badrobot's Avatar badrobot2/12/20 2:32 am
3 emeralds 197 4
2/16/2020 12:17 pm
badrobot's Avatar badrobot
This will be a followup of

Admin Abuse
and
Admin Stalkers

Today I wish to point to the fallout when stalkers and bad admins get there way on a Minecraft server.

Again I can only draw on my own experiences and that of my family and close friends.

The first situation was a stalker with many accounts and was able to get Admin perks fast for whatever reason.
I am sure that any Owner is aware that this is a reality and that things can go bad fast. Especially when you run
a family friendly server.

Most servers are dependant on donations and the cost to run such a server is real and can become expensive
fast. So if the Owner is making money on the server it is only fair to the players that their protection should be
taken seriously.

This means if a player wants to report something bad to the Owner, that the player should be able to contact
the owner via message or email. Running a chat log is also needed sadly. But Owners should really take note
if a bad player wants to push other players to private chat outside the server that alone should be a red light.

Normally Owners have their own websites and normally the players register on it. This will give them access
to email accounts and can be used to create awareness if such a bad player is spotted.

For the adult or responsible person, it is our responsibility to look for those emails and make sure we know
what is happening when it is happening. We have to be proactive and make sure we also take responsibility
and know who our dependants are talking to.

Secondly I feel players should start to contact Mojang and ask that we should have access to a one time
account reset that will change the account's permanent ID. This will go a long way to keep players safe and
will be cost effective as an account for some is a real expense.

More importantly teach players how to take screenshots, believe it or not, there are players that did not know
how to take screenshots. Also learn how to record voice chats on the computer. Try to collect as much data
as you can as this will go a long way.

Now for the fallout section.

I hate to write about this because this part is scary.

In two situations a young player was targeted. This player sadly shared some info thinking it was a friend.
In this case, we had to change phone numbers close down social accounts and get a new Minecraft
account. Thankfully the player took the precaution when creating social media accounts to leave out
physical address. The player also didn't use their full name on their social accounts. So this time around
it was easy to pull the plug on it all. Thankfully so.

The second situation was just an admin bully. But the fallout was a bit worse. The player wasn't targeted
as the player didn't share any info with this Admin but lost interest in the game itself. With it was robbed
of the enjoyment it had to offer. Also it created a massive mistrust and i doubt that that can be repaired.
The Owner did take some action "eventually" but who knows how many other players was lost and the
community will be poorer for it.

As mentioned in the other posts that are link above. When you are targeted it is best to pull the plug on the
game/account. Yes i know it is expensive to do but that identifier will make it possible for the stalker to find
you again. Try not to mention age or gender when asked. This should be a red light. Play with a neutral
skin if possible. Stay away from private chats as far as possible. Even when the admin insist rather go to the
owner if you feel the owner can be trusted. A friend is not a friend when they want to isolate you remember
this as it is true warning sign.

When you have young people playing the game, make sure you check on them and check who is talking to
them. It is so important to keep an eye on them. Show them how to take screenshots of chats.

Never hand out Social accounts, phone numbers that contain private or identifiable info. Staying anonymous
is your best weapon. If needed ask your provider to change your IP this will go a long way. "if needed"

Sadly most servers don't allow for VPNs and I feel this is a bad thing. Yes a VPN can be used by a bad person
to mess with the server. But that said a VPN can be a good thing for a player that wants to keep themselves safe
Sadly a VPN does not protect against the personal identifier of the account itself. This is very important to know.

I say again a VPN WILL NOT PROTECT YOU ON A MINECRAFT SERVER. The identifier remains visible regardless.

I Googled most of the stuff but please correct me as this is about safety.

i am sure you have lots you can add to this, please do and lets
help keep our community safe

thank you for reading.
badrobot
Level 1 : New Miner