Optional submission type folders on profile page

Phrozenbit's Avatar Phrozenbit3/26/13 10:22 am
1 emeralds 202 8
3/26/2013 11:10 pm
Phrozenbit's Avatar Phrozenbit
This idea just dawned on me and figured why not post it here.

I was just looking at my own profile page on the submission tab and thought it may be a nice idea to have the option to enable folders. What I mean by this is just a folder for each major submission type containing it's submissions. Because of the fact that some people will like it and some don't it could be optional, as a setting on the account settings page. Maybe it could also be implemented so, that the folder doesn't show if there aren't any submissions in it, if the feature is enabled. I do not talk about custom folders, to clarify.

Just an idea I thought was worthy of sharing with you guys. Anyone else thinks it's a good idea ?
Phrozenbit
Level 18 : Journeyman Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/26/2013 10:53 pm
Level 24 : Expert Artist
Turbo_Cass
I think it would be awesome if someone could create their own folders based on what they do. If someone makes a lot of projects, they could make a folder called "houses" and one "terraforming." Idk... I like your idea, but I think this way if could be even more specialized and customized.
03/26/2013 10:50 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Elf
Exurbia
This would actually be a smart idea. Especially for all those skinners who make themed skins. e.g. game skins, teen girl skins (lol), etc. It would also be good for builds.

But the only problem would be having a folder limit. There would only be so much room you can have for folders and such, so people would have to use them wisely.

Other than that, great idea!
03/26/2013 11:09 pm
Phrozenbit
Maybe a limit of 10 folders. No sub-folders. ought to be enough. Maybe even 5. There's almost one million members, so that would be a potential 5 million folders and counting.

I think if it comes to implementing it, there could be trouble as that it probably requires SQL query's to be re-written. Likely also an extra function within the code for retrieving submissions from the database, or an extra parameter to an existing function that does that. Yeah that would also mean a few extra fields in the MySQL tables... That's a lot of digging into the code I could imagine. It would also require a huge database update, depending if the fields are allowed to be empty...

Maybe it's an idea for cyprezz's " idea's list " If he has one..
03/26/2013 10:43 pm
Phrozenbit
You're completely right about the drop down buttons. I think they should stay.

Would be a nice optional addition though, to not have every submission of every type in the same list and instead have folders. I think it would look more organised for people with many submissions of every type.

[offtopic]damnit still not sleeping[/offtopic]
03/26/2013 10:54 pm
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
SilverKytten
Get your cute little bottom into bed!
03/26/2013 11:10 pm
Phrozenbit
Yes mommy
03/26/2013 7:05 pm
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
SilverKytten
I don't know, doesn't it kind of already have something like that? The drop-down menu, where you can select a type of submission?

I think that this would be slightly redundant. Unless you're meaning, instead of the drop-down menu, have buttons with each type of submission, and have them completely separate, instead of them all being in one list by default?
03/26/2013 6:44 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragon
awesomedude1226
So your talking about one folder for skins, one folder for mods, one folder for texture packs, one folder for servers, one folder for blogs, and one folder for projects?

Maybe..

I think there should be folders we can create and put submissions in if there is a sequel or something..
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome