Computer won't boot. Help!

PizzaPenguin_'s Avatar PizzaPenguin_4/21/15 10:06 pm
4/24/2015 9:55 am
FCCAGut12's Avatar FCCAGut12
Well, Cloudflare "blocks" me everytime I try to post this thread, perhaps because it is too long? I'm just pasting it over from a thread I opened on another site. I really need help, so I'm posting here too. Here's the thread on the other site so you can see my problem and help me.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... -boot.html
PizzaPenguin_
Level 30 : Artisan Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/23/2015 11:44 pm
PizzaPenguin_
Wait... am I able to return it thru Newegg since it's been more than 30 days? Is it even covered by Biostars warranty?
04/24/2015 9:55 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
FCCAGut12
When I contacted them after my 30 days for Newegg they sent me the phone number to call HP for a USB stick which has a 1 year warranty. Newegg will get you to the right place.
04/23/2015 10:31 pm
FCCAGut12
It's a motherboard/RAM failure. The CPU must load the BIOS into RAM to load the necessary services to run everything. If it can't, black screen as the integrated graphics don't have the necessary services because they don't exist. That points to an internal motherboard failure if you already know the RAM works. The kernel is always loaded into RAM so when you are running something new it has to access the memory controller. It could be your CPU itself but it's highly unlikely. Your northbridge is the side of your motherboard that controls graphics, the CPU, any graphic card, and the memory controller and once the kernel can't access RAM (not hard drive, Linux can continue doing already ran tasks when the drive is disconnected), it crashes. The southbridge which is your USB, your hard drive, any external ports, your keyboard, and your mouse. Besides your hard drive freezing (which is caused by an unseen kernel panic), you just named everything that's having a problem on the northbridge side.

To tell if you have a problem with the BIOS into RAM, press the numlock key and see if it comes on. If it doesn't, USB or any southbridge port hasn't initialized yet and BIOS isn't completely loaded yet. That can give the illusion of it to be a southbridge problem but really it's the logical part of the motherboard that has the issue and that's what's confusing you. I think the original PSU caused it.
04/23/2015 11:25 pm
PizzaPenguin_
That makes sense. Thanks! I'll try to send back the old mobo and get a new one.
04/23/2015 8:25 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Have you tried using a dedicated GPU yet?
04/23/2015 8:30 pm
PizzaPenguin_
I have not. The only one in my house is in my brother's computer, and he's using it for schoolwork right now. If it works with that, does that mean i have a CPU issue?
04/23/2015 8:31 pm
Leeberator
Yeah, pretty much. Or an issue in the connection between the iGPU and the video connector.
04/23/2015 8:51 pm
PizzaPenguin_
OK, I'll try to test that when I can. So if my mobo is the issue, and I send it back to Newegg, do I get a refund or a replacement? If I get a refund, what LGA 1150 Motherboard would you suggest I buy, under $70 before rebates? I was looking at this one.

EDIT: Also, how could it be an iGPU issue if it can't even boot to BIOS now?
04/23/2015 9:50 pm
Leeberator
I'd go for that motherboard; it's pretty nice. You'd have to send an RMA to Biostar if you wanted it replaced, or return it to Newegg for a refund if you can.

You need some sort of video adapter to display anything on the screen.
04/23/2015 8:23 pm
PizzaPenguin_
OK, so here's where I'm at now.

A few hours ago I tried installing Zorin OS off of a USB flash drive. When I selected that I wanted to install it, my screen became covered in green static. Immediately, the computer shut itself down.

Now, when I attempt to turn it back on, it won't do anything except a single twitch of the CPU fan. This is with either RAM stick in any configuration. I think this is a motherboard issue, so I'll try to send it back.

Do I contact Newegg (where I ordered the mobo from) or Biostar (the manufacturer) and would I get a refund, or a replacement product?
04/23/2015 7:17 pm
Level 1 : New Network
WorldsofMC
Does your system exhibit the exact same behaviour if you boot using the Ubuntu Live CD? (Not installation) The Ubuntu installation CD has an option to "Try Ubuntu" without installing.

if it does, It could be the motherboard, RAM or power supply if not it could be the hard drive. There's also an option on booting the CD for a memory test. What does it come up with?
04/23/2015 6:23 pm
PizzaPenguin_
It's a Samsung Spinpoint HDD. 320GB - from an old Dell Inspiron but it's been wiped since then. Could it be the issue?
04/23/2015 6:23 pm
Leeberator
How old is it? And does it click when it's running?
04/23/2015 6:26 pm
PizzaPenguin_
Pretty old - I'd say 6 or 7 years. No clicking. Yesterday, before I tried to reinstall Ubuntu (and inadvertently wiped all my old files), it would load up all of old things fine, before me getting one error or another. If it's a harddrive issue, though, why can I only use one stick of RAM?
04/23/2015 6:54 pm
Leeberator
Then it's probably not a hard drive issue. It might be a motherboard issue. What mobo do you have?
04/23/2015 7:00 pm
PizzaPenguin_
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813138384

And... guess what just happened. I turned on my computer and selected boot options in the BIOS. I selected my USB drive to try to install Zorin. I selected that I wanted to install it, and then my screen filled with a large, green, static, and then my computer shut down. Now, when I try to turn on, my CPU fan twitches once and then the computer just stops and I have to try again. This has to be motherboard, right?
04/23/2015 7:07 pm
Leeberator
Sounds like a mobo problem, but just to make sure it's not something else, check if it's a GPU issue. Are you on integrated graphics?
04/23/2015 5:32 pm
Leeberator
Out of curiosity, are you using a Seagate drive?
04/23/2015 5:14 pm
PizzaPenguin_
Yes I can boot to BIOS, and get to installation menus for both Zorin and Ubuntu but they both freeze during installation.
04/23/2015 5:21 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
Sounds like an HDD problem. Do you have a spare to try?
04/23/2015 3:59 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
OfficiallBlox
Can you boot it into safe mode?
04/23/2015 3:49 pm
Level 43 : Master Pokemon
Jacob Rigoberto
Are you able to enter the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) menu?
04/23/2015 3:41 pm
PizzaPenguin_
I don't think the RAM is the problem because it's the exact same issue with my brother's fully funational RAM. His power supply also doesn't work in my PC. The only way I knew it was my old FSP Group PSU that was the problem is because using my brothers boot my computer up like regular. But now even though there are NO differences it still won't work. I think it has to be something wrong with the mobo. Going to contact Newegg and / or Bio star and try to RMA.
04/23/2015 11:20 am
FCCAGut12
If it's the PSU you changed then the PSU is the problem. How do you know the PSU died in the first place? While FSP Group is a major brand that many companies go to to make certain series of power supplies and has a very good reputation there is a chance the PSU died in a sort of catastrophic way frying something.

What are the kernel panic errors? You can see them in /var/log/

"It then tries again and again, all while not displaying anything onscreen. Not even a blinking white cursor in the top left." This problem actually points to the first RAM stick, however it can also mean the CPU isn't seated properly or is overheating. I doubt it's the hard drive and I don't think it's the CPU itself as CPU failures happen very rarely and they typically don't go further into a boot process to the point where graphics are involved. However, with it crashing on programs and kernel panics points to the RAM being the issue and if you are using known good RAM sticks this is a sign of a motherboard failure.

In relation to RAM, you may have a bad slot. However if the PSU is all you changed I have a suspicion the original PSU caused the problems. The answer for that would be your motherboard is bad.

Please tell us more about the original PSU that you were using before and how you found out it died. For the record, the paper clip test isn't a true test as it just shorts the power on to ground and doesn't have a load on it. The best way to test for a faulty PSU is to use a drive like a DVD or a Hard Drive and using either a PSU tester or if you are familiar with DC voltages, use a volt meter which is a bit more accurate depending on the PSU tester.
04/23/2015 10:49 am
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
American Megatrends is a thing in the BIOS, not sure what. Try:
- Taking out the CMOS battery and leaving your PC unplugged for 10 minutes
- Clearing the CMOS with the jumper pins
- Run Memtest86 (Google is your friend)
- Check motherboard CPU socket pins and BE VERY CAREFUL to make sure none are bent

Consider checking your board with a different CPU or your CPU with a different board.
04/23/2015 9:52 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Turtle
Tdonny
Make sure the ram is duel channel and your motherboard has support for it...
04/23/2015 9:34 am
PizzaPenguin_
OK, so I can get to the BIOS and attempt to reinstall Ubuntu, or install a different OS like Zorin, but every time during OS installation, it freezes at some point, and never resumes. This is true using my PSU, my brother's PSU, my RAM, and his RAM, and every time, it only gets to BIOS if I have just one stick of RAM in. This is a motherboard problem, correct? What else could have caused SO many errors and is seemingly unfixable, and does the same thing with different PSU's and RAM. Also, I'm 99% sure the CPU or Hard Drive are causing any issues. So, should I try to return the motherboard? I got it from Newegg - will they send me a replacement or refund it?
04/22/2015 3:19 pm
PizzaPenguin_
Now it boots but it goes into low graphics mode and I can't do anything. If I open a program the computer freezes and one time on startup I got a fatal kernel panic. This is only when I use one stick of ram. Both sticks doesn't boot. I'm gping to reinstall ubuntu When I get home.
04/21/2015 11:43 pm
PizzaPenguin_
No error messages. Just cycles through the CPU gam going on and off. I can test with a good psu and ram tomorrow.
04/21/2015 11:19 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
I suppose first steps would include getting ram that you have NOT used and know works from your brother, and testing his PSU (low chance, but heck, that could have gone bad too by random chance).

Could the hard drive be the problem?

Also, any errors or messages at all?
04/21/2015 11:09 pm
PizzaPenguin_
I feel as if this may be a RAM problem, although I'm no expert. When I just have 1 stick of RAM in, the fan twitches then spins at full speed and gradually slows down, but with both in, it never starts. Tomorrow I can test with a PSU that I know works, and also some different RAM.
04/21/2015 10:36 pm
PizzaPenguin_
nammerbomWhen you boot up your computer do you get a blinking white cursor in the top left of the screen? Also are you sure you discharged static before touching motherboard components?

I am pretty sure I have been grounded every time I touched components, but I guess that could be an issue.

No blinking white cursor.
04/21/2015 10:32 pm
Level 40 : Master Architect
nammerbom
When you (attempt to) boot up your computer do you get a blinking white cursor in the top left of the screen? Also are you sure you discharged static before touching motherboard components?
04/21/2015 10:15 pm
PizzaPenguin_
Now, the CPU fan simply twitches once or twice, then goes into full speed, and gradually slows down then stops. It then tries again and again, all while not displaying anything onscreen.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome