw.

My Theory

At some point, this year,/next year, idk when. We will see Veteran capes become a thing. Maybe it will happen at a Minecraft live, maybe it will happen at Minecon. New years maybe? Idk, point is I think it will. BECAUSE, 2 main reasons.

1. Account Security.
Hackers are probably the main reason capes have not become a widespread thing already. Multiple accounts with OG names (Rare usernames) or Capes have been hacked and sold causing Microsoft mayhem. Once forced Migration is done and people can use 2 step verification, the possibility of more capes becomes much more likely.

2. Dinnerbones statement on Twitch
I'm actually surprised how little people seem to know about this but anyway. Dinnerbone (a major staff member of MC) took some time off work due to his mental health. He is now back and started streaming again. In September 2021 whilst streaming he was asked if Veteran capes are still being added to Minecraft. He stated, "Veteran capes will, as far as I know yes. I have seen a few of them". So unless he is talking about Migration capes (which seems odd considering he said a few of them) then it at least sounds like they were in the process of designing the capes for each year. Super Cool.

It's still only a possibility but I'm not gunu stop hoping! What's your thoughts on this?
avakan
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner