How to speed up my computer?

MasterofXD's Avatar MasterofXD6/12/11 5:21 pm
6/23/2011 3:04 am
lyssa's Avatar lyssa
Lately my computer has been really slow, from minecraft to league of legends, to my youtube videos, everything is slower and laggier. My ping in League of legends for example used to be 48 (really good, barely any lag, almost none) and I just played a few minutes ago and it was spiking from 258-532 every few seconds. It was annoying. I think maybe it's because I downloaded Shin Megami Tensei Imagine Online? If it is, should I just delete it? I also deleted my old games I don't need anymore (remove programs), but it didnt speed up either (same day it slowed down). Should I just defrag/disk cleanup?
MasterofXD
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/23/2011 3:04 am
Level 1 : New Miner
lyssa
You may visit on 24seven Pccare, it provides really useful tips to speed up your PC. So use it, may be it's helpful to you.
06/23/2011 2:13 am
Level 29 : Expert Artist
WubbaDuckii
I can recommend "Seqoiaview". It scans your hard drive(s) and shows you whats on there, and what is taking up space. It's very useful; it represents the information in a square-tiled pattern.

I understand that the issue is a ping issue, but if it is also laggy, then try it out.
06/23/2011 1:35 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Wizard
Zaralith
That is a new one for me. file-hippo is your friend, and so is Secunia for the PSI
06/23/2011 1:18 am
Level 30 : Artisan Mountaineer
GrizzlyAmish
Piriform
The tools are awesome stuff.
I also use Speccy to check my temps since I have had overheating issues in the past.
06/23/2011 1:12 am
Level 97 : Overlord Terraformer
inHaze
I've noticed my computers performance has slowed a bit recently also and was wondering of some cleaning programs. I've heard of spybot but not of the other two, I'll have to try them out and see if it helps. Thanks for the tips!
06/23/2011 12:59 am
Level 30 : Artisan Mountaineer
GrizzlyAmish
Piriform is my favorite company!
Love using CCleaner and Defragler.
CCleaner deletes temporary internet files as well, so you should be alright with the default settings.
And be sure to defrags of your hard drive every month. It will help out a lot.

Spybot is an amazing lil program Smink, I think you'll like it a lot.
06/23/2011 12:36 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Wizard
Zaralith
Run something like CCleaner and Defragler. Run them in that order, and repeat running defragler until you are not getting much change. Also run spybot to check for spyware and other junk, and delete all of your temp internet files periodically. Nice little goody to play with (for windows) is windirstat to see a visual of your file structure by size. Make sure that you enable unknown and blank space though so you don't freak out. Unknown is usually system restore points. Also, run a registry cleaner (CCleaner can do this) to get rid of junk left over from when you do uninstalls. Think that is all of my non-hardware change related advice. If it becomes un-bearable, backup files and reinstall windows after reformatting.
06/23/2011 12:54 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Pegasus
Smink
im testing out that spybot thing now lets ^.^
06/19/2011 2:42 pm
Level 42 : Master Lad
rageman96
More RAM, a disc defragment, or just uninstall some stuff, and try not to put to many games on it
06/17/2011 11:29 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Toast
SoulStealer
New Graphics card will do the trick .. More RAM.
06/17/2011 10:52 am
Level 26 : Expert Miner
Excision
Mhhh, To make it faster i suggest putting a motor on it and attach wheels to it
06/17/2011 11:17 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
_Beta
You sir, are a genius.
06/14/2011 8:19 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Witch
mommaCarole
also, get a GOOD virus/malware checker (I like avast! it's free) and do a boot-level scan. if your system's being hijacked by a virus, it can account for the crappy pings. Also, check the physical connections of your cables (if you're using them.) If you're wireless, check and see if there are any appliances that could be emitting radio frequencies near your computer.
06/14/2011 7:41 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Pegasus
Smink
Still it cant hurt to do a overnight- Defragment/disc cleanup
06/14/2011 6:44 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Architect
Poisonous_Substance
For Internet usage: Get better internet
For Offline usage: Overclock the computer, don't know what it is? Google it
06/12/2011 5:43 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Keonyn
Well, is what you're experience actual connection lag with your ping or is the computers performance itself running choppy? These are generally two completely unrelated issues where a high ping isn't going to make your framerate drop and programs run slower, it'll just mean the information you receive will be behind what everyone else receives. While your computer running slowly and choppy generally won't effect your actual ping either. One is related to the quality of your connection and the other is related to your hardware and software itself.

Just downloading and installing a game isn't really going to effect either of these either since a game isn't going to be running constantly and will only effect your computer and/or connection when you're actually playing it. Otherwise it's just idle inactive data on your drive like any document or picture you might have on there. The only way a game or other installed software is going to have this kind of effect is if it's running all the time for some reason whether you're using/playing it or not, or if a virus/malware came along for the ride.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome