Site Suggestion - Views per diamond? + sub-features

UltimateMegaMan's Avatar UltimateMegaMan10/31/13 7:30 am
1 emeralds 219 7
10/31/2013 8:21 am
Luis's Avatar Luis
NOTE: This scale may only work for newly uploaded submissions

I would like to propose a mechanism that calculates (on average) how many views are required to earn a diamond, limited to your submissions (excluding "upload diamonds"). It would be a display feature, which could be shown on your profile to monitor progress; if your diamond:view ratio decreases (ie. it takes less views to earn a diamond), it is a sign of positive progress. If it increases, it means one of two things:

1.) People are becoming less interested in diamonding your posts - a sign of decline
2.) People mutually accept that your content is good, so they glaze over it.

The formula would be as follows:
EDIT: This formula should only be used for submissions that are servers or blogs

EDIT: Any other submissions should have this formula:

This system may not be definitive, but it is better than nothing.
You could also implement an update feature that alerts you on achieving new values/goals (main ones which are preset and cannot be changed, as well as ones to set for oneself).

50 or more views per diamond - Bad
40 views per diamond - Inadequate
30 views per diamond - Satisfactory
20 views per diamond - Good
[Calculated by site] - Average
15 views per diamond - Appealing
10 views per diamond - Excellent
5 views per diamond - Awe-inspiring
3 or less views per diamond - Legendary

A simple colour code (key) could be shown on the Member page and a colour square shown beside each name to represent different ratio values / ranks.
EDIT: One colour square shown be used for every type of submission, and if a user has not uploaded any type it will be grey. To find the overall, the mean must be found of each individual type of submission (not including types that have not been made by that user).
People would be drawn to higher "ranked" users, which in turn can decrease the value and the process loops. It's a seemingly endless loop of diamonds and promotion.
It's a natural selection of sorts: Those who are shown to be superior over others will prosper while the lesser will be left in the dust.
This helps good users stand out and encourage them to make new awesome content!

There may also be a new tab on the Members page that shows the people with the highest ranks to the lowest, which has weekly updates to calculate whether they stayed at the same spot, went up a spot or went down a spot (like a football league table).

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, and hopefully you may expand upon this concept!
UltimateMegaMan
Level 23 : Expert Mountaineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/31/2013 8:21 am
Level 71 : Legendary Pokemon
Luis
10/31/2013 8:20 am
UltimateMegaMan
Someone lock this topic, and delete it if possible.
10/31/2013 7:57 am
Level 71 : Legendary Pokemon
Luis
No, the diamond to view ratio means nothing, I for example have around 3100 diamonds on my submissions, divided by my 100,000 views I have a ratio of 1 to 33 or 3.2%. Disco however has around ten times as many diamonds as I do, at 31,046 but he has 84 times as many views as I do so the number of diamonds he has is only 0.36% of the number of his views. Does this mean I produce higher quality work? No! It means that this is no way to determine quality! Besides, skins and blogs will often get the same amount of diamonds as a texture pack or mod (or even a project) but only get a fraction of the views? Does this mean texture pack makers and modders produce junk and only junk? NO! It means this system is flawed!
10/31/2013 7:52 am
UltimateMegaMan
NuclearManxMy skin I made has 141 views, and 47 downloads. (roughly 1 in 3 people who view my skin download it). That may seem good but nobody diamonds skins from low level members (I only have 3 diamonds). Because of these stats I believe you system may be flawed.

Ah, I see. Maybe my system can be used for Blogs and Servers, whereas a different system could be used for everything else. Every single type of upload could have an individual square on the Member page.

This formula could be used for everything that ISN'T a server or a blog:

10/31/2013 7:40 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Engineer
NuclearManx
My skin I made has 141 views, and 47 downloads. (roughly 1 in 3 people who view my skin download it). That may seem good but nobody diamonds skins from low level members (I only have 3 diamonds). Because of these stats I believe you system may be flawed.
10/31/2013 7:38 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Toast
BreakfastPizza
They should add this.

"Paril! Come here for a second! Yeah, make this! No cookies until you do!" -Cyprezz
10/31/2013 7:34 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Pyro
Supernova666
UltimateMegaMan
50 or more views per diamond - Bad
40 views per diamond - Inadequate
30 views per diamond - Satisfactory
20 views per diamond - Good
[Calculated by site] - Average
15 views per diamond - Appealing
10 views per diamond - Excellent
5 views per diamond - Awe-inspiring
3 or less views per diamond - Legendary

50 views per diamond is actually very good if you look at the most popular projects and skins etc. Your scale works best for newly upload submissions. Also, this could be easily worked out by dividing the number of views by the number of diamonds.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome