※ Calling All Skinners ‖ How does one do the top side of the head of skins?

Cirxett's Avatar Cirxett10/1/22 12:12 am
10/1/2022 5:39 pm
CosmoX45's Avatar CosmoX45
I'm having a existential crisis with my skinning style specifically the hair on the top of thy head, HELP

Bonus Question: How does one stay consistent with shading styles?

Art thou not ask thy why I use olde english, Tis is the day when thy spooky month starts

[​Also I post this on general cuz the skinning forum got less traffic and I want a range of opinions/answers]
Cirxett
Level 47 : Master Gent

Create an account or sign in to comment.

PsioPsia001
10/01/2022 8:19 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Ranger
This is how I do it:

I shade the forehead and the darker line reaches the top side. Later I make a shape like this with lighter colors
I use the same colors as on other sides and usually it's pretty consistent.

But this shading is very simple
CosmoX45
10/01/2022 5:39 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Taco
Its not
Nighthearted
10/01/2022 12:44 am
Level 72 : Legendary Pixel Painter
I always think of what the hair would look like in real life. It helps to divide the hair into sections--front, middle, and back. Think of where the hair originates from, and how it flows outwards from that point. Is it a middle part? A side part? A central cowlick? This will depend on the character you are creating. Once you have an idea of what shape the hair takes, define light and shadow accordingly. These drawing tutorials illustrate what I am talking about.

Cirxett
10/01/2022 12:49 am
Level 47 : Master Gent
How does one define light and shadow?

I'm nocturnal. I never leave and see the sun, However. I do touch grass
Nighthearted
10/01/2022 4:39 am
Level 72 : Legendary Pixel Painter
Shadows go where the form of the hair blocks light, for example in the crevices between strands. In art terms, this is called ambient occlusion. When you places down dark pixels in a line, that's what it represents. The boundaries between the colored sections in the second image are a good place to put them.

Shadows can also be placed on the underside of the head, which represent a cast shadow.

Lighter colors go where light would illuminate the form. Save the very lightest color for specular highlights, which typically go in a broken ring around the head like a crown.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome