What do people have against necro-posting?

Kfcnyancat's Avatar Kfcnyancat8/2/13 8:09 pm
1 emeralds 1.5k 23
8/3/2013 5:43 pm
aman207's Avatar aman207
What's wrong with necro-posting? People act like it's like trying to use witchcraft to revive a skunk, when it's really just posting in a fourm thread that has been inactive for a while. I've even been bullied for necro-posting on Minecraft Fourms. I want to know why people hate necro-posting, and why it's against PMC rules.
Kfcnyancat
Level 25 : Expert Pony

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/03/2013 5:43 pm
Level 40 : Master Cake
aman207
KfcnyancatNow let me explain why I think necro-posting should be allowed. Yes, if it's an answered question, necro-posting can be annoying. However, it may be a discussion thread instead of a question. Someone may want to chime their opinion on a discussion thread, so they post a reply, despite it being an old post. Also in the case of fourm games. Lastly, another reason is due to bloat of the same thread subjects. On Cheezburger fourms, there's about 300+ "Favorite Dead Meme" threads, because that fourm auto-locks threads after one month of inactivity, and I have a real hard time finding one that isn't locked.

If its a discussion thread, you post another one. The main reason why it has died is because everybody has said all their thoughts on the subject and nobody has anything else to say. When you post a new topic, new people have a fresh set of opinions rather than taking them from the 15 or so pages of other posts. Once a thread gets large, it tends to die quicker.
Kfcnyancatas for your dead people analogy, I don't think that it's an accurate analogy. A fourm doesn't live. It's a bit closer to trying to revive interest into old technology, and that actually has good results.

I disagree. A forum does live. It thrives with its members and the community and the content in it.
08/03/2013 3:37 pm
Kfcnyancat
quote="Kfcnyancat"]
aman207

Jeez I don't see what you don't get.

I said I GET IT, but I don't agree![/quote]
Ok so you do go and try to revive dead people?[/quote]
Now let me explain why I think necro-posting should be allowed. Yes, if it's an answered question, necro-posting can be annoying. However, it may be a discussion thread instead of a question. Someone may want to chime their opinion on a discussion thread, so they post a reply, despite it being an old post. Also in the case of fourm games. Lastly, another reason is due to bloat of the same thread subjects. On Cheezburger fourms, there's about 300+ "Favorite Dead Meme" threads, because that fourm auto-locks threads after one month of inactivity, and I have a real hard time finding one that isn't locked.
as for your dead people analogy, I don't think that it's an accurate analogy. A fourm doesn't live. It's a bit closer to trying to revive interest into old technology, and that actually has good results.
08/03/2013 1:03 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
You guys have a point, but the OP has a point too. Yes, it may be against the rules, and it's alright to discourage people from doing it. But seriously, being HOSTILE towards people who necro? Some people accidentally do it, not realizing that it's an old post.
08/03/2013 3:16 am
Level 40 : Master Mountaineer
COOPERx223x
It doesn't really matter if you agree or not (not trying to sound rude, believe me). It's just part of the rules, and it makes it easier for mods and members alike. Ya just gotta go with the flow.
08/02/2013 11:54 pm
aman207
When someone has died, do you go to their grave, dig them up and try to revive them? No you don't you try to concentrate on people that are still alive.

Jeez I don't see what you don't get.
08/03/2013 3:04 am
Kfcnyancat
I said I GET IT, but I don't agree!
08/03/2013 11:57 am
aman207
Ok so you do go and try to revive dead people?
08/02/2013 9:57 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
its just PMC's policy, you've had 2 forum mods and a site mod reply, and more good explanations, and you still don't? i had this same question, what you do if you want to keep a thread alive is bump it (bumping is when you post a useless post to raise it to the top of the forum list, you can only do it every 24 hours though)
08/02/2013 9:44 pm
Kfcnyancat
I get why now, but I still don't agree with it.
08/02/2013 8:25 pm
Level 47 : Master Lad
Doggle
The reason why necro-posting is not accepted is because the thread is going no where, therefore the thread is dead and has no purpose, trying to revive something that is pointless and is obviously not going anywhere is frustrating when people are trying to get legitimate new forum posts up asking important questions and such, let the new stuff roll in baby!
08/02/2013 9:51 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Skinner
zipnwizz
Doggle that was really good description xDDD
08/02/2013 8:20 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Princess
Elven_Queen
I never understood it either, it's like when you reply to a comment on YouTube, that may be made three or four weeks ago.
08/02/2013 8:26 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Network
Charlizard
It's not like that at all.

When you necro, you're bringing a dead thread back to like. That thread would have died for one of two reasons:
1 - it has been solved
2 - no-one was interested in it

Necro'ing a thread bumps is back up to the very top of the list hence it is seen more. This isn't needed as the thread is dead for a reason. If you have the same question, read through said necro thread and find the answer - don't post 'thanks' or something along those lines on it. If no-one was interested in it, but you are, take this as a warning. The older thread prevented you from creating a new unsuccessful (thus useless) thread with the exact same topic.
08/02/2013 8:11 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Hero
sed11
If a thread has been dead for more than three or four months, there's no reason to revive it.....
08/02/2013 8:14 pm
Kfcnyancat
I disagree. Somebody may want to discuss further, despite it being dead.
08/02/2013 8:11 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Geek
Gtfo_Mailman
When people necro, the OP can't deliver
08/02/2013 8:31 pm
COOPERx223x
Someone frequents reddit too much. I like you.

On topic, it's kind of just a courtesy thing. Once a thread dies out, it's just a common courtesy to let it stay dead, and posts that die out tend to be off-topic anyway.
08/02/2013 8:34 pm
Gtfo_Mailman
4chan, bro.
08/02/2013 8:35 pm
COOPERx223x
...I don't like you.
08/02/2013 11:58 pm
Level 40 : Master Taco
Swimmer1929
Oh, Hi. You again. You're all over PMC. Anyways, you don't even know how funny your sig and avatar are and how much trouble they've gotten me into. No. Don't even go there. Stop.
08/03/2013 12:03 am
COOPERx223x
Hello, swimmer1929. Isn't it such a pleasure to see you again?
08/02/2013 8:13 pm
Kfcnyancat
What does that mean?
08/02/2013 8:26 pm
Gtfo_Mailman
If you necro you will make an inactive thread featured, meaning it removes the visibility of the active ones
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome