1
Help Making a Texture Pack
Hey guys! I really want some help making a texture pack!
If you want to help just PM me!
I WILL give credits when it is uploaded.
If you want to help just PM me!
I WILL give credits when it is uploaded.
9
I am trying to make a texture pack too, but I don't have a base for it.
If you have Minecraft, you do.
Open the .JAR, look through the images (start with the assets folder) and find the textures you want to change.
Make a new folder in the resourcepacks folder (this folder is just the container, think of it just like the .JAR or a .ZIP), and drag the texture you want to modify.
Try to make the inside of your texture pack mimic parts of the .JAR. Start with an assets folder, then minecraft, then textures, then continue on with the folder that contains what file you want to edit. Make sure it is placed here (you can just skip retrieving the texture until this step) in the proper place as it is in the .JAR.
Make a pack.mcmeta file using notepad (or another simple plain text editor) containing this (save in Unicode/UTF-8):
{"pack": {"pack_format": 1, "description": "This is a description"}}
Add a pack.png as well. At this stage your pack should be recognized by Minecraft in-game.
When you want to distribute it, go into your pack folder (where you see the assets folder) and zip up the contents of it with an archive manager, drag it up a level into the resourcepacks folder, this should now be detected as well if you've done it correctly. If so you can now share the file. BUT STOP! I takes MONTHS to make a good pack, if not YEARS if you haven't done textures (but have done graphics) before! Consider waiting before deciding on any sort of release. Also, be original. If you've got this idea for "SimpleCraft", it's been done before..... thousands and thousands of times..... so don't do it.
One last note: (besides things needed for pack detection) You do NOT need to include every file in a pack! Only include files you have EDITED, as Minecraft automatically loads textures not present in the pack with default. Including default files adds bloat to your pack, makes it harder to tell what you've go done, and is an amateur mistake. If opening the .JAR is slow for you, consider extracting the .JAR somewhere and deleting unneeded files like the class files.
Hope this helps....
EDIT: I should also mention that most texture artists already do it manually like this, and basic templates aren't really helpful because you've got to learn how to do all this stuff for pack making sooner or later, anyways.
Open the .JAR, look through the images (start with the assets folder) and find the textures you want to change.
Make a new folder in the resourcepacks folder (this folder is just the container, think of it just like the .JAR or a .ZIP), and drag the texture you want to modify.
Try to make the inside of your texture pack mimic parts of the .JAR. Start with an assets folder, then minecraft, then textures, then continue on with the folder that contains what file you want to edit. Make sure it is placed here (you can just skip retrieving the texture until this step) in the proper place as it is in the .JAR.
Make a pack.mcmeta file using notepad (or another simple plain text editor) containing this (save in Unicode/UTF-8):
{"pack": {"pack_format": 1, "description": "This is a description"}}
Add a pack.png as well. At this stage your pack should be recognized by Minecraft in-game.
When you want to distribute it, go into your pack folder (where you see the assets folder) and zip up the contents of it with an archive manager, drag it up a level into the resourcepacks folder, this should now be detected as well if you've done it correctly. If so you can now share the file. BUT STOP! I takes MONTHS to make a good pack, if not YEARS if you haven't done textures (but have done graphics) before! Consider waiting before deciding on any sort of release. Also, be original. If you've got this idea for "SimpleCraft", it's been done before..... thousands and thousands of times..... so don't do it.
One last note: (besides things needed for pack detection) You do NOT need to include every file in a pack! Only include files you have EDITED, as Minecraft automatically loads textures not present in the pack with default. Including default files adds bloat to your pack, makes it harder to tell what you've go done, and is an amateur mistake. If opening the .JAR is slow for you, consider extracting the .JAR somewhere and deleting unneeded files like the class files.
Hope this helps....
EDIT: I should also mention that most texture artists already do it manually like this, and basic templates aren't really helpful because you've got to learn how to do all this stuff for pack making sooner or later, anyways.
I could help texture items and mobs.
I could help texture items and mobs, but I am bad at blocks.
Well, what do you need help with?
I'd like someone who can for example, help make a certain block/mob and send me the file.
I can do that, which ones do you need?
I will send it in a PM, I really like the stuff you make!
I can do that, which ones do you need?
