Any one else getting sick of ad.fly?

DontAdaptMe's Avatar DontAdaptMe6/3/12 6:34 pm
6/3/2012 9:22 pm
Palaeos's Avatar Palaeos
I ask because I notice a lot of creators use it. I initially tried to use it to see if it would even work - apparently the Planet Minecraft does not allow it any more. However other users are still alowed to use it... my only guess was that since the upload was posted earlier the link stayed...

At one point and time the user actionguy87 sent me a PM after I posted the mediafire link that was hidden by ad.fly in the comments. Lucky for me he was nice enough to put an ad-free link in the description area.

My opinion: I think creators should get credit for the work they do but still... I am not sure.

How do you feel about ad.fly (and other services like it)?

BTW actionguy87 is a great creator - hopefully there are no hard feelings regarding that...
DontAdaptMe
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Palaeos
06/03/2012 9:22 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Turtle
Flame war brewing, locked.
Calico
06/03/2012 9:20 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
5urface
Aegis_Tactician

And this goes to the average American: How many languages do YOU speak to have the right to correct anybody? And I am talking about actually being able to communicate in that language. Donde esta el gato doesn't count -.-

America why are you so ignorant?

There are a lot of Americans that can speak more than one language. You'd be surprised.
5urface
06/03/2012 9:15 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Pegasus
DontAdaptMe@5urface something tells me you are not American and you have an underlying hate for America (and possibly Americans in general).

Yes, I am not American. No I do not hate them actually I quite adore them, I even lived in the USA for about a year. I just dislike ignorance...
DontAdaptMe
06/03/2012 9:14 pm
@5urface something tells me you are not American and have something against America.
JordyB423
06/03/2012 9:07 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
AdBlock addon blocks it every time and still shows the 'skip ad' button. I use it constantly! Never even saw an ad from there. Just blissful white!
Catfish_Prototype
06/03/2012 9:06 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
I once got something called "setup.exe" from adfly, I deleted it as soon as it popped onto my screen! That place is evil! D:
DontAdaptMe
06/03/2012 9:03 pm
^^Thank you

I don't know...
mommaCarole
06/03/2012 9:02 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Witch
The PMC rule is "no adfly links until you're level 20, and then you have to apply for it."

Why? Because everyone would be attaching the links to everything they uploaded otherwise. And if you DO use an adfly link, we request that you ALSO give a direct download link for those who do not choose to use adfly.

When I download mods/texturepacks/etc, I ALWAYS use the adfly link. It's not much, but I'm hoping it can help. I am probably one of the few people who also donates to modders that I really enjoy. But then, I'm an adult and I have a credit card. It makes it a lot easier to do that.
5urface
06/03/2012 8:59 pm
How so?
DontAdaptMe
06/03/2012 8:57 pm
@5urface you scare me...
5urface
06/03/2012 8:56 pm
@ Aegis

Don't you know that most Americans don't know that there is a world beyond the borders of their sometimes quite embarrassing country?
Or Oxford English that is different from the American slang?

Anonymous1432 clearly is one of them
AlexTheCoder
06/03/2012 9:17 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
You are a racist pig. I am actually half british.
Aegis_Keeper
06/03/2012 9:03 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Dragon
I know, quite sad really. I wish that they realise they should stop trying to correct other "sub-languages",really irritating. Just to annoy him further: Favourite, Colour, Labour and Harbour (sorry just needed to get him off his little pedestal)
AlexTheCoder
06/03/2012 9:18 pm
"My little pedestal". Who the **** do you think you are?
5urface
06/03/2012 9:11 pm
Also I think there is no need to correct anybody's writing unless there are many severe spelling mistakes. And even then... they might be foreign and speak english as a second or even third language (like me). Maybe they are offended and never return to an english speaking community which could be quite a loss.

And this goes to the average American: How many languages do YOU speak to have the right to correct anybody? And I am talking about actually being able to communicate in that language. Donde esta el gato doesn't count -.-

America why are you so ignorant?
Aegis_Keeper
06/03/2012 9:17 pm
True indeed. Oh well, let's get off this topic of conversation before we get a wave of ignorant Americans (I don't hate all Americans, just the ignorant ones) trying to annoy the crap out of us.
Aegis_Keeper
06/03/2012 8:49 pm
Anonymous1432
XamboldoreDude, that's what Google does. Do you not know that when it recognizes common searches, it's actually going inside your computer?
Thats actually not true. Common searches are searches that are searched a lot. Google simply remembers searches you made based on your IP. Also, you misspelled recognize, I fixed it for you though. Did you not go to school or did you make a mistake and your computer is so bad it doesn't have spell check?

It is the Australian/British spelling of it, in case anyone see's in the quote; Xamboldore spells it with a Z but if you go back to the last page on Xamboldore's original post, it is an 's' this is the on I'm refering to
DontAdaptMe
06/03/2012 8:47 pm
Or this... http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/alternative-downloads

Oh and I found your grammar nazi icon...

5urface
06/03/2012 8:45 pm
Ubuntu via Filesharing? XD why don't you use THIS LINK
It is faster and safer
DontAdaptMe
06/03/2012 8:43 pm
I swear its legal!!! :p

http://i.imgur.com/hTt7v.png
5urface
06/03/2012 8:42 pm
I am in a severe need of a grammar nazi smiley XD
AlexTheCoder
06/03/2012 8:40 pm
XamboldoreDude, that's what Google does. Do you not know that when it recognizes common searches, it's actually going inside your computer?
Thats actually not true. Common searches are searches that are searched a lot. Google simply remembers searches you made based on your IP. Also, you misspelled recognize, I fixed it for you though. Did you not go to school or did you make a mistake and your computer is so bad it doesn't have spell check?
5urface
06/03/2012 8:33 pm
@ DontAdaptMe

Little hint: If you post screenshots then please do yourself a favor and blur or black out every part of the screen that is of no importance for the matter. Like your system clock time or task bar... Don't give away information about yourself so freely

I bet you are only using your torrent program for 100% legal activities =P
DontAdaptMe
06/03/2012 8:27 pm
lol I love adblock :3

http://i.imgur.com/XnMzY.png
Xamboldore
06/03/2012 8:11 pm
Level 28 : Expert Scribe
Dude, that's what Google does. Do you not know that when it recognises common searches, it's actually going inside your computer?
AlexTheCoder
06/03/2012 8:08 pm
I don't mind the fact that you have to wait 7 seconds or something, what I mind is that it checks what you have been searching. That kind of coding can be potentially dangerous. Think of it this way: You are using your computer. Then you go to download something off (Ad link removed). Then their coding enters your computer and takes information out of it. Anyone see the danger here!!!!???
DontAdaptMe
06/03/2012 8:07 pm
@5urface would using ad.fly when I reach level 20 make me a hypocrite or is it ok to have a change of heart?
5urface
06/03/2012 8:13 pm
As I said before, anyone is free to use it. Also if everone would do so there would be no more rants about how annoying it is.

And just a little hint here: the Firefox AdBlock Add-Onn is capable of blocking Ad.Fly and leaving just the redirection part
5urface
06/03/2012 8:04 pm
MinecraftFactionz

That is a stupid rule. I am only level 10 because I don't make a lot of submissions, but I am working on a huge one now that has taken me over 3 weeks, and its 25% done. Does this mean I should wait until i'm level 20 to even release it?

Well I suppose that is up to you, I was lucky enough to reach level 20 just the day before releasing Urbancraft.
MinecraftFactionz
06/03/2012 7:57 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Architect
5urfaceOh and the reason you can't use it is your level. Users below level 20 that haven't contributet to the community a lot yet are not allowed to use ad.fly.
Which I think is also good to prevent those who just want the money and don't plan on submitting quality work from doing that here.

That is a stupid rule. I am only level 10 because I don't make a lot of submissions, but I am working on a huge one now that has taken me over 3 weeks, and its 25% done. Does this mean I should wait until i'm level 20 to even release it?
Major Callum A
06/03/2012 7:57 pm
Level 27 : Expert Droid
DontAdaptMe
Baconlover25So you want the mod creators to get nothing in return for making mods that many people download?

I think that users should have the option to opt-out. Like some creators do this...

Example download

Download [ad.fly]
Direct link [mediafire/whatever site]

AYCStudiosIf people didn't use Adf.ly No one would have a point in making a mod/texture pack They would just lose all motivation and stop making it... People could donate but the creators know that they will get something everytime and they woulden't ask for people to donate

WOW...

I'm making a map right now and it is 10% done. I have never thought about proffiting from it... if you simply want to make money off of this site then that is very very sad... I make creations so people can enjoy them and have fun with them NOT to get money...

I thoroughly agree, All maps I've made is purely so people can enjoy them and say "Hey look, That guys actually doing something because he finds it fun, Lets go download his stuff" I don't care for making money or any sort of return but kind words to encourage me to make my next project.
Major Callum A
06/03/2012 7:56 pm
Level 27 : Expert Droid
DontAdaptMe
Baconlover25So you want the mod creators to get nothing in return for making mods that many people download?

I think that users should have the option to opt-out. Like some creators do this...

Example download

Download [ad.fly]
Direct link [mediafire/whatever site]

AYCStudiosIf people didn't use Adf.ly No one would have a point in making a mod/texture pack They would just lose all motivation and stop making it... People could donate but the creators know that they will get something everytime and they woulden't ask for people to donate

WOW...

I'm making a map right now and it is 10% done. I have never thought about proffiting from it... if you simply want to make money off of this site then that is very very sad... I make creations so people can enjoy them and have fun with them NOT to get money...

I thoroughly agree, All maps I've made is purely so people can enjoy them and say "Hey look, That guys actually doing something because he finds it fun, Lets go download his stuff" I don't care for making money or any sort of return but kind words to encourage me to make my next project.
MinecraftFactionz
06/03/2012 7:54 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Architect
You can't wait a whole 5 seconds to download something...?
I don't see it as a problem. It's a way for them to make money without begging for donations. If they work hard, they should be rewarded.
DontAdaptMe
06/03/2012 7:52 pm
Well shouldn't all creators be treated equally?!

AYCStudiosTry making a texture pack or a mod Not a map

So according to AYCStudios because I don't make texture packs I am not as good?! wtf...
Xamboldore
06/03/2012 7:50 pm
This.
5urface
06/03/2012 7:48 pm
*Warning Rant*

The lack of respect that some people show here is disturbing. You guys should really consider just giving 5 seconds of your spare time if you want to download something that the creator worked hours, days, if not even weeks or months on. It's not like you would have to pay for it or anything. It is 5 seconds. After all YOU want to download something so either give a little time and appreciation or move on.
I think Ad.Fly is a great way to combine having fun with minecraft, creating amazing stuff and actually getting something back from the community. And if people create minecraft content to get money that's also fine with me but then they either have to create something really awesome to get actual money out of ad.fly (which is good for the community) or if they create crappy stuff they won't get any money.

I myself also use Ad.Fly. I didn't initially plan on doing so but why shouldn't I also use it? Anybody can and should.

Oh and the reason you can't use it is your level. Users below level 20 that haven't contributet to the community a lot yet are not allowed to use ad.fly.
Which I think is also good to prevent those who just want the money and don't plan on submitting quality work from doing that here.

*rant over*
DontAdaptMe
06/03/2012 7:33 pm
AYCStudiosTry making a texture pack or a mod Not a map

So you think you're better than me because I am making a map (instead of a texture pack/mod.)?
AYCStudios
06/03/2012 7:30 pm
Level 43 : Master Toast

WOW...

Try making a texture pack or a mod Not a map
Xamboldore
06/03/2012 7:27 pm
Good, and it was at Antvenom, I posted the reply but you beat me.
DontAdaptMe
06/03/2012 7:26 pm
Xamboldore*Sigh* Why are you trying to debate on a topic you don't know about?

They get money from the hosters. Basically:

You upload your .zip on Adf.ly. Advertisements pay Adf.ly to be shown on the site. Adf.ly pay the uploaders after 10,000 people view the .zip. That's how.

@DontAdaptMe
Then why don't you change your arguments.

Was the part I put in red at me or at AntVenom99?

I though i just did... 0.o - I do not really like ad.fly but I suppose I can cope with it in a better way .

Xamboldore
06/03/2012 7:19 pm
*Sigh* Why are you trying to debate on a topic you don't know about?

They get money from the hosters. Basically:

You upload your .zip on Adf.ly. Advertisements pay Adf.ly to be shown on the site. Adf.ly pay the uploaders after 10,000 people view the .zip. That's how.

@DontAdaptMe
Then why don't you change your arguments.
Wipotazi
06/03/2012 7:12 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Dragon
It can be slightly annoying but it's neat how the creators get money if it's successful.
Pinkie_Pie12570
06/03/2012 7:11 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Warrior
I, have no problem with ad(Period)fly

I only dislike how it uses what you search on your computer... There's some bad stuff.... Such as hitler murderers or something like that for playing Aqworlds ((I dislike that game now))

Basically, it should be filtered I might not even care about it then
sed11
06/03/2012 7:07 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Hero
I don't care if a download goes to ad.fly first or not.Its not like its taking our money.The person who uses ad.fly and puts the download through an ad.fly link they get money when people download something after going through the ad and no money is taken from anyone they just get money that way.And you only have to wait for 5 seconds.

Though I guess they could somehow be making money off of something they made for a game they didn't make.
AntVenom99
06/03/2012 7:04 pm
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn
And it costs money to go on adfly?
TNTRULES250
06/03/2012 8:03 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Skinner
Duh. No. Everytime a person visits a site hidden by ad.fly, the owner of the hidden site recieves money from Ad.fly.
DontAdaptMe
06/03/2012 7:01 pm
@Xamboldore No... I do not want to make money off of what I make and upload here... If you make things for Minecraft with the sole intention of making money then that is sad.

@silverninjastar there is no monthly cost to play Minecraft. The site here is free to register and upload on - so what fees are there?! other than paying for internet and electricity...
Xamboldore
06/03/2012 7:11 pm
I did not say that. Adf.ly is a way of support and motivation. All your points emphasise unbelievable impatience. All of our points emphasise importance of support and giving back to people who give to us.

Adf.ly is FREE. It doesn't cost anything.
AntVenom99
06/03/2012 7:14 pm
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn
Then how do they get money???
DontAdaptMe
06/03/2012 7:15 pm
When you click on the link an ad is displayed for 5 seconds and then it re-directs you to the download link.

Xamboldore
DontAdaptMeI did not say that. Adf.ly is a way of support and motivation. All your points emphasise unbelievable impatience. All of our points emphasise importance of support and giving back to people who give to us.

I've been around since dial up where I had to wait 30 minutes plus to see one page... I will admit now that internet is very fast :3 I've become used to not having to wait. I guess that I can put up with ad.fly...
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome