Potential 'Data Pack Creating Tutorial' YouTube Series

FieryHammer's Avatar FieryHammer5/16/19 10:11 am
1 emeralds 203 4
5/21/2019 1:24 pm
FieryHammer's Avatar FieryHammer
Hello everyone!

I'm learning more and more about data pack creation. I used to (or rarely still) make YouTube videos and the idea came to my mind when I was thinking about some YouTube content. When I would be confident with my knowledge and know enough to begin with, I would start a data pack tutorial series on YouTube.

I am 25 years old, and a software engineer, so I have the mindset for things like this and I really, really hope I would be able to make a series both fun and interesting. I imagined I would go from the very basics of commands to more complex data packs, recreating my data packs (which I have published and those which I have not), showing how people can find relevant information about anything so they can create what is inside their head.

So what do you think? Does it sound good? Do you have any questions / suggestions?

Any feedback is welcome! :)

Thank you!
FieryHammer
Level 55 : Grandmaster Modder

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/21/2019 4:11 am
Level 36 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
A tutorial on this would be interesting (regardless of the degree to which it was relevant to my personal situation) and could encourage wider creation of such.

A suggestion, inlcuding text files (particularly for the code/ templates) that can be downloaded from links in the description (ie without having to pause the vid and retype) would likely be appreciated.

'Chunking' the included information would also be important to making the serioes easy to use.
Even at the cost of repeating some information, the non-random access nature of video suggests that each entry in the series should be (largely) independant of the others.
eg each common command might merit its own (short) video, with separate entries expanding descriptions of targeting and cooridinant specification options.
05/21/2019 1:24 pm
FieryHammer
Thanks! This is a really valuable feedback to me. I'm currently working on a really large scale data pack which is really useful to me to learn the ins and outs of everything regarding it.

What I plan to do is exactly what you suggest. Shorter videos that contain independant knowledge. I plan to start the series with basic stuff, like only in-game commands, how does execute, tellraw stuff work, later showing the audience tools that can generate colorful tellraw messages easily (after I made sure people understand why and how those things work) then turning to datapacks, starting really simple then going more complex.

And what I plan to do is to show the people how can they find information as well, so they can not only replicate what I did, but after coming up their own ideas, they find tips and information to those and be able to create anything (hopefully)
05/16/2019 11:06 am
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Creeper Hugger
luxmiyu
Should be great! Most important thing would be if you yourself would enjoy it. And something I'd mention would be that knowing something doesn't automatically mean that you know how to teach that something (not assuming that this is your case).

Eitherway you choose ~ good luck! I'm sure it'll turn out great :D
05/16/2019 11:10 am
FieryHammer
Thank you for your feedback! I enjoy teaching and people say I'm good at it (friends / fellow university students / co-workers). I tend to find how to make stuff interesting, I hope I would be able to do the same here too :)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome