What so you look for in skins?

nikh's Avatar nikh5/17/15 11:38 pm
5/31/2015 9:02 pm
Johnanater's Avatar Johnanater
What makes you diamond a skin? Simple shading? Character? Creator?
nikh
Level 29 : Expert Artist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/31/2015 9:02 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
I don't really change my skin, and if I do I change it back. Normally the changes are just me in a different suit.
05/31/2015 9:01 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Minerrr
I normally look for darker colors and good shading effects.
05/31/2015 8:57 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Magical Girl
BIO
I like skins with a good concept as the character itself or an interesting technique (Interesting shading mostly) and good colors that aren't super duper over bright >.< I like low saturation colors
05/31/2015 8:50 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
My favorite skins are the ones that look cool. I don't really care about what kind of shading (as long as it's not noise or pillow), or who made it, as long as they did the character justice, and made it look awesome.

So yeah, that's why I don't really like hyper-realistic skins, as they tend to not look as cool. No one uses skins because of their realism.
05/31/2015 11:44 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
alex1113
I look for nice shading, and dark colours mainly. I'm not much of a fan of brightly coloured skins. I also look for originality, not just a slightly different variation of a popular skin.
05/31/2015 11:23 am
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Ash
Someone that can create colors half as good as Danori. Which isn't a lot of people
05/31/2015 10:29 am
Level 50 : Grandmaster Kitten
PaperDragon1
Cuteness, shading, concept, character

In that order.
05/18/2015 2:41 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Good shading, pleasing palette, original concept.

On the topic of "good shading", that basically refers to anything that looks like it was made because the artist is skilled, not noise shading, template shading, pillow shading, or gradient shading. Doesn't matter to me if it's simple or realistic.
05/18/2015 2:50 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
PixelCrash_
I have to admit, one of my biggest mistakes when I first began skinning was thinking that noise shading = realistic shading.
05/18/2015 2:44 pm
Level 48 : Master Blockhead
Happs
Noise shading master race pl0x
05/18/2015 2:26 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
PixelCrash_
Shading, colors, concept/originality.

Sometimes a skin might not be all that original (like a mage skin) but the colors and shading make it stand out. Sometimes it's the other way around; a skin's shading might be a bit messy, but the concept is outstanding.

Simple shading, when done right, can look great, but I personally prefer realistic shading.
05/17/2015 11:47 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
Combination of those three.

Shading > Creator > Character is the general order to look at when deciding to diamond something.
05/17/2015 11:46 pm
Level 48 : Master Blockhead
Happs
Teen skins.

Just kidding. Nice colours (hue-shifting), a nice concept or nice shading.
Originality is key.

To get nice colours you read up on people such as the_soup and KnobleKnives. To get nice concepts you just kinda hang around and get them coming to you until there's so many you cannot hold them all - going with a pun or a joke is always great unless it's an overworked pun. Nice shading is dependent on the person, really you have to skin a lot and see what people like, just don't copy others but DO look at other skins and get to know what sits well by simply witnessing it all and taking it in.

Originality is hard for some, but definitely not impossible.

all amazing skins are a part of the Slugnati, shh
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome