Why do some great skinners not get recongized

AA_'s Avatar AA_1/18/16 11:42 pm
1/19/2016 7:20 pm
deletedaccount12313's Avatar deletedaccount12313
So I've been poking around the site for a little while, and I've noticed some great skinners who never really get popreel, and have very few subs. So I'm just wondering why don't they get recongized.
AA_
Level 12 : Journeyman Skinner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/19/2016 7:20 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Hunter
deletedaccount12313
I agree with HalloWeen, a lot of people are on the site, which makes it hard to get noticed on here. But going onto the chat sometimes never hurt anyone
01/19/2016 6:48 pm
Level 74 : Legendary Pixel Painter
Anxiety Opossum
woutervleeuwen
aeropulse(Also, the popreel is the changing thing on the front page that highlights "popular" items. As said, it really doesn't matter at this point, because it's overrun with teen skins.)

Doesn't that just take skins from the What's Hot page though? I don't really know the big difference, honestly. Although the popreel may be a bit more fast paced then.

And it appears the only skins i've made so far can in fact be labeled teen skins (safe to say i've taken a lot of inspiration from the What's Hot page/popreel to get gud at skinning), i guess. So far i've had fun creating them. The skins i've seen so far aren't bad at all. My feelings are hurt.

I wasn't saying that they were bad, just that the popreel has become overrun with that type of skin, and currently lacks diversity.

I didn't mean to hurt you feelings in any way. Actually, the skins that you've made are definitely some of the more interesting, and original ones that I've seen.
01/19/2016 4:56 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
You gotta be active to be reconized.
I'm sure a lot of people know who I am because I usually comment stuff on the forums everyday.

Remember - PMC is also about community, and if you can only furfill the "create" and not the "Share" then you're pretty god damn doomed to not get a lot of subcribers. None-the-less because no one knows you.
01/19/2016 4:38 pm
Level 21 : Expert Fish
MrCatSquid
It;s because they aren't teen skins. All the cool kids have teen skins. (Just joking, btw)
01/19/2016 4:35 pm
Level 20 : Expert Hunter
Monotone
"Good" is a relative term. There's also the matter of most of the recognized people shade the same way and produce similar content. I myself have been on PMC for nearly a year and have not given out "popular" content, though I make a point of going in chat and taking inspiration from other skinners. If you don't socialize and advertise a little bit then your skins/projects/etc will more than likely stay in the dark.
01/19/2016 3:56 pm
Level 42 : Master System
idaidaida
aeropulse(Also, the popreel is the changing thing on the front page that highlights "popular" items. As said, it really doesn't matter at this point, because it's overrun with teen skins.)

Doesn't that just take skins from the What's Hot page though? I don't really know the big difference, honestly. Although the popreel may be a bit more fast paced then.

And it appears the only skins i've made so far can in fact be labeled teen skins (safe to say i've taken a lot of inspiration from the What's Hot page/popreel to get gud at skinning), i guess. So far i've had fun creating them. The skins i've seen so far aren't bad at all. My feelings are hurt.
01/19/2016 1:59 pm
Level 74 : Legendary Pixel Painter
Anxiety Opossum
It really just comes down to the fact that they haven't put their work out there for others to see.

You can't become known without letting people know you're there, can you?

(Also, the popreel is the changing thing on the front page that highlights "popular" items. As said, it really doesn't matter at this point, because it's overrun with teen skins.)
01/19/2016 6:40 am
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
They probably don't get on with people in chat.
01/19/2016 6:27 am
Level 45 : Master Crafter
SensorialGlint6
I think, I might start to count such (skinner selfpromotion) "not get recognized" posts. As for some reason I see them non-stop being created.
01/19/2016 4:22 am
idaidaida
I don't even know what the popreel is. Can someone explain?
01/19/2016 2:13 pm
AA_
popreel is where you skin is on the "what's hot" page
01/19/2016 10:12 am
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
It's another stupid thing, just ignore them.
01/19/2016 1:50 pm
idaidaida
So how do i ignore it if i don't know what it is? I don't know how stupid it may be but i'd still like to know what it is.

Agent003But I think the answer is to overshade your skins, give all your skins stupid or dramatic names, and make them look dumb. That's how you get popular.

And ofcourse using special characters to replace every single letter in your skin title. It worked for me, i got like one extra diamond from it! (But i should probably stop doing it myself too, i feel like cringing at my own skin titles right now honestly)
01/19/2016 2:29 am
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
Most of the good ones are fairly recognized... who are you referring to?
01/19/2016 2:15 pm
AA_
01/19/2016 4:10 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Fisherman
Aegeah
it's probably because all those skins are typical teen girl skins, and blend in with the thousands of other teen girl skins on the site

edit: and from the looks of it, there seems to be some use of hair bases too, which doesn't bode well when you're trying to actually make your own skins
01/19/2016 2:46 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
^ Although, "good" is pretty relative and very different from popular on this site. If we're talking about being recognized as a "quality" skinner by other "quality" skinners, they just need a lot more work to put in. But if we're talking about flat out having X amount of subscribers and getting a popular reel every time, you don't need to do much other than find one thing the community likes and spam it the rest of your life.
01/19/2016 2:16 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Architect
HalloWeen
Because there's just so many people on the site.

It happens in building, too. Not so much in texture packs, though. Seeing as there aren't that many here. I guess over time they'll gain attention if they stay at it!
01/19/2016 12:13 am
Level 20 : Expert Ranger
Agent003
I'd agree. It's just like music. Great artists go unnoticed and crummy ones are bossted to the top. I guess it's all about popularity and getting word out. Check out my skins too!
01/19/2016 10:03 am
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
^^^
But I think the answer is to overshade your skins, give all your skins stupid or dramatic names, and make them look dumb. That's how you get popular.
01/19/2016 10:28 am
Level 74 : Legendary Vampire
Drzzter
I think someone needs to practice making skins a little more and spend less time trying to be bitter and hateful of others' work.

Agent003 hit the nail on the head. Get out there and advertise your work, use the chat to make friends and new subscribers, put a link to your skin in the chat every once in awhile. Maybe even think about showing off your work on the forums. There is a large part of the community that doesn't check the 'whats new' section, by limiting yourself to it, you're making your audience smaller than it could be.

If you start getting those first few subscribers word of mouth gets around, your skins show up on people's activity feeds, they cannot help but see it when they log on to the site. You get those first few diamonds from your subscribers and you make it onto the 'what's hot' section, more people see it in that section. You get a few more diamonds from the people who frequent the 'hot' section and you're well on your way to the popreel.
01/19/2016 12:07 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Crafter
kittco36
cos they are only good in your opinion
01/18/2016 11:49 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Not active in other areas of the community and/or they don't advertise.
01/18/2016 11:46 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Kardashian
probably bc all they do is skin
like they dont even comment or give diamonds to any favorites
log on > post skin > log off ??
01/19/2016 6:49 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Artist
ZacPlaysMCYT
how do you get that nyan cat thing
01/18/2016 11:47 pm