Why is Planet Minecraft Forums search so horrible?

zekesonxx's Avatar zekesonxx8/28/12 12:37 pm
1 emeralds 250 5
8/28/2012 10:50 pm
Unnatural's Avatar Unnatural
It filters out 90% of your keywords, and when it doesn't the results aren't always right!
Preventing overusage is not the same as making it almost useless.
For example: search.php?t=144678a

> end rant
Rant ended....

Also, I'm a web developer. I post on here to try and find people who need websites and make them. Why can't I just search "website" instead of having to wade through the many, many posts that aren't website related?
zekesonxx
Level 7 : Apprentice Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/28/2012 10:41 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Engineer
Ness
zekesonxxIt filters out 90% of your keywords, and when it doesn't the results aren't always right!
Preventing overusage is not the same as making it almost useless.
For example: search.php?t=144678a

> end rant
Rant ended....

Also, I'm a web developer. I post on here to try and find people who need websites and make them. Why can't I just search "website" instead of having to wade through the many, many posts that aren't website related?

Pretty often at my job I'm asked questions about indexing (for the application I support) and ZaphodX is 100% correct in his response.

If members were able to search terribly common words, it would most likely cause site-wide degradation and impact overall performance for other users.

Every-time you search (query), the website has to look through every record in order to pull back a result. Eliminating the ability to search for these helps keep the site more stable and functioning properly.

Then again, I'm not sure of the hardware running behind PMC so it's just a guess. =p
08/28/2012 1:02 pm
Level 43 : Master Fox
Fokkusu
From what I've heard, most forum search options are terrible.
08/28/2012 10:50 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Toast
Unnatural
I've been on forums for many other games, minecraft etc. and agreeing with this, most searches are pretty bad, its really hard to really hone in on what you want.

-Apple
08/28/2012 1:00 pm
Level 21 : Expert Warrior
Rage_Hammer24
I know were your coming from, it has to be 3 words and if theres to meny results you carnt search.
08/28/2012 12:42 pm
Level 40 : Master Network
ZaphodX
Allowing people to search incredibly common terms would cause excessive database searches that would un-necessarily load the site.

However, yes searching for something you want to find is pretty irritating. Google is often a better choice.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome