Debate #1 - Do School's Have The Right To Search Lockers?

SourC00kie's Avatar SourC00kie12/22/11 3:12 pm
1 emeralds 1.2k 79
12/24/2011 11:38 am
Hawkken's Avatar Hawkken
I thought I would add some fun to the forums by having a daily if not weekly debate topic.

The first one I chose to do was, do school's have the rights to search student's lockers?

I say yes. The lockers are on school property and usually teachers/administrators only search lockers if they feel that something is wrong with it. It helps with the safety of the students and to insure nothing is wrong on school grounds.

Post your answers and then describe why you chose it. At the end of the day, or week, I will tally up the amount of yes's and no's, and say which side won.

Again, this is just a fun debate topic, no need for any types of flaming based off of a user's opinion.
SourC00kie
Retired Moderator
Level 45 : Master Blob

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/22/2011 3:17 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Crafter
Jackanation
Well i agree with it.
My School has had a kid with a gun. It's a good idea to catch little pricks who do things like this. OOH LOOKY HERE I BROUGHT A WALTHER I'M NUMBER 1 POPUL00R! Actually you just got yourself expelled.
12/22/2011 3:21 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Miner
heartshapedBox
A great explanation.
12/22/2011 3:20 pm
heartshapedBox
I agree with both of Jack and Sour. They should be able to search lockers. I mean, if it was a kid trying to steal something, and I was a teacher, I would tell their parents and hope for juvenile detention. So I say yes, let the teachers search your locker.
12/22/2011 3:23 pm
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Hero
Jackie1st
yeah the locker is the schools property
you really shouldn't keep anything in there that you don't want to be found

though my school can also search the cars of people who have parking permits
and drug test people who play sports, park on campus or have an off campus permission slip
12/22/2011 3:23 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Dragon
happygolucky1
I agree.
12/22/2011 3:28 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Egyptian
Sumpumpolis
i agree as well.... i wonder how much of a debate this topic will be
12/22/2011 3:32 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
12/22/2011 3:35 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Engineer
Hokuikekai
I believe it would be stupid if school officials weren't allowed to search lockers. What would they do if they knew a student had a gun or a knife and they could not try and find it because of a privacy policy?

"Attention all students. Please keep your weapons in your lockers because we can't do anything about them there."

If there was no fear of being caught as long as it was in your locker then how many more students would not mind trying to smuggle things in that they shouldn't?

I never minded it when i was in school. No reason to mind it unless you have something to hide you know?

I totally agree with the original poster!
12/22/2011 3:38 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
kvSketch
Well the First Amendment states...
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

If we are talking about your house, no they cannot randomly search it, without a warrant, or other things that I don't feel like describing. But if it is a public place they can search it, so a locker they can search. But, they cannot go through your backpack, purse, and etc... Without a good reasoning or without a warrant. So...Yes, schools do have a right to go through students lockers. Just not personal belongings like purses, and backpacks.
12/22/2011 3:39 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Turtle
Palaeos
Yes, they have the right to searching lockers as its on their property and by using their lockers you acknowledge that, mostly its ok due to safety matters.
12/22/2011 3:45 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Miner
RedParadoxin
Lockers, man who needs lockers when you've got...

COAT PEGS!

12/22/2011 3:49 pm
Level 43 : Master Elf
Elmodag
they need a warrant to search anything
12/22/2011 3:51 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Miner
RedParadoxin
Uh, no they don't?
12/22/2011 3:52 pm
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Hero
Jackie1st
Alot of times schools have you sign something at the beginning of the year to search things like your car or to drug test you ect.

but the locker is owned by the school so they don't need a warrant
12/22/2011 3:53 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
null-
Public schools have the right to search everything but your person. A public school is run by the government, so both the school and the police (also run by the government) can basically do whatever they want to the lockers that THEY are renting out to YOU.
12/22/2011 3:54 pm
Steroid
"Hey guys look at my trench knife!"

"Tonight on the clock, news a young boy has murdered 3 of his fellow students..."

Thats why...
12/22/2011 3:55 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Goblin
Hawkken
depends which county your in. In america they need a warrant-per-locker so no, but in Communist Britain they will do it anyway, regardless.
in my opinion, no they should be allowed to search.Imean, everyone has the right to privacy, especially in school

p.s the government suck as they do the opposite of what the public want (atleast, in britain they do)
12/22/2011 3:56 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Network
MissMarifire
Yes, for that the middle school I go to there is this one kid who has done lots of stupid stuff, and he has stolen money from students by cracking their locker code via stealing their planners.

but at the exact same time I kinda disagree. If you were to/have a boyfriend/girlfriend and you love them so much that there is a picture that says "blah blah i love so and so xoxoxoxoxox", it would be kinda embarrasing for a guy teach to find that out (and maybe make fun of you, but not in a hurting way, in a joking way)
12/23/2011 2:15 pm
Level 40 : Master Demolitionist
gooberboy11
Ya that would be embarrasing
12/22/2011 3:56 pm
Level 22 : Expert Demolitionist
P0CKETLINT13
Of course the have the right. If teachers suspect you're acting weird or differently, they WILL search your locker for drugs. As many others have said, since the lockers are on school property, they have the right to look through them. The lockers are owned by the school, the school bought them for the students to use.
12/22/2011 3:57 pm
null-
Hawkkendepends which county your in. In america they need a warrant-per-locker so no.

No they dont. And even if they did, it is common to sign a form out at the beginning of the year that basically automatically makes you agree to random searches.
12/22/2011 3:58 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Necromancer
Tairan
Meh, we don't have lockers at our school. But if they have evidence that the student might have something deadly or illegal then yeah they should be able to.
12/22/2011 3:58 pm
Level 22 : Expert Demolitionist
P0CKETLINT13
MissMarifire"blah blah i love so and so xoxoxoxoxox", it would be kinda embarrasing for a guy teach to find that out (and maybe make fun of you, but not in a hurting way, in a joking way)

A teacher would never do that. That would possibly make the student become depressed, and possibly get the teacher fired.
12/22/2011 4:01 pm
Level 29 : Expert Crafter
iHazRabiez
I say yes to the lockers. But if there is a backpack or a satchel, or a bag of some sort, they have no right to look through it, you need a warrant or the persons consent to look through it.
12/22/2011 4:06 pm
heartshapedBox
Another thing; Say a student from last year left a BUNCH of bad things in his locker, and the next year, you get assigned to that locker. The teacher/principal has no idea what's in there. And you are too scared to show the teacher/principal what is in there. And then one day your best friend goes into your locker to get the math book for you, and he sees drugs, pistols, gasoline tanks, and maybe even a lighter with a pack of cigarettes, and he/she tells the teacher. The teacher expels you, not the guy/girl from last year. It's your fault, you didn't tell the teacher. Now think, if your friend didn't tell on you, that bad kid could have came back. So suppose he does, and he knows the combination on your locker, and grabs all his stuff and kills a bunch of kids. Now what really will happen since your friend told, is the kid comes back, all armored up, and the teacher/principal knows automatically it wasn't you. **(THE GAME OF LIFE)**
12/22/2011 4:09 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Spider Rider
nnana
Yes. It's their property. ._. I didn't even know there was a debate about it.
12/22/2011 4:10 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Network
Jack_Keeley
I Just Agree.
12/22/2011 4:25 pm
Level 24 : Expert Architect
deatheos222
OK the locker is school property so they do have the right to search there own property and in the first place just dont bring illegal stuff to shool.
12/22/2011 4:27 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Toast
SoulStealer
Yes but they only search if they think you have something you shouldn't have in there.
12/22/2011 4:27 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
Kakashi101
They have no right to take my can's of coke out of my locker >:(
12/22/2011 4:30 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Toast
SoulStealer
Lol , At my school they can only search if they suspect something illegal.
12/22/2011 4:31 pm
Level 24 : Expert Architect
deatheos222
ya some fat chick who helps speacil ed kids took my coke can sayed we cant have them at school then sat at the table across from me and drank it
12/22/2011 4:42 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
12/22/2011 4:45 pm
heartshapedBox
It's not just your school o_o.
12/22/2011 4:46 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Mountaineer
BusyChris
Well if you got nothing to hide then what's the problem?
But a little problem about this happened to me a couple weeks ago...
They were looking for this girls locker when i was getting stuff out of mine then they asked me if i could describe them, i did. So then I'm walking back to class with my backpack (school was almost over). then i need a drink from the fountain, look back up and there searching through MY locker, just to make things less awkward i left for class fast. But in my opinion that's when it's not alright to search through lockers. Otherwise there's not much of a problem.
12/22/2011 4:49 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Demolitionist
EvilBiscuit
In my school, we don't even have lockers, which really sucks, you have to carry everything around withyou all day, and on PE days (physical education/gymnastics) the bag is twice as heavy, not cool.

But, I think that the teacher should have the rights to look in others lockers, afterall they are renting, not giving it to you and it improves school safety ,if they suspect something i guess they can look in your locker with a valid excuse of doing so, i wonder wat wud happen if some teacher got cought looking around peoples lockers at brake cause he was 'bored'
12/24/2011 11:38 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Goblin
Hawkken
same, only seniors get lockers (S5-6)
12/22/2011 4:52 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Dolphin
sparpvp
^^^ Same ^^^
12/22/2011 5:01 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Toast
quackers224
They have the right to search student's lockers, as previously stated, it is their property, so they have the right to search lockers.

Also, one time in school someone brought a bag of parsley and told everyone it was drugs, The school police officer arrested him, and he got expelled,
12/22/2011 5:12 pm
Level 28 : Expert Dragonborn
KCUROV
ConquerSchools should be able to search lockers.
It's on school property and students hide loads of illegal stuff in there.
(my quick answer =P)

Agreed.
12/22/2011 5:17 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Musician
Team_Subspace
For me, this could go either way. let me express both sides:

YES: Well first of all, if you come from a school like my old middle school, there's always the suspicion that there's drugs/knives/etc... I mean, a kid was stabbed once according the the deputy (not sure if she still works there, as it's been a few years since I went there). Would you want to feel safe at school or have to worry about possibly being in danger because of a kid who decides to snap, then hide the weapon in his/her locker.

NO: Well first of all, it's an invasion of property. Secondly, say, for example there's nothing wrong, then a kid lies and says somebody stole something that belongs to them (has happened plenty of times) and is like "IDUNNO GUISE, METHINKS HE STOLED IT HERP HERP" and points at the innocent kid. Now not only is there false suspicion, but now the whole gym class is held in the locker room, making you tardy to class (and if you go to a school like mine, they don't take anything, two tardies and you get in-school suspension) and in the end, it would be a useless search for something that probably wasn't allowed at school in the first place (like iPods at mine). This also relates back to point #1 - well what if an iPod is claimed to be stolen and one IS found in the suspect's locker, bit it actually belongs to said suspect?

Just take those into consideration, I really can't take a side on this one xD
12/22/2011 5:18 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Pokemon
gmng24
I don't think schools should be allowed to search lockers, everyone has a right to privacy. But my school brought in drug sniffing dogs the other day, in my opinion that is ok.
12/22/2011 9:45 pm
heartshapedBox
Did the dogs look scary?
12/22/2011 9:53 pm
Level 49 : Master uwu
Jack
The school owns the lockers, you want a locker, you should expect a random inspection at any point in your school life.

if you don't want something to be found, don't take it to school or keep it on your persons (yourself) and then it won't be found by a locker search.

I for one fully agree that schools should have the right to search lockers if they feel the need to do so. They would do this to ensure the safety and well being of all the students at the school, all you who have disagreed with this point, think about this (this is a tiny made up snippet):

A young man walks into school and goes to his locker, he sticks his bag inside, locks the locker and casually walks to class. When class is over he returns to his locker and knowing the school cannot search his locker, he knew the weapon would still be safe and concealed, so he pulled out the gun and turned facing a hall full of students and what happened next is too graphic to tell.

So all those who disagreed, read that and tell me if it made you think twice about your decision?
12/22/2011 10:13 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
XxkgorxX99
No
12/22/2011 10:13 pm
Level 20 : Expert Pirate
Bleyd
As just about everyone already said, the staff at a school has the right to search something that is on their property at any time, especially if they suspect the presence of weapons or contraband. If kids want privacy, they can keep their private possessions at home instead of storing them in a public place under someone else's jurisdiction.

That being said, this topic is incredibly weak - practically everybody already knows the answer before they finish reading the first post. Bring more daring ones next time that actually propose a challenge to the reader's mind, making them compare other viewpoints and question their own ethics. Correct your use of apostrophes as well.
12/22/2011 10:31 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Pixel Puncher
Creeper Hugs U
I live in Australia and we just carry everything in our bags. My school is kinda derro and it got mostly destroyed in Cyclone Yasi (at the start of the year). But there are alot of bad eggs in my school- a fair few of them smoke and alot drink- Some students have drugs in their bags and some have knifes sometimes.....
But they never get caught except for the very rare occasion that someone does get caught for something EVERYONE and i mean everyone knows about it within less than an hour ( considereing its only a school of around 500 :/ )
But still in America where like some of you have said that " a kid bought a gun to school" that'd be fuggin scary!!!
12/22/2011 10:44 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Guard
esoomytefasgone
I'm going by what the cops can do here and what we are trained to know. School staff will follow similar rules under the law.

1.) They can search the locker because its their property BUT they cannot search your bag or any other closed case if it is inside the locker unless there is an item inside it in plain site.

2.) They can ask you to open the bag and search it but you do not have to comply.

3.) Your school resource officer or another police officer can search your bag if.
- They have probable cause
- Found an illegal item in the locker or around the bag itself (Ioutside open pockets)
- Permission is granted by a parent (Only for those under 16)
- A court issued warrant is provided
- You are deemed an immediate safety to risk to the people around you in the school (Related to the first point)

4.) if a school says you signed something giving them access to your bags, unless your parents also signed this, your signature is not valid if you signed it under the age of 16. As anyone under 16 can not legally sign a binding contract without the witness of a parent / guardian.

5.) The school cannot conduct locker searches without a written notice to all students, parents and staff.
12/22/2011 10:57 pm
heartshapedBox
Nice to know, Moose. I guess that's why your name is SafetyMoose.
12/22/2011 10:58 pm
Level 40 : Master Dolphin
trenty43
i agree because if you have certain things in your locker like a weapon of some kind the office should know about it, because it could endanger the life of another student or teacher.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome