Introduction of a Veteran

Moralous's Avatar Moralous8/16/16 6:34 am
1 emeralds 1.5k 36
9/17/2016 4:43 am
Cookiesz's Avatar Cookiesz
Hello, my name is Moralous and here is my 'lil introduction.

So I started minecraft nearly 6 years ago. That number still blows my mind. I started at the ripe old age of 8, after nagging my mum to get me 'that block game [my sister] has'. I finally convinced her to get it for me a couple days before Beta 1.0 was released. I started playing and put more and more hours into the game. I had well over 12 hours within the first five days (an impressive feat for an 8 year old, wouldn't you agree?)
My first hour in the game was spent trying to craft a boat, a phenomenon that I had seen my sister accomplish and was determined to do myself. She was getting quite frantic (being only 10 herself) and trying to convince me to mine trees so that the skeletons wouldn't get me. I assured her I would be safe in my boat, as skeletons clearly can't float silly. After punching down a single tree for which to craft my boat, I started speeding around, being very careful not to crash.
A creeper blew me up while I was moving for a closer look.
I rage quitted and made a new world.
This time I followed my sister's advice, and soon had a full three story cube, with glass floors and a sand/sandstone cube extension. I was proud, and I stand by it to this day that my sister was jealous of my elite building skills.
So through the months I become a bit of a 'pro' at peaceful mode (having turned down the difficulty after the creeper encounter). I got a bit bored and wanted to know how my sister was playing with her online friends. However, my mother thought that 8 years in this life is not nearly enough to be prepared for the horrible world of online.
However, being the technologically adept kid I was, I typed the word 'minecraft multiplayer' into the google search box, seeing as it was the only button that I didn't understand outside of the options menu. I soon found an 'ip', and typed it in, finding my first ever server.
I walked around a bit, reading the chat as I went. There were a lot of people (like,3 or something) and I wanted to talk to them. After whacking the keyboard in hopes of 'turning on typing', I did some more advanced googling ('how do you talk to other people in minecraft multiplayer?') I learnt about the 't' button. It was a friendly community, and I liked them a lot.
I soon saw a very nice house, and I was thoroughly impressed by the person who was building it, so I decided to help him out. I didn't like his extension, so I started to remove it to turn it into sand.
I got banned for 'griefing'. What was this nonsense?
So I googled more servers ('minecraft server ip list big server no griefing ban') and found another server. Wow! This server is amazing! It's ip is words not numbers as well! This is awesome! Massive spawn! A HUNDRED PEOPLE! THIS IS AMAZING!
I got banned for griefing again. But this time, it was after I got lost in spawn, been called names and generally not having a good time.
This is how I gained my love for small servers.
So I played for a couple more years, witnessed pistons (phwoar), discovered modding (woah) and saw creative mode turn into block-hungry monsters. After the 1.0 launch though, I saw a lot more people coming into my servers and not being very nice. I started playing less and less, and eventually got bored and stopped playing, not helped by the negative reputation Minecraft got around that time for being a 'stupid kids game' and 'simple' and 'dumb'. Eventually I stopped.
Fast forward to 1.3 and people in general stopped complaining about it. It still had a slightly negative reputation, but people wouldn't bring it up if you didn't at school. So I started playing again. All my favourite servers were down, which upset me a bit, but I picked myself up and went around discovering new smaller servers, gaining experience with moderating, server owning, plugin management, and even a little bit of web design.
However, I always liked survival. As a veteran who'd never really got into building, I always saw creative mode as a sort of cheaty version, to get free items and fight mobs whilst invincible. Silly really.
I hosted a few small servers, similar to the ones I used to play on back in the day, with bukkit instead of hMod (obviously). However, all of them shut down due to lack of funds. All of them got a small, tight community but ultimately we all forgot about each other.
Recently, I started thinking again about a project me and my minecraft friends had discussed. A huge RPG/Roleplay server, tonnes of custom weapons and armour and all that good stuff. I sort of put it aside in my head as implausible, but a couple of weeks ago I thought about all the amazing projects that had been completed in Minecraft and decided to have a crack.
However, when starting I realised due to limiting myself I did not have nearly enough of the required skills to run a larger server. I'd started building more and while I consider myself better than a large portion of the minecraft population, I am definitely not network-professional level. I also lack knowledge in proper advertising, world creation on a larger scale and web design. I also realised I'd distanced myself from the online community, not having an account on PMC or MinecraftForums or any other large minecraft community site. So here I am folks.

TL;DR

Played minecraft since beta 1.0. Made a boat. Died. Had fun. Found multiplayer. Hated big servers. Liked small ones. The trend continued. Game released. Negative reputation around the game. I quit. Came back months later. Carried on the trend. Wanted to make a bigger server than my previous attempts. Found I'd limited myself. Trying to fix it.

So hello from Moralous,
some mug trying to make it big on the internet.
Moralous
Level 2 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/17/2016 4:43 am
Level 49 : Master Creeper Hugger
Cookiesz
The tl;dr literally describes me omg
09/17/2016 4:38 am
Level 26 : Expert Architect
lolOfAll34
Nice there is people like you.I myself joined in 2010.
08/24/2016 5:05 pm
Moralous
[quote="-Alex+"]Well at least 50% of this is made up. Nobody remembers stuff this vividly from when they were 8. I've been playing minecraft for the same amount of time as you and all I can remember is being fascinated by sugarcane.
[hr][/hr]
Damn guys it wasn't criticism. If anything, it should be taken as a compliment to OP's memory. But I admire your ability to all jump on me at once like a pack of wolves.
/quote]

First of, Minecraft basically was my life when I was 8. I skipped a lot of it due to the fact I did not remember it vividly, but my first few hours were a huge impact on me. I don't know about your memory, but mine has always been good concerning gaming. But this was definitely criticism. Saying I made stuff up is basically calling me a liar, which I take great offense to. This is definitely not a compliment to my memory, and people jumping to defend me isn't wrong, it's just moral.
Moralful.

~Moralous
08/18/2016 2:44 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Dragon
rosedragon
hi moralous! Glad to see another vet around . I only remember vaguely how do I start but it was 'alpha' and 'first time finding water can flow and it is fun' in creative. I believe, at that time, it is the water that tells me minecraft is more than digital lego.

I have been on and off minecraft too, started in creative (that was free back then), then quit after bored with water.

A year or so later purchased survival after seeing minecart video (omg rollercoaster!), erased many worlds until I got one that is nice and created a restaurant, installed mods, found mcedit (made my first dragon, which was featured in yogcast), found community, multiplayer survival, got into 'end game' that I start multiplayer creative making giant dragons, invited to voxelbox and see awesome people with awesome builds, make achievements in voxelbox, then retired after achieved worked with yogcast and captainsparklez.

Back again, I found that voxelbox server no longer there, I wander to find a 'home'. Somehow got lost to a roleplay server, it was homey, until for some unfortunate circumstances they are kinda 'dying' in my view. So I go make my own with friends, and that is currently I am doing xD ...
08/18/2016 1:51 pm
Level 42 : Master Zombie
EmpathyHeals
Moralous
However, when starting I realised due to limiting myself I did not have nearly enough of the required skills to run a larger server. I'd started building more and while I consider myself better than a large portion of the minecraft population, I am definitely not network-professional level. I also lack knowledge in proper advertising, world creation on a larger scale and web design. I also realised I'd distanced myself from the online community, not having an account on PMC or MinecraftForums or any other large minecraft community site. So here I am folks.

Well it sure sounds like you've come a long way!! From rage-quitting due to creeper to trying to run a server, that's quite a trek! I hear you about doing everything though - many people don't realize what's involved until they try it!! I too found it difficult to handle everything from the network, to advertising, to world creation, to web design, etc.

So, what I found has worked for my server over the past three years is to make Sanctioned Projects and have different people run them, called Project Facilitators (PF's).

The advantage to this is that it's not traditional "staff" with all perms, that attracts power-hungry people. It's specific task-oriented projects that have non-traditional names and who have perms pertaining to their individual projects that attract people who specifically want to do that kind of work.

Another advantage is that the categories help narrow down and focus the tasks so that there isn't the "too many cooks in the kitchen" feeling when multiple "staff" are responsible for the same thing. Yet another advantage is that this helps PF's not burn out - they are responsible for their project, and sometimes they fill in for others, but for the most part they don't feel like they are responsible for too much.

We have had quite a few PF's come and go but many stick around and help for quite a while. If you are interested in bench-marking my server to see how the projects run feel free to join us.

Here is a mind map with our projects and their current PF's:
https://www.mindmeister.com/466003332?t=Lj5qq2CQYH

Also, here is the forum with our various projects: http://empathyheals.enjin.com/forum/vie ... m/21228992

Here is a list of our current PF's and their projects: http://empathyheals.enjin.com/forum/m/2 ... urrent-pfs

We have some great PF's, not power hungry, dedicated, and honest. The community is mature and you are welcome to come ask questions. The last link above shows the projects we have open so if you want to try your hand at being a PF you can do so. You would have to come play for a while then apply on the forum.

I enjoyed reading your history. You have definitely come a long way. Community is important so I hope you stick around, whether it's on my server and our website (we have a great, friendly community), or PMC. I look forward to see where your adventures take you!

Empathy
08/18/2016 11:54 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1793855
[deleted]
08/18/2016 12:09 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Thierry0505
Ah, okay. For you didnt intend to crtitisize. But even if you said vividly, you still said that "at least 50% ois is fake" which is like saying half of his introduction is fake. This is critisim. And also, if you still dont believe that, look at the definition :
indicate the faults of (someone or something) in a disapproving way.
08/18/2016 10:55 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1793855
[deleted]
08/24/2016 5:21 pm
Level 29 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
Actually I could tell you my entire first world's experience when I was EIGHT.
But I don't want a really long forum post.
08/18/2016 12:05 pm
Level 24 : Expert Prince
Govindas
Some people remember things good, I remember what happened 10 years ago as it would be yesterday.
08/18/2016 11:22 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
No need to complain about other people because you just have a bad memory, bud.
08/18/2016 11:05 am
Thierry0505
That's quite a broad statement. People can remember things at different times of their life, at eight you are completely capable of remembering things like this, especially if you enjoy it. But on the other hand for instance, you cannot remember to be polite towards other people's posts rather than criticising their memories that you did not experience and therefore have no reason or proof to say what you said.
08/18/2016 11:23 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
-Alex+ is not critiszing peoples memories. He said "Nobody remembers stuff this vividly from when they were 8." He didn't say you can't remember anything when you were 8 years old. He said nobody remember stuff that vividly. That means people can't remember stuff that well when they were 8 years old.
08/18/2016 11:36 am
Thierry0505
Ah, okay. Sorry for the misinterpretation. But on the other hand he was effectively saying that when he was criticising by saying 50% of it is fake, which is, for me, what I interpret as criticising.
08/18/2016 11:04 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Architect
starcatcher77
I remember stuff like this too, don't come here just to rain on peoples parade.
08/18/2016 10:44 am
Thierry0505
striker107
Thierry0505XD bad luck, I just made tons of maps to guide my way through the world, but that was rare, id use cords and landmarks instead.

There weren't maps back then and I didn't know about "F3" yet. But I did use landmarks (a giant nerd pole, A world generated sand mountain) but they didn't help.

Yeah, do you remember this video that was posted on YouTube around that time that talked about making lava towers as landmarks? That was an awesome idea back then XD but they were ugly
08/18/2016 9:40 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Grump
Five
Been playing since 1.2, but only got PC in 1.4, modded, got addicted... Yeah.
08/18/2016 9:20 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Dragon
moriadwarf88
I got minecraft sometime around late 2011, when I was 11. It was beta 1.8, just before 1.0...

I remember playing with my friends in a couple small servers. Every single one of them have now gone offine. Probably my best memories I got around that time are from minecraft actually.

I always wanted to make a server of my own, and I did try it. I was however too lazy to get past building the spawn and setting those damned yaml permissions...

About two and half years ago I stopped playing it, and overall lost my interest in it. I didn't exactly like the direction where the game was going at that time, I guess.

Damn, this probably my first time logging in to this site in over two years.
08/18/2016 8:53 am
Level 24 : Expert Prince
Govindas
You are similar to me, just I played minecraft maybe few months ago earlier than you did, and I didn't go in multiplayer that fast was cracked player for 4 years. I also wanted to create huge RPG server. Worked on it for 3 years but quit because I got bored of creating amazing things which no one can see yet since it's too huge to can release it in fast time. Maybe you would want to work with me together on my current huge minigames and everything in one server? I'm working on it close to 2 years already.
08/18/2016 8:53 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Prince
Prince Oceanus
Meanwhile, I came in around 1.4. I thought it was the coolest thing ever and my friends even invited me to join a server called MysteriousMC (server got closed down after the new owner turned out to be a butt-hat, though). That was pretty much where I grew in my Minecraft experiences. We had an awesome hidden bunker and everything, and even though we clashed with a donor rival and his lame sidekick, we still had a great time. I was really disappointed when it went down, because I always enjoyed getting on and being welcomed by the community on there.

Further along, I founded my own private server (don't ask to join, you'll be denied regardless) so my friends and I could enjoy the Minecraft experience once again. Eventually the server went dead (not because of money issues, but because of me procrastinating to update it to 1.9) for a year, but was revived earlier this year when I finally got around to having my dad figure out all of the programming stuff. We've even been planning to make a modpack for our newest modded server (again, don't ask, you'll be denied).

I still play on other servers, but mostly on a server called Caelteria, which is a somewhat-work-in-progress RP server. It's got a great community and there's always someone on the IRC chat that'll welcome you back. I highly suggest you visit them sometime, but you'll have to look them up on your own (forum rules and such, y'know).

Anyway, that's my story. Would love to hear others.
08/18/2016 8:48 am
Thierry0505
Yep
08/18/2016 8:45 am
striker107
Thierry0505one of my first worlds was a creative world I made for my brother because I thought hed like to play it, he didn't, so i ended up messing around on the world and it eventually became my build world. I LOVED IT. It was the most effort on a world i had ever done. But then i accidentally deleted it...........

Oh...
08/18/2016 8:44 am
striker107
Thierry0505XD bad luck, I just made tons of maps to guide my way through the world, but that was rare, id use cords and landmarks instead.

There weren't maps back then and I didn't know about "F3" yet. But I did use landmarks (a giant nerd pole, A world generated sand mountain) but they didn't help.
08/18/2016 8:37 am
Thierry0505
XD bad luck, I just made tons of maps to guide my way through the world, but that was rare, id use cords and landmarks instead.

EDIT ne of my first worlds was a creative world I made for my brother because I thought hed like to play it, he didn't, so i ended up messing around on the world and it eventually became my build world. I LOVED IT. It was the most effort on a world i had ever done. But then i accidentally deleted it...........
08/18/2016 8:28 am
striker107
Thierry0505but now I've learnt to never rage quit, but that can't stop me from wanting to do multiplayer instead.

I learned after my first world: "Planet of awesome 1.0" But I rage quit so hard that I deleted the world, because I died five times in three days and was in the middle of nowhere. (worst mistake I ever made, because about the next day I "discovered" compasses)
08/18/2016 7:40 am
Thierry0505
Yeah, I discovered servers around the same time as this guy, but I envy the fact you enjoyed singleplayer for that long. Cause I used to do the same, but because around the same time irl I had no friends, I couldn't help but want to play multiplayer. Although mostly the reason why I never played singleplayer was due to how I rage quitted whenever I died. I've never beaten the game, but that's mostly cause there never should of been an option to since Minecraft was supposed to be for making your own story.

Edit: but now I've learnt to never rage quit, but that can't stop me from wanting to do multiplayer instead.
08/18/2016 7:30 am
striker107
Thierry0505I used to have some fun with multiplayer but there still was competition with the ppl i played with (if only there were people who liked working together) I prefer vanilla.

Yeah, why does there have to be competition? And I only "discovered" servers 1.5 years ago. (It all depends what I am in the mood for that day)
08/18/2016 7:18 am
Thierry0505
Yeah, when mods first became popular in modpacks I played tekkit. I used to have some fun with multiplayer but there still was competition with the ppl i played with (if only there were people who liked working together) I prefer vanilla.
08/18/2016 7:14 am
striker107
I've been playing for 7 years now, (I'm the "oldest" one here) but my story was mostly single player. I only started playing servers for about 1.5 years now, but I've been playing mods for about 5 years.
08/18/2016 6:31 am
Thierry0505
Wow, this is actually quite related to how I first played Minecraft! It's coming up to my 14th bday and I've realised how long I've played Minecraft (although it was 5 years, since 1.6.6). Although I tend not to aim for making big servers, and I quitted for a while due to the fact I had no one to play with (well, there were some people I played with but they were not always the best to play with due to how they always thought of the game as a competition for who gets the best stuff, and never worked together). Anyway, welcome!

EDIT: also, I can relate with xl creepers comment, I was always treated like a nobody on servers, and i prefer the old versions of mc.
08/16/2016 3:17 pm
xWizK
Man if your still interested in small-friendly-community based servers, join here! azelcraftmc.beastmc.com - Im not just advertising, im just guessing your a friendly guy!
08/16/2016 2:09 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
AW beat me by a year! i wanted when it first came out but i had a toaster so i could not play it.. now i have a toaster 2.0!!
08/16/2016 2:16 pm
Moralous
Toasters are hot.
08/16/2016 1:27 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
NewSuperMario
Moralous
XLCREEPERGah! Beat me by 2 years... I was interested in MC for 1 year before I got it in 2012... in the 1.3.2 release.

I was a part of a server called "Dimensions" for about 4 years now. And btw, don't worry about the whole advertisement rule. The server sadly crashed a month ago due to lack of players. This server was called Inferno for the first three and switched to Dimensions after a server failure through lack of money in 2014-15 and we started again. I have a super long story of my time on it but I won't be putting it here for obvious reasons. What else is there to say? I was treated like a nobody there all the time.

I'm tired, so I can't really summarize very well right now.

All I can say is, if it wasn't already obvious, smaller servers are definitely dying off because of Minecraft's popularity drops. I want to blame the updates for this, although I'm not sure if I can entirely.

ALL I CAN SAY IS, I THINK, Minecraft is dying. Which is probably obvious.

Also, good luck on your venture to make a big server. It was never easy and due to the loss of players in the game community itself, it's even more difficult, but I hope you can make it big somewhere. Good luck! :P

-snip-

Thanks for the encouragement! I don't think minecraft is dying as such, but it's become much more commercialized which is killing off the smaller servers.

Not necessarily, but the amount of new users seems to decreasing quite a lot, now at only half of it's peak: https://www.google.se/trends/explore?da ... 0minecraft

However, to you it probably wouldn't matter that much since it's at about the same popularity as when you first joined
(or even more than when you joined apparently)
08/16/2016 12:33 pm
Moralous
XLCREEPERGah! Beat me by 2 years... I was interested in MC for 1 year before I got it in 2012... in the 1.3.2 release.

I was a part of a server called "Dimensions" for about 4 years now. And btw, don't worry about the whole advertisement rule. The server sadly crashed a month ago due to lack of players. This server was called Inferno for the first three and switched to Dimensions after a server failure through lack of money in 2014-15 and we started again. I have a super long story of my time on it but I won't be putting it here for obvious reasons. What else is there to say? I was treated like a nobody there all the time.

All I can say is, if it wasn't already obvious, smaller servers are definitely dying off because of Minecraft's popularity drops. I want to blame the updates for this, although I'm not sure if I can entirely.

Also, good luck on your venture to make a big server. It was never easy and due to the loss of players in the game community itself, it's even more difficult, but I hope you can make it big somewhere. Good luck! :P

-snip-

Thanks for the encouragement! I don't think minecraft is dying as such, but it's become much more commercialized which is killing off the smaller servers.
08/16/2016 7:02 am
Level 44 : Master Mage
XLegomenon
Gah! Beat me by 2 years... I was interested in MC for 1 year before I got it in 2012... in the 1.3.2 release.

Also, good luck on your venture to make a big server. It was never easy and due to the loss of players in the game community itself, it's even more difficult, but I hope you can make it big somewhere. Good luck!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome