Should I get a pet axolotl in real life?

Kypickle's Avatar Kypickle8/7/21 7:11 am
8/11/2021 1:12 pm
Kypickle's Avatar Kypickle
I'd figure out how to take care of it and do all the thing you'd have to do
Kypickle
Level 40 : Master Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/11/2021 1:07 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Jaylr234
they need tanks of a specific size or larger and the tank needs to be heated to a very specific temperature. i would say do some research into them and decide at a later date after you've done research.
08/11/2021 1:12 pm
Kypickle
You're right, and I have been doing research. The tank needs to have 15 gallons of water, minimum, for an adult, and the temp needs to be around 60 degrees.
08/11/2021 12:56 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
Rachell_t
sólo si usted fuera a cuidar de él dedicar tiempo y todo lo que necesita
08/11/2021 12:53 pm
Rachell_t
not since it is not for pet and there are also many more animals because an ajolote so exotic animals are in danger of extinction so no
08/11/2021 1:04 pm
Kypickle
No te preocupes, el ajolote que quieras se crió en cautiverio. No es de México, de donde son los ajolotes, y no voy a sacar a ninguno de su hábitat natural. Quien quiera nació y se crió como mascota.
Disculpe los errores, este es el traductor de Google
08/09/2021 10:15 am
SuperLifeUp
Yes! I assume you would need to learn a bit on how to take care of them first, but otherwise, I advise you should get one! I don't have one myself, but I do have A Leopard Gecko, and I really want an Axolotl as well. So I advise you get one seeing as they are adorable and, looking at a lot of other comments I read on this, they are easy to take care of, so Yeah! (Also get me one too plz TvT)
08/09/2021 9:50 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Sweetheart
Prunesgrove
Only if you have the money and real dedication to take care of them. Don't get animals you can't afford. In this case it seems like they need tanks of a certain size.

I advice that you spend a few weeks to educate yourself on them and their needs as well as consider if you can take care of them.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but it's important to know you're becoming responsible for a life. This is something many pet owners do not consider much. Animals should not be an impulse buy. I know the desire myself. I've wanted a berger blanc suisse dog for many years yet I know that at least for a few years I am not in the right situation to be able to properly take care of a dog.

Good luck in case you decide to get one, but if not remember you've got many years left of your life :)
08/09/2021 9:56 am
Kypickle
don't worry, that's not harsh, and I'm thinking the same thing. I've got the money and I know the costs and tank size, but I will do even more research to get to know this thing as much as possible.
08/09/2021 10:03 am
Prunesgrove
Thank you for considering my thoughts! I'm happy to hear you're willing to go deeper before you make that decision. Pet owners who do tend to be the ones who actually care and end up being the best for their owners.

Good luck!
08/10/2021 9:14 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Nerd
Pleasenotme
"Pet owners who do tend to be the ones who actually care and end up being the best for their owners."

I'm assuming you meant 'pets' at the end, and not owners...
08/11/2021 1:47 am
Prunesgrove
Haha, yeah. My brain is not always the quickest.
08/09/2021 9:40 am
Kypickle
Ok, I've been doing some research, they're apparently good pets for beginners (which is what I am) and only require a few hours a week on feeding, tank cleaning, etc, and you shouldn't handle them, meaning no petting. I've also read that they like wider tanks at around 60 degrees F, with places to walk on. they grow to be about 8-10 inches, and an adult should have at least a 10-gallon tank. If they're stressed, their tails will curl up a bit. They also grow pretty fast. They can recognize people, which I think is cool, and they aren't too social, so they won't need another axolotl companion. They can also regrow limbs. The tank should also have a lid, because they'll sometimes try and jump out, which is bad because even though they can breathe air, their skins needs to be moist. They don't need any special lighting, and you shouldn't use sand or gravel for the bottom of the tank because they could accidentally eat it, and that would be bad. If you get a filter on the tank, it should be a slow one, because strong currents tend to make them stressed out. You should change around 20% of the tank's water every other day if you don't have a filter at all. For a filtered tank, it's a 20% water change each week. They can be fed small shrimp and tiny bits of meat, as well as fish pellets. If they get sick, they'll usually get a lack of appetite, and they can usually get sick from a dirty tank. They are legal to have as pets for where I live.
Yes, I'm serious about this, and I'm going to make sure if I get one, it'll be happy.
08/10/2021 9:16 pm
Pleasenotme
I wonder if you could actually test that they can regrow li- nvm don't.

(that was a joke, dont cut up your pets)
08/10/2021 9:20 pm
Kypickle
They actually can regrow limbs
08/10/2021 9:33 pm
Pleasenotme
But have you actually tested it
08/10/2021 9:35 pm
Kypickle
No lol
08/09/2021 9:32 amhistory
Level 43 : Master Herobrine
B1rdz
You should get a pet axolotl, so you could take care of it instead of it dying in the sea.
I recommend getting a blue axolotl, aka Mudkip. Oh wait, Mudkips aren't real...
I would probably get a pet axolotl if I could take care of one for the next 10+ years.
08/09/2021 8:23 amhistory
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lego Builder
MJ_mcMaster
it'd be cute, but it'd feel illegal.
they are endangered species so maybe just get a fish
08/09/2021 8:57 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
HoboMaggot
No? Just because it's endangered, doesnt mean its not kept as a pet, especially since its native habitat is basically literally gone due to urbanisation.
Lots of pet shops (for australia at least) sell axolotls, so theyre arent illegal everywhere
08/09/2021 9:23 am
Kypickle
Lots of people keep axolotls as pets, they're actually for sale in the US at petco
So yeah, they are endangered, so getting one might actually be better than just throwing baby axolotls into the ocean, where they'll probably die and only add to the problem
08/10/2021 8:06 pm
Level 27 : Expert Spelunker
Shrimpware
Axolotls don't live in the ocean though
08/10/2021 8:45 pm
Kypickle
They live in freshwater near Mexico.
08/10/2021 8:45 pm
Kypickle
So ye not oceans
08/09/2021 8:00 am
Pleasenotme
Somehow I'm not quite sure that it's a good idea to base a decision that will be costing you probably over ten thousand hours in taking care of something on a poll on a forum about a block-game on the internet...

So you should consult IRL people as well probably.
08/09/2021 8:59 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
HoboMaggot
They arent that expensive, but you should always consult irl people who knows how to take care of specific pet for that specific pet you're getting
08/09/2021 9:12 am
Pleasenotme
I was actually talking about the time you have to spend in taking care of them.

Assuming that you spend a bit over one hour on it per day, and you have it for 10 years.
08/09/2021 9:23 am
Kypickle
yeah, im definitely asking real people, and yeah, I'm aware it's a huge commitment.
08/09/2021 9:31 am
Pleasenotme
Ok, great!
08/09/2021 8:00 am
Level 32 : Artisan Pirate
ZonkedCompanion
Having kept reptiles myself after saving them from their incompetent and selfish owners, nothing is sadder than seeing a reptile of any sort as a pet in a tank. Reptiles are not pets. I guarantee you wont look after it properly. Also it will cost a fortune in equipment which will need to be regularly replaced and upgraded as the reptile grows - this is usually where the neglect starts. Reptiles are very intelligent and should not be imprisoned for our amusement.

Cats and Dogs are pets.

Reptiles belong in nature.
08/08/2021 3:35 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Batman
Squirrel
Axolotl's are a very big commitment, and a lot of the time after a year or 2 people get tired of taking care of them, because of the workload, so If you are down to take care of them for the next 10 or so years, then yes! And if that sounds like too much work, then probably not.
08/08/2021 3:31 pmhistory
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Sheep
DanialCP
Do You Another Pet
AXOLTOLS Give Virus To Other Pet But To Humans Wont Give Virus
08/09/2021 8:17 am
Level 32 : Artisan Pirate
ZonkedCompanion
I don't know what this means but humans can catch some pretty nasty stuff from reptiles. More associated with bacteria than viral infection though. Salmonella for example is a very real danger, and could kill you.
08/08/2021 1:21 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc3692897
[deleted]
08/09/2021 7:49 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Technomancer
ItsNovaCake
huh
08/07/2021 7:20 amhistory
Level 73 : Legendary Modder
dreamCritting
They usually live up to about 10 - 15 years, although in rare cases some can live up to 20 - 25 years - it's a pretty big commitment if you do decide to get one.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome