Prevent Minecraft from connecting to the Internet

jmccoy's Avatar jmccoy6/1/11 5:39 pm
1 emeralds 3.7k 5
6/23/2011 4:17 am
jmccoy's Avatar jmccoy
Howdy folks,

I purchased Minecraft a few weeks ago. Until then I was using a pirated 1.5_01 (I know I know but I wanted to try before I bought). My problem is...I work a lame job at a helpdesk and sometimes at night I want to play Minecraft at work. My machine has a nice Quadro GPU and a Core i3 so it plays relatively well.

However, due to overzealous network monitoring I don't want the game connecting to whatever sites it tries that usually resolve to *.amazonaws.com all the time. Also, since I have proof I bought the game in my e-mail inbox, I don't see why the silly message about having an unlicensed copy shows up.

Basically I want to prevent the client from connecting to the internet. I can't set up a firewall or anything else. They don't work, anyway. I've already tried editing the Windows HOSTS file and changing minecraft.net to 127.0.0.1. It's useless. I can live with the nag message I guess...but I cannot have it connecting at will.

Thanks for any suggestions.
jmccoy
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/23/2011 4:17 am
jmccoy
Well, I know I can simply disable my network adapter and play that way, problem is, every time I do that, applications must be restarted due to lost database connections, etc. Then, if MC crashes (which it frequently does) I have to do it all over again.

I have pretty much just resigned myself to the fact that I can only play at home or use someone else's computer at work...which seems devious. Oh well. I just wish the performance was better. I get waaayyyy better framerates in Oblivion and WoW with everything on ultra than with MC. This is on a C2D E8500 @ 3.6, Radeon HD 5850, 8 GB DDR2 1066 and a VelociRaptor HDD. It's frustrating...
06/09/2011 3:55 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Wizard
Zaralith
Actually, the only times that you connect to minecraft.net and the amazon cloud that they authenticate from is when you log into the game, and when you log into any servers with onlinemode=true it authenticates you again. Your only option is to disable your connection with the network and just play local. If you simply shut off the internet, the network attempt will still be in the logs, so you need to disconnect entirely, which may also be logged. Simple answer is use the money you make at work to buy a giant computer for home, like I am working towards.
06/03/2011 12:14 pm
jmccoy
I know that, but it still attempts and is successful in connecting to a site that's hosted by Amazon Web Services (I assume that's what AWS stands for) and I can't have the network nazis seeing all those connections in the logs. The game checks to see whether it's logged in with a legitimate account and displays that unlicensed copy or logged in from another location message. If I knew the exact server it goes out to I may be able to redirect it to localhost/127.0.0.1 using the HOSTS file, but since it probably goes to some unknown Minecraft authorization site (whatever.minecraft.net which resolves to someserver.amazonaws.com), I can't nail it down. The Amazon servers are all that Netstat lists. I would simply just disable my network connection, but that's a hassle and I'm betting it doesn't only try to connect once during gameplay.

As noted in Wikipedia:
Internet resource blocking
Specially crafted entries in the hosts file may be used to block online advertising, or the domains of known malicious resources and servers that contain spyware, adware, and other malware.[7] This may be achieved by adding entries for those sites to redirect requests to another address that does not exist or to a harmless destination.

Various software applications exist that populate the hosts file with entries of undesirable Internet resources automatically.[7]
06/03/2011 11:31 am
Level 30 : Artisan Mountaineer
GrizzlyAmish
When it requires you to login with an account name and password, just put in a fake password.
It'll say that the login attempt failed, but it will give you an option to play offline.
06/03/2011 11:18 am
jmccoy
Seriously, I'm not a pirate. This is directly from my PayPal e-mail.

Description Unit price Qty Amount
Minecraft premium account 14.95 EUR 1 14.95 EUR
Subtotal 14.95 EUR
Total €14.95 EUR
Payment €14.95 EUR
Payment sent to support@mojang.com

From amount $21.90 USD
To amount €14.95 EUR
Exchange rate: 1 U.S. Dollar = 0.682648 Euros

Anyone got suggestions or am I just out of luck?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome