"The Catacombs 0.07" EARLY ALPHA [UPDATED]

brannydonowt's Avatar brannydonowt8/25/14 8:22 pm
9/3/2014 7:00 am
Bubz's Avatar Bubz
Hey there! I work for a small indie game development team called "Co-op Studios"

We recently started working on a new game "The Catacombs"

What is "The Catacombs"?
Click to reveal
The Catacombs is a first-person horror game in which you must venture through a creepy cave system to escape. You are not alone. A monster will be hunting for you as you try to escape this place and as your flashlight is slowly running out of power, you are running out of time. You can find collectables around the map which (once found) will appear in your "Home" (A menu selection)

I am going to keep this forum updated with all of the latest news and videos/screenshots

Video's

News

FAQ
Click to reveal
1. Will there be a demo soon?

Yes, we will be releasing a demo when the game is close finishing development, this won't be for a while though.

2. Can I be an Alpha Tester?

Yes! To become an Alpha Tester you can just add me on Skype! brannydonowt
Once you have added me I will ask you a few questions and then you're ready!

We would also really like to hear feedback too! Your thoughts, opinion, anything! It helps us out and means a lot!

Thank you for your time

~ Co-Op Studios
brannydonowt
Level 4 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/03/2014 7:00 am
Level 35 : Artisan Blockhead
Bubz
Looks pretty good. But to me it looks like you just threw in the player controller and added some models (great models by the way). Unless you custom coded the walking script and I'm pretty sure that the audio script as well.
09/03/2014 3:25 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Scribe
SuperSecretFakeAccount
Me again! More ideas for a great game!

This project has had lots of dedication already, but you should get a kick starter. Its helpful to get those extra funds for the game!

To make the game "challenging" You should add ways to die. Perhaps the player has to many jump scares, and finally gets taken out. Or maybe the bridge breaks, and you happen to fall off?

Also, The voices are to severe, They almost ruin the game. Maybe turn the volume down a bit? Or add more sounds to the loop. Its a bit to repetitive.

Thanks for reading.
08/29/2014 9:28 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
funny bunny
omg pewds should play this
08/29/2014 9:37 am
brannydonowt
We'd be grateful if he did, we'll ask him when we have a version ready for him to play!
08/29/2014 9:11 am
Level 24 : Expert Warrior
LoZFTW
Looks amazing! Has that Slender-ish vibe. Just, ugh that voice. Are you planning to get it on Steam Greenlight soon?
08/29/2014 9:36 am
brannydonowt
Yes! We will be releasing this on Steam Greenlight when the time is right!
08/29/2014 9:45 am
Level 24 : Expert Warrior
LoZFTW
Also, is it free? If it's not then how much will it cost?
08/29/2014 9:52 am
brannydonowt
It won't be free I'm afraid. I'm not sure how much the finished version will cost either, although it won't be over £6
08/29/2014 7:07 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
sunnydog1
Ok, I am reallllllyyy bad with scary games. But I might have to play it when it comes out. Looks awesome, keep wrkig on it
08/29/2014 8:59 am
brannydonowt
Thanks! We're going to be working on it as hard as we can!
08/29/2014 4:58 am
Level 42 : Master Fox
LuxLacis
This looks amazing! I'd DEFINITELY play this!
08/29/2014 6:18 am
brannydonowt
Thanks!
08/29/2014 3:49 am
SuperSecretFakeAccount
( I also applied for the alpha testing, hoping to be accepted! )
08/29/2014 3:47 am
SuperSecretFakeAccount
I have a couple of ideas,

The Caverns are a bit to straight forward, You just follow one cave system. If you were to add 1 or 2 different routes, Maybe make a floor like a maze. That would also be good. You could also add textures for ores, or different types of stone. Maybe little rivets in the cave so it looks realistic.

Improving on my last idea, You could make the roof fall in on you at one point. Maybe even a way to end the game?

The falling is to artificial. To stop that, Make a falling animation. Maybe have a short cut scene for the first fall? Make the characters arms flail about on the screen. He could also drop the torch at the bottom, This would make for a perfect jump scare.
Another good jumpscare would be the player tripping on a large stone, and of course dropping the torch. So many possibilitys involving dropping the torch.

The game is not exactly... "Horror" yet. Jumpscares are great and all, But sometimes a REALY creepy atmosphere is better. Just leave the player waiting for a jumpscare, But it never comes.

If you want to put jumpscares in, A good way of doing them legit is putting a figure in the path. Maybe a dead body with a figure standing near it? Or you could just make the figure disappear into the mists. The playable teaser (PT) of the new silent hills is SCARY. It has hardly any jumpscares, One of my favourite parts was the radio telling you to "Turn Around". Once the player does turn around, there is nothing there. Methods like that ensure the player is allways on edge. Maybe add a realy old radio, With a disturbing sound on it. Thank you for reading.
08/29/2014 6:25 am
brannydonowt
We know the caverns are straight forward (in the video) this is because I only show one route in the video, you can quite easily go a different way which could lead to a different (or the same) place. I like your idea about the maze, I will consider implementing something like this. Also about adding more details (Ores, rivets, etc) We will probably add this in the future, it's just that adding details like this isn't a focus for us right now, we want to get the sound, physics, flashlight and AI perfect before we focus on detail.

Making the roof cave in on the player is a possible feature and I will consider it. I'm not sure it will be the best way to go.

I understand the falling is artificial, this will be worked on in a future update.

All of your jumpscare idea's are great and I'm sure we will be using some of these methods in the game.

Thank you for your time and feedback, it means a lot to us!
08/29/2014 3:08 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lava Rider
eagoy
Nicely done update.

Glad to see that the arm isn´t static anymore. Also that you could see the campfire from afar. The falling is still not natural except for the last fall so there is some improvement left.

Also I got the idea the whispering (children?) voices where more added. To much I think, it became a bit repetitive. Personally looking at the tunnels and such I do think some sounds of dripping water will work to, or some annoying bat sounds. Also the bats can be used for flying away along the player and break vision, for a sudden monster encounter or such? just a suggestion. The singing voice is well done, a bit creepy but good. I do wonder where it come from as it lasted over a long distance? Maybe a childish singing monster sneaking up to you from behind?

Ah well, as last I noticed at the end some support structures from wood, which I like. Maybe let here and there some stuff lying around from before, mining stuff, structure support, laterns and such. The halls are still quite empty.
08/29/2014 6:18 am
brannydonowt
Thank you for the feedback! We are still working on the falling and we understand that there is still room for improvement. We are also reworking all of the sounds in game to create more of an atmosphere of course.

The idea of including bats isn't one that we have ignored and we will think about it for a future update. I also like your idea for a possible jump scare coming from the bats.

Soon we plan to add some kind of sanity meter which will effect the sound effects that are playing, we are also (soon) going to go along the lines of "Less is more" with the sound effects.

Also, for now we know the map is basic, this is what the map is going to look like (pretty much) until we have created all of the basic functioanlity (Enemy AI, physics, sound, etc..)

Thank you for the feedback, it is highly appreciated!
08/28/2014 5:22 pm
brannydonowt
I just updated the post to have 0.07 footage too! The new update!
08/26/2014 5:31 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Skinner
KingRex35
*reads "You are not alone."* YAY! *reads "A monster is hunting you."* I'm out!
08/26/2014 5:51 pm
brannydonowt
Haha
08/26/2014 3:26 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lava Rider
eagoy
Not bad at all. The graphics looks good so far although the arm is a bit simple looking.
Besides I wouldn´t be able to keep my arm for so long at the same point. Try to make some movement in it that it isn´t static.

Also I noticed that there was a campfire. Only visible from a short range but wouldn´t a light source like that visible from far, far away?

I also agree with Reer123, the falls where from quite some heights for moving directly away.

Since it is made in unity, according towards the indiedb.com, will there also be a linux version of it?

As last, is this game inspired by amnesia?
08/26/2014 5:27 pm
brannydonowt
Thank you for the reply!

So a few things first...

1. We have recently improved the flashlight and arm A LOT! You will get to see why in the next update video.

2. We are currently working on the fall system as we understand it is un-natural and weird.

3. I will quickly get to work on making the campfire emit more light!

4. No, this game is not inspired by Amnesia

5. And yes, this game MAY support Linux...

Once again, thank yo ufor the reply and feedback it means a lot to the team!
08/26/2014 8:20 am
brannydonowt
Hey, I have recently updated this post, it now contains a new gameplay video of the latest version of the game! I'm also making this a post to keep you guys up to date with all of the latest news about the game!
08/25/2014 8:29 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Reer123
Looks nice but I'd say you need to add in something to show that the character has taken a fall, when he jumped into the hole it looked very artificial and fake, also what is the game about? With the wooden planks there should be creaking noises and maybe a jump scare where a part of it falls away.

All together, it looks like a nice game.
08/25/2014 8:35 pm
brannydonowt
Thank you for your feedback, this game is really early in development are there are still many features we are yet to implement... I will be sure to take these into consideration and about the falling, we know We are already working on this, once again , thanks!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome