What attracts you to a gaming YouTube channel?

Solespawn's Avatar Solespawn3/10/19 1:04 pm
3/18/2019 7:34 pm
Noibat's Avatar Noibat
As a YouTuber myself, I'm curious. There are so many gaming channels out there and most of them usually have a "thing" or something that sets them apart just enough from everyone else.

Here's my say:

I like channels that are nice and chill. I am not a real big fan of over the top dramatics and flashy-ness. I like it when a creator is very obviously being themselves and doesn't censor themselves in order to please specific groups of people. Overall, an organic and real channel is all a demonic spawn like myself could ever ask for!

Now its your turn! Let me know in the comments!
Solespawn
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/10/2019 6:22 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I like channels that don't assume their viewers know everything about the game they're playing. More times than not I'm watching a game-play channel because I'm researching a game I want to buy and I enjoy when a creator takes time to educate about game-play mechanics as they come up in a series.

I also share your sentiment of liking channels that don't bother censoring to please certain groups. As someone with a Youtube channel myself-- though it's not been active in quite some time-- I make it a point very early in my uploads that I won't censor myself for the sake of people watching my content. I curse a lot and that's part of my personality. I'm not going to censor stuff or act differently because there are kids on the internet. They can watch someone else if they don't want to listen to someone curse a lot.

People who click-bait are automatically people I don't watch. If your thumbnail or title grossly misrepresent what's actually in your video, people should probably stop watching your stuff. TroomTroom comes to mind almost immediately.

Creators who steal other peoples' art/music and don't give credit or follow any other requirements for use of that content set by the original artist-- like asking for permission or paying for the rights to non-royalty-free content-- are also automatically out. That said-- on the other side of the coin-- creators who claim other people's stuff when that stuff was fair use are awful and should be removed entirely from the platform.

Creative channels are neat too. I like people who play games with creativity in mind. For example, not a lot of people put time or effort into building creative buildings in games like Ark or Rust but the building in those games totally has the tools to do it. Part of the fun of watching a gaming series is watching what someone else designs their base as for creativity's sake, not just making the meta, optimal base to be unraidable.
03/11/2019 2:07 pm
Solespawn
I like everything you're saying!

Your first point is interesting to me. I have a channel myself and I try my best to explain what I'm doing as much as possible, though I'm not always successful at doing that haha.
03/10/2019 1:56 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Fish
CHorse
Oh the censoring isn't to please specific groups of people ye big ol dummy xD usually from what I've heard it's that the kiddos end up either wanting to be family friendly (in which case no bad wurds) or they end up attracting lil kiddos anyways and have to censor it cuz they don't want em to hear that stuffs and cutting out the parts will be too laborous and ye'll miss a lot. :L

From what I've heard anywhos.
03/10/2019 2:23 pm
Solespawn
I agree with you :P

I agree that it can be the creators choice to censor themselves for the kids (That's the specific group I was talking about).

I was referencing the fact that some creators censor themselves in order to avoid the backlash from the kids' parents or other groups that would get mad at "bad words" in the content.

I personally believe that it's not the creators responsibility to watch what kids watch, it's the parents or guardians that have that job.

I just don't really like content creators that very obviously do that.
03/10/2019 2:45 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Fish
CHorse
ah I see gotchas.
03/18/2019 7:34 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Pokemon
Noibat
great commentary, humor, personality, and mostly just games i know i'd enjoy watching.
03/18/2019 6:51 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Modder
mosquitobrain
Dark/dirty humor
03/18/2019 6:51 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Modder
mosquitobrain
And what most of the others said
03/14/2019 6:33 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Prince
GreenMist10
Quick, straight to the point, reliable information, presented in a realistic manner.
03/11/2019 6:01 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Architect
DadPlaysMC
I have a very similar opinion. I like people who I think I could easily have a conversation with. People like kurtjmac, Welsknight, and Python have me watching a lot of their content simply because I like the people themselves. I'm also not big on people swearing all the time. I know they want to sound edgy, but it's not for me. I watch a lot of Minecraft let's plays these days, but have also watched EA Sports NHL gamers. I like to watch games I enjoy playing myself. But the gamer's personality is important. I'm a calm kind of person, and that's what I tend to like to watch.

When it comes to the type of game play for Minecraft, I like seeing survival with creative building over a long series. I love seeing how worlds change and develop. It's fun for me, and that's what I try to do in my own videos.
03/10/2019 7:49 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Unicorn
Matetsu
Roleplays, mod reviews what-not xP
03/10/2019 4:04 pm
Level 24 : Expert Scribe
Outflow
(TL;DR: I don't watch gaming very much and prefer people who are funny and straight to the point.)

I steer clear of the gaming category on YouTube, only because of the ridiculous amount of clickbait and the occasional screaming hype beast. If I want to watch anything related to games, I go with someone who is funny and doesn't use dad jokes, has a decent following (so I'm not the only person who likes the YouTuber), and just plays the game and doesn't have a 10 minute video where their intro and a fake giveaway takes up 5 minutes.

I also don't prefer to watch people who censor. If parents don't want their kids hearing/watching content that isn't censored, they can adjust their experience accordingly. I do get how YouTubers can use this to boost their subscriber rate, though. Someone who plays games, is straight to the point, and appeals to all ages is more likely to reach a ridiculously high amount of subscribers than someone who takes 20 minutes for their intro, rages and says offensive things, and scams (ex: A YouTuber saying "'If you like, subscribe, and comment, you have a chance to win a [insert really expensive thing here]!).
03/10/2019 1:24 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
theajcrafters
Not cringey ahaha
03/10/2019 1:38 pm
Solespawn
Fair :P
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com