PMC is down WAY too much

Swimmer1929's Avatar Swimmer19298/18/13 5:02 pm
8/18/2013 5:19 pm
Colonellooo's Avatar Colonellooo
I'm typing this as fast as possible because I'm not risking it knowing that PMC might go down any second again. This picture basically sums it up: (if it's too big right click it and click view image)

Seriously, the site goes down EVERY SINGLE DAY. Can't you guys at least do something about it? Like get a better host? Oh, and please don't take this post as a rant or something, it's just constructive criticism. Thanks.
Swimmer1929
Level 40 : Master Taco

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/18/2013 5:19 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Wolf
Colonellooo
Really if you think about it all these people uploading, downloading, and commenting at the same time really takes a toll on a website like this. Its not some big website like YouTube that can handle stuff like that.
08/18/2013 5:16 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
We're working on it.
It's not a DDoS, no. Server owners mad that we blacklisted them like to try, but we've never had a DDoS that affected service for more than maybe 4 seconds.
08/18/2013 5:18 pm
Swimmer1929
Oh, ok cool :3
08/18/2013 5:16 pm
Level 40 : Master Cake
aman207
snoopspaw
ChrisLIt used to go down a lot, back when the servers were getting moved. PMC still seems to go down sometimes, but I haven't seen it happen too much recently. Maybe I haven't been on enough to notice. I heard a mod say a month ago that PMC was getting DDOS'ed, but I haven't seen any official posts about that.

whats a DDOS

Denial of service attack. Meaning a very very large about of blank data is accessing the site, thus forcing it to go offline since it can't keep up.

But since PMC uses cloudflare, PMC has protection against this.
08/18/2013 5:13 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
snoopspaw
ChrisLIt used to go down a lot, back when the servers were getting moved. PMC still seems to go down sometimes, but I haven't seen it happen too much recently. Maybe I haven't been on enough to notice. I heard a mod say a month ago that PMC was getting DDOS'ed, but I haven't seen any official posts about that.

whats a DDOS
08/18/2013 5:12 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Artist
ChrisL
It used to go down a lot, back when the servers were getting moved. PMC still seems to go down sometimes, but I haven't seen it happen too much recently. Maybe I haven't been on enough to notice. I heard a mod say a month ago that PMC was getting DDOS'ed, but I haven't seen any official posts about that.
08/18/2013 5:11 pm
Level 40 : Master Cake
aman207
There are over 10,000 people on at once, all viewing, uploading, downloading, and posting forum posts. Its very hard for a website this size to
1. Keep up with all the traffic
2. Keep up with all the SQL queries

Give it some respect. You try to run a site this large.
08/18/2013 5:07 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
They're doing the best they can. This site has over 1,000,000 users, and are completely non-profit, except from ads, which most people block.
08/18/2013 5:12 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
snoopspaw
swimmer1929I don't think it's that hard to host a site that doesn't crash every single day. There's billions of sites on the internet, and seriously, I've never seen a site be offline so often.

PMC is down way too much but it is becuase of a bug in the coding that they are trying to find and fix or what aman207 said
08/18/2013 5:09 pm
Swimmer1929
I don't think it's that hard to host a site that doesn't crash every single day. There's billions of sites on the internet, and seriously, I've never seen a site be offline so often.
08/18/2013 5:15 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
I guarantee only a few hundred thousand to a million has this many people doing multiple things at the same time. And it doesn't crash every single day, that's a massive overstatement. It's better than it used to be. Like Aman said, you try running a website this large.
08/18/2013 5:05 pm
Level 26 : Expert Lumberjack
InTENsity
It does seem to go down a lot, I haven't noticed till I read this...
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome