3d Preview Applet Discrepancies

DrThresh's Avatar DrThresh11/21/11 2:07 am
1 emeralds 437 4
1/27/2012 3:22 am
DrThresh's Avatar DrThresh
Hi all,
I've been skinning on this site for a few days now and there's this particular thing that's only just started to bug me; the scale of the Head Accessory mesh.

I've made comparisons between the preview applet used on this site, the Skin Viewer by LukeRay and in the Minecraft interface itself. I can tell at a glance that the Head Accessory mesh expands out by about 0.5px (relative to the skin texture) and helmet armor expands out about 1px from the head. The preview applet seems to use the latter, making it look bigger (and subsequently having parts float further away from the head than desired) Looking at other viewers, they seem to move between these two, although the more recent finds have it at the correct scale distance.

Now I could be imagining all this, but I'd like some input from the skinners if they've ever come across this problem of inconsistency.
DrThresh
Retired Moderator
Level 45 : Master Batman

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/27/2012 3:22 am
DrThresh
IntenseLycan
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but I know that one glitch causes the bottom of the headwear section to spin sideways 180 degrees. This is really annoying because whenever I try to make a skin with a hood the bottom of the hood sticks out on the front instead of the back.
Here is an example of what I mean. http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/cookie-monster-feat-cookie-hoodie/

Ithink that's due to Mojang changing the orientation of the hat layer swapped for some reason. I think mine are ok as they appear fine in the viewers I use, Have you checked how it looks in game? if it seems fine in game, but not anywhere else, then there could be some issues. Else you've been putting it the wrong way around for a while now lol
01/25/2012 5:19 pm
Level 27 : Expert Mage
IntenseLycan
DrThreshHi all,
I've been skinning on this site for a few days now and there's this particular thing that's only just started to bug me; the scale of the Head Accessory mesh.

I've made comparisons between the preview applet used on this site, the Skin Viewer by LukeRay and in the Minecraft interface itself. I can tell at a glance that the Head Accessory mesh expands out by about 0.5px (relative to the skin texture) and helmet armor expands out about 1px from the head. The preview applet seems to use the latter, making it look bigger (and subsequently having parts float further away from the head than desired) Looking at other viewers, they seem to move between these two, although the more recent finds have it at the correct scale distance.

Now I could be imagining all this, but I'd like some input from the skinners if they've ever come across this problem of inconsistency.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but I know that one glitch causes the bottom of the headwear section to spin sideways 180 degrees. This is really annoying because whenever I try to make a skin with a hood the bottom of the hood sticks out on the front instead of the back.
Here is an example of what I mean. http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/cookie-monster-feat-cookie-hoodie/
11/23/2011 6:35 am
DrThresh
Well, I currently use Skin Viewer, since it's local I can keep things on my PC until I'm satisfied to upload. I usually have it open while I'm making them, as it'll instantly update whenever I overwrite the skin file. The other reason why I use this is that I can pose the character as well, though I think SkinEdit does that too, doesn't it?

Skin Edit, from what I've seen, has the big hat version, Minershoes also uses big hat. There's this other simplified java version that has a smaller hat layer, which is also a chrome extension (and enables me to see the skin loaded on my character) But upon closer inspection, it looks to be a bit too small. Also it's shoulder faces are not orientated correctly.

I had found a bunch of them listed here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Progr ... _Texturing

However since I only needed a local viewer, i just took the first viewer on the list, which was Skin Viewer. I wasn't too fussed with the real-time texturing. If I had wanted to go that way, I'd be using CS5's 3D texturing components, but I'd have to source the model, convert it into a readable object format and keep loading it up everytime I wanted to start on a new skin.

But at least I could draw on the model, much like ZBrush, and that's so awesome when you do it with more complex meshes.

Edit: Alright, just had a bit of a try of the top ones... MCSkin3D is by far the superior tool to use, should you want a complete package, which I suspect as skinners on a budget, will want. It is an incredibly powerful tool, quite flexible and well, is basically awesome. Try it out!
11/22/2011 1:46 am
Level 36 : Artisan Skinner
Cadsuane
Yeah, I've noticed that too. It annoys me, because I like to use the hat layer, but then it never looks on here the way that it does in game. I've got notes on many of my skins telling people that they look better in game, but...it's not the same. Who reads the description unless they already like the skin?
I know that it's the same way with SkinEdit (in my version, at least). You said, though, that not all previewers are that way. Which ones have you found that aren't? Any that wouldn't require me to upload the skins to the internet? Currently I use SkinEdit for previewing everything but the final touch ups of the hat layer, then have to keep uploading the skin to my MC account and checking it in game as I fine tune it. That gets old really quick, and it's impossible to see certain angles.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome