What would you do if... (2)

Quanto__'s Avatar Quanto__2/17/15 8:39 am
2/18/2015 9:19 pm
Ludicrous's Avatar Ludicrous
Sorry this is a bit late. Since it is, awards will come on Saturday.

Previous Senarios:

1. Catastrophic Eruption at Yellowstone: http://pmc.la/pNHhK

Scenario 2:

Disaster: Power X-Class solar flare hurdling toward Earth.

You Are: A Normal Person

You live: Somewhere in civilization (Not a Survivalist).

Prologue:

You've just come home from a long, hard day at work. You've been working on a project for Bill Gates to find ways Microsoft can add as many extra fees and charges as possible to Minecraft (It's a joke, this isn't how I think about the Mojang buyout). You haven't had time to check the internet at all so you fall down on your couch and turn on your TV. You switch to the news channel. The first thing you hear is "[Breaking News]: Astromoners have identified an X-Class solar flare with Earth's name on it. It is expected to arrive here in 6 days. The is one of the largest flares ever observed by scientists. They say it doesn't pose a threat to life on Earth, but it could fry electronics including cells phones, laptops, TVs, etc. They also said it could effect the power grid as well, causing transformers to explode, and grid stations to overload. The effects would be felt world-wide, equal to a world-wide EMP." You clutch your phone like it is your only son. The announcer continues, "Everyone on the I.S.S. (International Space Station) is evacuating on the two Russian capsules that are always there in case of an emergancy (like this one), as the radiation from the solar flare will be harmful to anyone in space."

What do you do?
Quanto__
Level 17 : Journeyman Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/18/2015 9:19 pm
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Ludicrous
what-would-you-t471218.html
Keep all updates of the same thing, within the same thread.

Locked it for ya!
02/18/2015 6:27 pm
Level 44 : Master Poro
GildedGam3r
@Kirito
Edited my original response

Also, DC power items would ALSO be affected just as easily, same as generators, the magnitude of the solar flare the OP is implying is physically possible and would surge anything that requires a power source, including those that are battery operated(especially those that need to be charged).
02/18/2015 6:31 pm
Level 27 : Expert Mage
The Silver Paladin
He said an X-class. not necessarily an X-9.
02/18/2015 6:22 pm
Level 25 : Expert Archer
IDKCharlie
Hey, I can finally get that tan I've wanted.
02/18/2015 6:18 pm
The Silver Paladin
GildedGam3r
Kirito Swordsman
GildedGam3r
-claps-

Can't tell if Sarcasm, or what.

edit: Even if it did get through, things that run on AC current would only be effected since that comes through the poles which are the only thing affected I believe.

I believe what the op is trying to say is that the solar flare is of a power higher than X-9 and said flare is directed precisely towards earth. Such a flare would most likely not harm life on earth (though it would be lucky for life not to be harmed by something higher than X9), but it would cause coronal mass ejections (magnetic storms) and large power surges. These surges and storms would fry most electronics with a few having a small potential for surviving. So in a way you are correct in the fact that there will be some technology left, but those affected would not have temporary but permanent damage.

The Magnetic field though. It would have to be bombarded more to be able to break.The solar storms mainly effect AC power. So, most DC Power items would be left standing.It could also disrupt TV Signals, radio signals, and phone signals, but we would still have Generators and stuff.
02/17/2015 11:14 pm
Level 20 : Expert Hunter
Monotone
Okay. I wrote a mini thing to show what I would do.

Analiña(aka me) ran into the living room of Stark Tower, nearly out of breath. Tony, Natasha, Clint, Thor, Bruce, Loki, Steve, and Bucky all looked at her in confusion.

"Guys," she panted, "The world is ending."

"Is it the AIM extremists?"
"Hydra?"
"Thanos?"
"Ultron?"

"No- worse." She said, finally catching her breath.

"Minecraft is going to die."

Everyone:
02/17/2015 11:10 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
funny bunny
I don't think you guys understand what an EMP does. It disables all electronics.

I would raid the closest supermarkets so I can become self proficient. If this becomes like the book "The Fifth Wave", I would become apart of the people trying to conquer earth. I'm not going to spoil it for you guys, it is a great read.
02/17/2015 10:25 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Artist
Roer
Day 1: I would go to a store and buy one of those super strong safes. I would put my two or three most important electronic devices in it, in hopes that it would protect them. Day 2:I would go back to the store, buy a 10 day cooler and a small amount of perishables, enough to sustain 10 days. I would also get 3 packs of water bottles, 5 packs of dried fruit, and 3 packs of beef jerkey.
Day 3: I would get all the electronics apart from the ones in the safe and put them in the garage/shed, as there would be a slight chance that they might catch fire.
Day 4: I would then call all of my friends and tell them to get food and water and come and meet up at my house.
Day 5: My friends and I would block the windows with cloth and towels to keep the inside cool, as there wouldn't be any air conditioning. Also, we could create makeshift beds on the floor for us to sleep on.
Day 6: Hope that nothing explodes . . .
02/17/2015 8:59 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Explorer
xPotatoFrys
(This time this is a real thing, but how W.I.C.K.E.D. came to be, sort of)
1. I'd hurry and stock supplies, this is a big necessitiy. I would gather friends and family to come so we could join together and live off. I will find my old scientific cure experiments and test it to see if this will cure The Flare. It doesn't, when a group takes us hostage. They call us 'munies' and march us into a place named W.I.C.K.E.D.. While trying to trigger a reaction from my cure, they find me. Holding me at gunpoint until I hand it over. It drops. A man picks it up, he has rodent features, I would call him 'rat man'. **More of a story, but it's how I'd imagine what my life with The Flare everywhere.**
02/17/2015 8:52 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Explorer
xPotatoFrys
I'd grab the book 'The Maze Runner', hold it up in the air, and shout "IT'S HAPPENING!!!". I'll see you in the maze when we're trapped by WICKED, guys. ;-; I apologize if you do not get the reference.
02/17/2015 7:47 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Dragon
Skitto493
Uuuh...

Uuh...

Uh....

Lemme see...

I spend 5 days straight playing video games...

*Five days later...*

"I should do something," I say to myself, rubbing my sore eyes.

I walk up the stairs to see a strange sight. It's like the whole sky is on fi - HOLY MOLY. IT IS ON FIRE! I run outside and kick a fire hydrant over, making it spew water up into the air.

The solar flare is undetered, hesitating only for a moment before continuing its descent. I cup my hands around the water stream and aim it at the heart of the solar flare. It takes a direct hit, but the solar flare is angry, and shoots a fireball at the fire hydrant. I jump away just in time to see the hydrant explode in an awe-inspiring explosion. Rubble rains down, scratching the arms I had raised over my head to protect myself.

"That is IT! Shooting fireballs is unacceptable!" A voice calls out.

I spin around toward the source of the voice. I see an ice cream truck race around the corner, its giant ice cream cone on top slowly raises up, revealing a giant steel cannon.

"Don't worry! We've got this," says Shrek as he leans out of the passenger window. Batman leans out the driver window. "Stay clear, kid!"

The ice cream cone cannon completes its transformation, and fires a giant glob of ice cream toward the solar flare, yet it melts before it can even reach it.

"Shrek, activate the other mode," Batman says, his voice reveals a hint of fear.

Shrek jumps out and races to the back of the ice cream truck, pressing a few hidden buttons. he climbs back on saying: "Don't worry. We'll save the day."

The ground rumbles as the ice cream cone spins around in a 180, and it starts spewing out flames.

"Weeehaaw!" Batman exclaims as the ice cream truck leaves the ground and rockets toward the solar flare.

A huge flash of light appears, and an ice cream mushroom cloud erupts. Ice cream rains down everywhere, covering the entire world. The solar flare is completely gone.

I clamber out of a layer of ice cream and look at the world around me. The world is an ice cream landscape, and even though it was summer, it was extremely cold.

Suddenly, a figure rises out of the ice cream. It's an ice cream snowman! He slowly turns his head toward me and grins.

"The solar flare is gone, but we shall take over the world!"

That, is how it ends.
02/17/2015 4:56 pm
Level 26 : Expert Zombie
nameiztaken
I would praise amazon for quick delivery.

http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Antistat ... lectronics
02/17/2015 4:42 pm
The Silver Paladin
Literally, the Solar Flare would disable everything TEMPORARILY! An EMP would do it forever. plus, with the magnetic field around Earth, there is no way it could get through!

02/17/2015 10:38 pm
GildedGam3r
-claps-
02/17/2015 11:35 pm
The Silver Paladin
Can't tell if Sarcasm, or what.

edit: Even if it did get through, things that run on AC current would only be effected since that comes through the poles which are the only thing affected I believe.
02/18/2015 6:10 pm
GildedGam3r
I believe what the op is trying to say is that the solar flare is of a power higher than X-9 and said flare is directed precisely towards earth. Such a flare would most likely not harm life on earth (though it would be lucky for life not to be harmed by something higher than X9), but it would cause coronal mass ejections (magnetic storms) and large power surges. These surges and storms would fry most electronics with a few having a small potential for surviving. So in a way you are correct in the fact that there will be some technology left, but those affected would not have temporary but permanent damage.

Edit: Also, any X-Class solar flare higher than 9 would have the potential of getting through the magnetic field, so long as it directly pointed towards Earth as the OP stated it would be. These solar flares are capable of producing the energy equivalent of more than a billion hydrogen bonds. There was a X28 solar flare in 03, however this solar flare was not directed at Earth so all we received was a bit of a light show and some radio/GPS interference.
02/17/2015 4:07 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Cowboy
Star
I'd cry.

Maybe draw for a bit, since that's pretty much the only other thing I do that doesn't involve electronics.

Possibly cry some more.

I could grow a miniature farm, or break into grocery stores and stash canned goods in my basement.
02/17/2015 3:09 pm
Quanto__
Remember: The solar flare won't kill you. What will is the lack of food/water during the aftermath, as the global food supply chain will be messed up due to the lack of working electronics.
02/17/2015 1:18 pm
Level 42 : Master Necromancer
candle_
Actually doing this fairly realistically wowie wow.

Day 1.

I'd primarily stay home. I'm in an area without too many people living nearby as the place still has a lot of construction going on. However, I'm also near a big city. People would probably be going nuts looting and rioting the entire time, but the first day would be utter chaos.

First, I'd go to Wikipedia and find articles on various survival methods and information that could be useful in general. Let's assume my printer is filled with ink and paper, as it should be. I'd print a bunch of these things out. Handy to have. I'd then go to various survival sites, print stuff out directly from there for even more information. I'd also print out personal pictures and stuff I guess. Morale and all that.

Next I'd grab a backpack, a few bottles of water, and some perishable foods and head out into the neighborhood. Would try to get people to ally with each other and myself and start working together to get something working. There's not an insane amount of people, but there are still quite a few. It'd be difficult needing to get some sort of group running this quickly in, but possible. We'd be able to grab leftovers from the construction, tons of boards, nails, tools, etc. Could begin barricading houses with it in case of emergency. Primarily though, it should go towards finishing the wall that surrounds the neighborhood. Even if it won't stop someone who truly means ill or is very desperate, it could at least give us time to react.

Let's say that takes up the rest of the day. I eat some perishable foods in the fridge, drink water, go to bed.

Day 2.

I'd try and get the others organized and start talking of long-term survival plans. We don't know if the military or government is really coming to help. Hope for it, but expect them to abandon us. If they did come, It'd be unlikely they'd decide to do something with this specific neighborhood. :Leaving a big sign for them is also a big "Come steal from us" sign for those desperate. It's hard to lay low behind walls, but it's also good not to draw attention to yourself.

I have a few fruit trees, which, while nice and all, are not a stable food source for any of us, much less all of us together. Good to have but not enough. We're going to need seeds for various plants, and preferably ones that can be grown all year round. There's tons of room for farming if we clear the areas where houses were going to be built.

Additionally, could start moving cars towards the wall to be used as a makeshift part of the barricade for now. They could be salvaged for scrap later. At the very least a group won't be able to go flying in whilst driving in a vehicle before the EMP hits.

Would start setting up makeshift rain collection barrels using, quite simply, garbage cans with a garbage bag in them, nailed into something so the wind doesn't carry them away or blow them over. One could be set up a barrel so it's getting all the rain coming from the spout from on top of the house, but it has the potential to be dirty from being up there, so, despite being rain water, it's probably best to be safe and purify it. You'll get a decent amount of it though, and it tends to rain here a fair bit.

We could start cutting down some nearby trees for firewood or such to be stored in a dry location. Just in case. Gotta do something while we wait for the situation to calm down.

Day 3.

Several of us grab backpacks. Arm ourselves with whatever we have. Hopefully there end up being a few firearms, for hunting and emergency self defense.

Then we head out in cars while we can still use them to the nearby asian market. It's in a less centralized location than the main city, and has a lot of nonperishable foods, such as bags and bags of rice, noodles, and canned food. There's also a lot of candy there, which could help with morale in some manner. Lots of tea, too. There are also a decent amount of seeds for various plants, including edible ones. We could try and grow some. Let's assume 1/3 of the stuff there has already been bought, and the owners are armed and defending the place from would be attackers. There's the option of trying to buy from them of course, but really, what is currency going to do for either of us? We could try and convince them to join our group, bringing supplies from there over for all of us to use, and giving them a much safer location than one in a city, even if it's not in the middle of it all.

We'd all take separate cars and fill them to the brim with the stuff and head out, hopefully being able to hold it all. My pantry is huge and could probably hold a lot of it, at least. With the seeds we could spend the rest of the day planting what we can, but not too much in case something goes wrong.

Day 4.

Staying tuned to the radio and TV, hoping for some news of the government coming to do something. I'd also see how people are reacting on the internet for fun.

Basically, continuing barricading, working around, getting more stuff set up, preparing. Going to other locations is very risky given the rioting and looting, and there might not even be much left. Nothing too eventful to be done that day basically, but devoting more time for things previously mentioned to get them in working order.

Day 5.

Last, quick looting run. Going to nearby isolated gas stations and the like. Grabbing as much as possible assuming no one is there. It may be an apocalypse, but I don't want to steal from someone. Everyone else is trying to do the same thing we are. Can't take too many people or it becomes hard to manage, but if they want to go, we could afford a few more. Hopefully get a few basics such as lighters, chips, soda, etc. I'd also grab a few plastic cups those places usually have. More things to hold water is never bad, especially when you can have several things to hold dirty and purified/boiled water.

Go home. Play some games for probably the last time. Say goodbye to my precious aurin whilst printing out vast amounts of pictures of it. Say goodbye to people.

Party. Or something. Make a cake. Idunno. Why not.

Day 6.

GOODBYE MY SWEET STEAM LIBRARY

HOW I WILL MISS YOU

HALF LIFE 3 WILL NEVER BE RELEASED
02/17/2015 10:20 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Skinner
KingRex35
*calls the Hulk*
Hulk: Again?
Me: Yeah, sorry.
*calls Hawk Eye*
Hawk Eye: Again?
Me: Yeah, sorry.
*calls Dragon Born*
Dragon Born: Again?
Me: Hey, it isn't my fault the planet is doomed.
*calls Luke Skywalker*
Luke Skywalker: I have to go all the way over there? Fine....
The solar flare comes. Hawk Eye hits the flare with an arrow. Luke Skywalker uses the force against it. Hulk charges at it, and makes it bounce back a bit.
The Dragon Born yells, " FUS RO DUH!!!!!" The solar flare deflects back into space.
"Um, thanks guys."

The End
02/17/2015 9:57 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Taco
scidoo
Wow people, all this time he took and you give him crappy ideas like that? give him a chance!

I ride my magical rainbow dragon into the night and go to Notches house. I kiss him then run away. My life goal was achieved, so i run into the flare.
02/17/2015 9:29 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Warrior
philpres2
Die
02/17/2015 8:58 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Goblin
epikpython2
find a space shuttle and submerge myself into deep space and live for 3 seconds more there
02/17/2015 8:54 am
Quanto__
Bump. I actually finished the post correctly this time.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome