Math Question

MrCreeperXD's Avatar MrCreeperXD11/18/13 5:38 pm
11/21/2013 2:54 pm
Leeberator's Avatar Leeberator
I was at a math competition and they gave me this question, the competition is over and i earned 5th place but they never gave us the answers. Not even the math teachers at my school could figure this one out and since this is a general discussion forum, I guess its better to have hundreds of people working on it. So here it is:

It is a sequence, and "x" represents a value. What is the value of x?
(The sequence) 9, 5, 2, 4, x, 24, 35, 37 ...

To whoever figures this out, I will make them a free minecraft skin of their choice.
Hope you guys can help
MrCreeperXD
Level 20 : Expert Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/20/2013 10:29 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
mineempire
Hello, I would believe it to be 11, if you do various subtractions and additions of the numbers that are listed you get 11,
9, 5, 2, 4, x, 24, 35, 37
9 + 2 = 11
5 + 4 + 2 = 11
35 - 24 = 11
37 - 2 - 24 = 11
24 - 9 - 4 = 11
The list keeps going.
11/21/2013 2:54 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
That's an interesting trick, but unfortunately a series or sequence has a set rule, not one that changes.

Plotting the points with a quartic (4th-power) polynomial yields 12 as the answer, so you were close in your guess.
11/19/2013 11:04 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Prince
MayuriYandere
so we found out the answer but had a pointless argument just because?

yup sounds good
11/20/2013 7:40 pm
Leeberator
Welcome to Planet Minecraft, where we can all agree on an answer and still end up debating over it.

Not sure if that's something to laugh at, or something to be disappointed in...
11/19/2013 11:00 pm
Level 24 : Expert Taco
AlexSMDD
Sorry for such the late answer but I think I figured it out! The answer is 12!
I was messing around with my calculator and remembered how to do this with a calculator
So it is Quadratic Regression.
f(x)= -1.25x^4+1.917x^3-7.875x^2+8.083x+7
confusing right? I know

So heres how I figured it out

1- List #s convert them to coordinate points.
2- Put in stat function, ( don't type (5,x) because we don't know the point)
3- Under Calc do Quart Reg and store the equation in Y1
4- Check the table, make sure all the numbers match up
5- The Value for 5 shows up as 12

9 - 5 - 2 - 4 - ( 12 ) - 24 - 35 - 37
11/18/2013 11:10 pm
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Geek
OneSidedBattle
X=14
11/18/2013 10:48 pm
AlexSMDD
Wow this is a tough one.
Trying to get my brother to figure it out he's a math genius.
I'll explain it to you if he figures it out
11/18/2013 6:59 pm
MrCreeperXD
Well you guys make good arguements, IDK. Could've been a typo on the test
11/18/2013 7:04 pm
Leeberator
Yeah, that happens sometimes.

Let's hope it was a typo. Otherwise, whoever made the questions must really not like children.

Reminds me of the Maryland State Assessment way back in 3rd grade. There was no right answer to one of the questions...
11/18/2013 6:56 pm
Leeberator
Swimmer1929
Here, ladies and gentlemen is a fine example of a boaster. The boaster species tends to "boast" to others about things they are currently learning in school by attempting to mindlessly apply the material to EVERY POSSIBLE CONVERSATION. I, myself, cannot see any sort of relation between what you just stated and a simple problem that was stated by the OP. Maybe it's just me... o_O =P

Your patronization of me doesn't really help the OP. I found an answer, and he didn't understand it. So, I explained it to him, stating what I did and clarifying that the "nonsense" (which did look confusing due to the fact that you can't add superscripts in posts), was a simple 4th-degree polynomial. I then went on to agree with the OP that it's not a problem anyone could solve in the time stated and without the use of a calculator, and that the level of math used does fit the requirements.

This is a fine example of the limitations of text-based communication. You misinterpreted my tone because I can't really show it using text, and therefore took what I was saying the wrong way. There's not much you and I can do about that, but, well, it happens.
11/18/2013 6:47 pm
Level 40 : Master Taco
Swimmer1929
TheShadbusher
Xx_CR33P3R_xX12
While I honestly do not understand that nonsense and its probably correct, I believe there is a simpler answer seeing as that we only had roughly 1 min per question and calculators were not allowed.

It was bound to be a regression of some sort, and, going through all sorts of regressions (quadratic, sinusoidal, logarithmic, etc.), that is the only one that fit. The R^2 value was exactly 1 (the closer R^2 is to 1 or -1, the more accurately the function fits to the data points).

It's just a simple quartic expression, calculated with a graphing calculator. However, it's not simple enough to be solved in a minute or two and without a calculator, unless you know exactly which regression to use.

That's Algebra II-level math.

Here, ladies and gentlemen is a fine example of a boaster. The boaster species tends to "boast" to others about things they are currently learning in school by attempting to mindlessly apply the material to EVERY POSSIBLE CONVERSATION. I, myself, cannot see any sort of relation between what you just stated and a simple problem that was stated by the OP. Maybe it's just me... o_O =P
11/18/2013 6:43 pm
Leeberator
Xx_CR33P3R_xX12
My point exactly, even though it is Algebra 2, Definitely not solvable (like you said) without a calculator in approximately 1 min

I highly doubt that there's a simpler rule to the series/sequence, though. If there is, it wouldn't be a rule you could find in a minute or two without a calculator. The numbers in the series/sequence vary too much for the problem to be solvable in the allotted time.
11/18/2013 6:40 pm
MrCreeperXD
TheShadbusher
Xx_CR33P3R_xX12
While I honestly do not understand that nonsense and its probably correct, I believe there is a simpler answer seeing as that we only had roughly 1 min per question and calculators were not allowed.

It was bound to be a regression of some sort, and, going through all sorts of regressions (quadratic, sinusoidal, logarithmic, etc.), that is the only one that fit. The R^2 value was exactly 1 (the closer R^2 is to 1 or -1, the more accurately the function fits to the data points).

It's just a simple quartic expression, calculated with a graphing calculator. However, it's not simple enough to be solved in a minute or two and without a calculator, unless you know exactly which regression to use.

My point exactly, even though it is Algebra 2, Definitely not solvable (like you said) without a calculator in approximately 1 min
11/18/2013 6:33 pm
Leeberator
Xx_CR33P3R_xX12

11/18/2013 6:18 pm
Leeberator
Update: The list of numbers can be represented by a quartic expression, whose function is approximately:

-.125x^4 + 1.916x^3 - 7.875x^2 + 8.083x + 7

And, with that, the value of x is 12.
11/19/2013 11:04 pm
AlexSMDD
You are right with this answer because this is the same thing I got.
I typed out the steps to how I got this answer and such too, but yes you are right.
11/18/2013 6:25 pm
MrCreeperXD

Summary of last paragraph: Don't over-think it. Try simple random things
11/18/2013 6:07 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Hunter
Ciberg
Hrm.. this is a hard one.. I have no idea, it seems 8 or 6 seem logical to me..
11/18/2013 6:13 pm
MrCreeperXD
My guesses were 6, 8, and 12 but there's no context we can compare that to, that can confirm its correct. I literally just came up with those numbers because my head hurt after staring at it for 10 mins and they were in the same range of numbers. But really, you never know.
11/18/2013 6:00 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
Articuno_Articulates
These are my guesses: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,or 24.
11/18/2013 6:06 pm
MrCreeperXD
I dont even know what to say.
11/18/2013 5:43 pm
MrCreeperXD
Also, if you do figure it out. Make sure to explain yourself, so I don't look like an idiot trying to plug in an answer where it doesn't belong. Answers without explanation will be checked and deleted if wrong.

Some extra info: This question should not be harder than Algebra 2/Geometry so don't try anything having to do with higher levels of math (Such as statistics or Calculus).

If I do end up finding the answer, I'll post it with explanation
11/18/2013 5:54 pm
Leeberator
Hmm, so much for trying to apply Calc-style sequence and series methods...

Maybe I'm overthinking it...
11/18/2013 6:05 pm
MrCreeperXD
Lol, im not trying to make anyone's head explode.
11/18/2013 5:42 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
Aman671
these are guess: 8 or 18

im good at math but gosshh
this is hard.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome