1

Extreme screen tearing while playing Minecraft (iMac)

Ps2001 •2/4/17 9:11 pm
•
1.1k
•
3/26/2017 4:37 pm
Hi,

I am playing Minecraft on a 2007 iMac and it's running fine for the most part. The only thing that is bugging me is the screen tearing. When V sync is on, I get 30 fps without screen tearing, however it plays very choppy. When V sync is off and it is unlimited, I reached 90fps but I get a crazy amount of screen tearing, it's unbearable. I tried setting the option to 60, but the screen tearing is still there. I know the computer is old, but is there any fix for this?
Posted by
Ps2001
Level 1 : New Miner
0

  Have something to say?

Join • Sign in

11

striker107
• 03/26/2017 3:47 pm
• Level 30 : Artisan Blacksmith
What's screen tearing? Because I'm not familiar with the term.
1
Ellie
• 02/07/2017 5:46 am
• Level 36 : Artisan Artist
Moved to Minecraft Help
1
carbonawk
• 02/07/2017 4:46 am
• Level 18 : Journeyman Cake
I am actually very surprised to hear someone still having screen tearing in this day and age. But yes, Vsync should be an solution.
1
Azrath
• 02/07/2017 6:11 am
• Level 27 : Expert Button Pusher
Not everyone has next gen PCs, I for one got my new PC like a year ago while before I had some old dual core processor, 2gb ram, some random GPU and 100gb of HDD.
1
carbonawk
• 02/07/2017 6:32 am
• Level 18 : Journeyman Cake
Wouldn't say next gen, but current gen. But true. Even then it's not common.
1
Zirconium
• 03/26/2017 1:28 pm
• Level 1 : New Network
Screen tearing doesn't have to do with your pc but your monitor lmao.
1
Azrath
• 03/26/2017 4:37 pm
• Level 27 : Expert Button Pusher
So funny, just because we are playing games doesn't mean we have to know everything about computers.
1
real_galaxiverse
• 02/07/2017 2:36 am
• Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Mine's fine lol
1
Leeberator
• 02/05/2017 11:24 pm
• Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Vsync is designed to combat screen tearing. If you turn it off, there will be tearing. I'm not sure how macOS manages its desktop, but in Windows you can safely play games in windowed mode with Vsync off without tearing thanks to triple-buffering on the desktop.

If you aren't already playing in windowed mode, give it a try.
1
YMbrothers
• 02/05/2017 11:09 pm
• Level 5 : Apprentice Crafter
Render distance?
1
Ps2001
• 02/05/2017 1:57 pm
• Level 1 : New Miner
Bump
1

Welcome