Rework the search feature

pale1's Avatar pale16/17/20 3:29 pm
6/21/2020 1:57 pm
pale1's Avatar pale1
I was searching for projects today, with filters for "Updated" sorted by "relevancy", and the first page is filled with maps from 5-8 years ago. Most of which haven't been updated since they were posted so why are they considered relevant and why do they appear at the top of the page?

These search filters should be reworked in a way that promotes newer builds and builders. Especially since most of the old maps featured in these tabs were designed for older versions of Minecraft.

What is your opinion on this?
pale1
Level 49 : Master Dolphin

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/20/2020 12:22 pm
Level 24 : Expert Architect
illdeletethis
the search filters are fine, just pick sorted by updated, not relevancy
there already is a filter that does what you want, at the same time those wanting to find the most relevant map for their search term are looking for what you are complaining about.
you may want a combined order for your search that ranks the maps by some average, you may even want that to be the default setting, but it should not come at the expense of either existing setting
06/21/2020 8:37 amhistory
pale1
there are ~6 different filter parameters that affect the result of your search. The fact that sorted by “relevancy” is the default and shows 9 year old projects is problematic in my eyes. In my opinion, the most relevant works are those that are newest/most viewed per day/recently posted.

It’s better to support current creators than people who have abandoned the game years ago and don’t care anymore.
06/21/2020 12:32 pm
Level 24 : Expert Architect
illdeletethis
not quite, relevancy means relevant to the search term, most fitting for that
06/21/2020 1:57 pm
pale1
But there are certainly other factors at play in the site’s determination of “relevancy” as well. Searching for a generic term like “castle” will return results from 7 years ago. When there are probably castles being uploaded today that don’t appear.
06/20/2020 11:59 am
Level 42 : Master uwu
vinceinminecraft
I think that that would be a great idea, there is a very active community on this site - albeit kinda small - but you'd never get that impression based on the search system. I hope the site staff look at this.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome