What kind of writing contest would you like to see?

CalPal_'s Avatar CalPal_3/16/15 4:02 pm
3/18/2015 10:14 am
Irish's Avatar Irish
Hello there everybody!

As most of you know, I am quite in love with writing and I enjoy fostering that love in others through contests here on the site. I am currently running a flash fiction contest, for St. Patrick's Day, and once that is done I would like to start another one up pretty quickly.

However, I would like this to be a bit different than the average writing contest. I've come up with two different concepts, and I'd like to hear people's opinions on them! Of course, if you have any other ideas of what I could do, share them with me here.

Idea 1: Teamwork. Ultimate Teamwork.
In this contest, two people would compete as a team. A skinner, and a writer. There would be a theme (TBD, obviously) around which the skinner would make a skin. Then, the writer would write a backstory for said skin! Quite dramatic and such. Yeah. Anyway, there would be judges for both the skinning side of it and the blogging side. They would get scored individually and then their two separate scores added together would become their "team score." There would be prizes for the top 3 teams and then perhaps prizes for the best skin and best writing.

Idea 2: Choose anothers fate.
In this contest, a singular skinner would be chosen to make a skin. Then, the people participating in the contest would have to write a backstory for said skin! A bit more simple than the last idea. Woo. I could easily see this (maybe) being a tournament styled venture. Why not.

So yeah, tell me which of the ideas you like better. Give feedback if you have it. Give me more ideas as to what I could do!
Also, if you DO like writing/blogging here on the site, be sure to check out The Brotherhood.. We don't bite.
CalPal_
Level 38 : Artisan Cake

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/18/2015 10:14 am
Level 71 : Legendary Nerd
Irish
Idea 2, though I would say there is a huge vote of who the skinner is, so nobody can be like "Omg pick me".
03/18/2015 9:13 am
Level 34 : Artisan Ninja
AkirAssasin
Another contest right after the current one? Yussss thanks oh lord

I chose Idea 1 but I believe the skin and blog must be judged seperately?
03/18/2015 9:05 am
CalPal_
Welp, it would appear as if Idea 2 is the overwhelming winner at this point, and I don't really see that changing either. So, I suppose you guys can plan to see something like that coming soon.
03/17/2015 4:34 pm
CalPal_
I think your #2 is a bit more clean/better overall, however finding that many skins could be tough, especially if the skinners aren't being compensated in any kind of way.

I mean, if I wanted too, I could perhaps find skins with no real backstory, ask permission for use, and such, but that would be a TON of work as well.
03/17/2015 4:16 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
Sounds pretty solid. Let's say, for example, it starts out with 16 members competing for the title. (That's probably a bit high for this sort of thing, but ya never know.)

Now, from here, there are two options:

1. There is one skin each time that everyone makes a backstory for. The best ones move on, and the lower quality ones are eliminated. (Like MGB_ said) The winner could be given an advantage for the next round or something. While this would take a lot more effort for the judges, less skinning would be required.

2. It's set up in a tournament format, with the contestants being paired up. Each set of 2 has a different skin to write a backstory for, and the winner of each of those would move on. This one would be cleaner and more efficient, but would require more skins.
03/17/2015 2:05 pm
CalPal_
Zatharel
MGB_
ChronIdea 2, because I can count on one hand the number of skinners and bloggers that get along well enough and have enough motivation to work well on a team together. While I would absolutely love to do Idea 1, it's just not possible.

Yeah, that's pretty much the truth, unfortunately.

Now, another question, do you guys think that Idea 2 would work in a tournament format?

Not sure how it could work, because if said skinner makes said skin, and said bloggers make said blogs, then there can only be one winner, right?

Perhaps not tournament but... elimination perhaps? As in, every week (hahahahahaAHAHAHA) the field is cut in half or whatever, by determination of the judges or community?
03/17/2015 1:59 pm
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
MGB_
ChronIdea 2, because I can count on one hand the number of skinners and bloggers that get along well enough and have enough motivation to work well on a team together. While I would absolutely love to do Idea 1, it's just not possible.

Now, another question, do you guys think that Idea 2 would work in a tournament format?

Not sure how it could work, because if said skinner makes said skin, and said bloggers make said blogs, then there can only be one winner, right?
03/17/2015 1:42 pm
CalPal_

03/17/2015 10:45 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
Idea 2, just makes a lot more sense.
inb4 Yuki gets picked as skinner and makes a man-eating penguin.
#1984 #penguinarmy #bigbrotheryuki
03/17/2015 9:51 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Bunny
Yuki
I'm all for idea 2, but if the skinner decided that they wanted to write a story too, they would be able to, yes?
03/18/2015 9:09 am
CalPal_
Eh, they could have a bit of an unfair advantage, seeing how they would already basically have in mind exactly what the skin is, yah know?
03/17/2015 9:44 am
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
Idea 2, because I can count on one hand the number of skinners and bloggers that get along well enough and have enough motivation to work well on a team together. While I would absolutely love to do Idea 1, it's just not possible.
03/17/2015 9:38 am
CalPal_
It would appear as if idea 2 is winning quite overwhelmingly. XD
03/16/2015 7:16 pm
Level 27 : Expert Blacksmith
StingRay_FTW
Idea 2, idea 2, idea 2, idea 2.
03/16/2015 5:49 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Architect
Shirotsuchi
idea 2
03/16/2015 5:47 pm
Level 29 : Expert Artist
nikh
I would say idea 2. Also, would the back story have to be about saint patricks day?
03/16/2015 5:05 pm
Level 29 : Expert Explorer
TheHipster
Idea 2, so people can witness my TRUE POWER
03/16/2015 4:38 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Blob
Speedy
I voted for idea 2, because I'm not sure how well idea 1 would do. Skinners these days are really lazy honestly, that and being busy/no interest to skin. I'm saying that if there were even enough skinners who wanted to participate, some of them probably wouldn't finish their skins.
k enough of being a know-it-all speedy

If idea 2 wins, I'm more than happy to make a skin for you if you want.
03/16/2015 4:12 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragonborn
okoloto
I have an idea but i'm not sure if it will work

its like idea 1 but no teams and the skins are randomly assigned to the blogers through a random number generator (Or some other way). Also there would be 1st 2nd and 3rd for skinners and blogers (Obviously)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome