How did you get your Minecraft Server popular?

agent2839's Avatar agent28399/1/13 5:54 pm
1 emeralds 12.5k 71
6/1/2014 6:54 pm
-Kali-'s Avatar -Kali-
Hi, me and my friends plan on opening a server soon and we were wondering how did you get your servers popular we aren't trying to get a huge 100+ server just a server with about 30-40 players on at all times so again if you could put how you got yours popular that would be amazing.
Thanks in advance.
agent2839
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/01/2014 6:54 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
-Kali-
Locked. Necro-posts
06/01/2014 6:41 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
Bambel
One of the issues I've had is that the only place I can find that I can advertise is on PMC and MineStatus. Can anyone tell me where else I can advertise?
02/24/2014 8:39 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
playsurvivalcraft
Yea I Already post my server on a lot of server lists and I'm lucky that I get 1-2 players a day but some leave. My server is a Factions server. Is there any plugins to make it unlike other servers?
02/23/2014 10:04 pm
playsurvivalcraft
You definaly want to make your server stand out. DON'T go on a server and do(this is my server to let you know ) "HEY EVERYONE JOIN MY AWESOME SERVER!! IP: playsurvivalcraft.no-ip.org", that makes you and your server bad , just go on a server list and add it there. And advertise NOT a lot thought good luck.

PlaySurvivalCraft:
ip: playsurvivalcraft.no-ip.org:25565
FACTIONS
02/13/2014 7:35 pm
Level 22 : Expert Network
GreenTitanLP
I've seen people say they purchased advertising. Where did you get it from, how much was it, and was it worth it?
02/13/2014 6:39 pm
Level 25 : Expert Toast
Shadow_Anndroid
i didnt T.T
02/03/2014 12:38 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
mgd9000
I've been running my server almost 2 years and its still dead lol
02/02/2014 9:05 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Narwhal
mikemy
My advide for starting , i found that getting friends on to have about 5-10 people or so then streaming on your server really helps bring in players. It helps create an interactive environment which i find players love. Much more effective then youtube vids in my opinion
02/02/2014 2:18 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
ItsNational
01/03/2014 1:19 am
Level 26 : Expert Scribe
Banjo565
Ok I've been through this many times and have seen other servers die due to it. Here are some helpful suggestions I've made up due to my experience.

1. Submit it to several voting websites
2. Get your players to vote
3. Improve server quality (Add stuff that players want)
4. Advertise on Pmc (My Signature for example)
5. Youtube videos
6. Make your server unique (Add something that no other server has!)
7. Purchase advertising (Most effective, but expensive)

If you found this helpful, be sure to subcribe to me on pmc, and follow me on twitter! And there's a chance your server will be promoted !
02/24/2014 8:42 pm
playsurvivalcraft
I did these's but PMC and Purchased advertising, and I don't have the money for the advertising. I looked it up on youtube and even post a video about my server.
01/02/2014 5:38 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
Moved to Server Help

/move
12/29/2013 8:08 am
Level 1 : New Crafter
SharrettCraft
Yeah and I just started a new server yesterday so this may take a while
Here's my server: scuniverse.sytes.net
12/22/2013 7:12 pm
Level 28 : Expert Dragonborn
IceMagic
My vanilla server can be very populated that it crashes XD
12/22/2013 11:25 pm
Level 44 : Master Pixel Puncher
xxtreepuncherxx
hehe Vanilla?
12/22/2013 7:10 pm
Level 44 : Master Pixel Puncher
xxtreepuncherxx
It takes Time, Money and More time
12/22/2013 7:07 pm
Level 45 : Master Dragonborn
Ninniy
Well, my server has maybe 5 players on at once. It was never meant to be public anyway!

All I have to say is, like everyone else, advertising. Bump every day! Uniqueness is also key. So is friends! Have a good spawn to keep players attached.
12/20/2013 10:51 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Crafter
BroPvPServer
Look at my server it is very unique in a way that it attracts players right away!
The plugins that i have that keep lot's of players on are..
Factions, Auctions, MCMMO,MobArena
these 4 plugins, are very common but, I made them into a way that my server really suits the fact that its a Faction, PvP, Raid, Auction, MCMMO, MobArena server!
i have 1 AMAZING HUGE MOBARENA!
Factions, customized!!
Auctions made just for the server!
Lot's of pvp and raiding going on all the time!
Come try it out!
IP: play.bropvp.org
12/20/2013 11:30 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Architect
bloxParadise_
omg ur the only server i can pvp on and have mob arenas!!!oneone111 pls ip
12/02/2013 7:46 pm
Level 25 : Expert Toast
Shadow_Anndroid
do what i did. put a few minigames in, but not so many the server is centered around them. try playing with players in survival, and not using god stuff. listening to what your players want always helps.
12/02/2013 7:41 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
spedeff
dont make the server for donation dont think you gonna earn money from it only do it you can enoy it
11/07/2013 10:31 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
doc10000
09/10/2013 5:07 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Pokemon
Ethlu09
Just Post ur server on alot of sites even some that arent even for MC and just keep bumping the submission up or keep reposting it Thats how i get my server players and now i always have like 4 or 5 players when im at school but when i get on and bump back up we have like 23/100 players on BTW the server is
mc5.fadehost.com:25725
^^^^^See wut i did there
09/10/2013 5:03 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Princess
SpongyBacon
My biggest advice is to save up say $50-75 between you, and then start of with 1-2GB ram. Donations wont come in fast, its most likely your last week of your 1st month, upto half way through your 2nd month.

When you bump on pmc you'll get 10-20 players that join in total. 10 of those will stay for an hour or so, and about 2-5 of those will be loyal.

Keep your server interesting; meaning that just always add stuff! This is a mistake i've made many times.

Don't get put down by people, if they come on and say its shit, ban them without thinking twice.

Good luck!

If you need help setting up, I have a guide on my profile, which when I reach 10 diamonds will be updated with more info
09/07/2013 4:45 pm
Level 26 : Expert Network
Corsicaman
Yes. The first donations are the hardest to get since players don't know if you're just scamming them or if you're making a "legit" server. It usually takes a few weeks before they start trusting you.
09/06/2013 8:33 pm
agent2839
IS getting donations for a server that just started out hard?
09/05/2013 9:12 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
boys08-0
agent2839Hi, me and my friends plan on opening a server soon and we were wondering how did you get your servers popular we aren't trying to get a huge 100+ server just a server with about 30-40 players on at all times so again if you could put how you got yours popular that would be amazing.
Thanks in advance.

where can i look at your server?
09/05/2013 8:50 pm
Corsicaman
Instead of a huge paragraph of text for your ad, you can use some pictures. Check out my server's page if you need an example.
09/05/2013 7:59 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
Xander the Great
Advertisement is one of the hardest aspects of getting a server off the ground. I have owned 3 servers and one became pretty popular for a while (had to go down due to monetary reasons :C).

First, you want to find a number of different websites for posting your server, make an account for each, and check back on all of them at least once a week. This is to answer any questions anybody might have in the comments to make it seem like you are an admin engaged in keeping your server online.

Second, make a list of your server plugins, and what your server has to offer, make sure that this information is readily avalible to the viewers and one of the first things they see. This will attract the people that are looking for specific types of servers (hopefully yours is what they were looking for).

Third, make a paragraph long description of your server, keep it light, don't talk about it like its better than life its self. Be modest(at least at first) don't scare away new players by calling it hardcore and don't "underwhelm" old players that it is for noobs. On top of this, keep your description neutral, dont use anything overbearing.
An example of an over bearing description:
"Come and join BLAHCRAFT today, Kill NOOBS, BLOOD, THERE IS BLOOD HERE, and BUILDING, ahhh, ADMIN SHOPS LOTS OF ADMINS SHOPS, DONT LOOSE, you cant LOOSe, If you dont play on dis server, you dont know what minecraft is like, its better, we have over A BAZILLION PLAYERS WORLD WIDE, we are the best and you cant tell me anything because we is da bess. NO HAXORS, but Xray is OKEy because we arent BABIES. JUst Join Because WE has good servr .
Anyway, make sure you sound confident, and dont beg, just put what you got down on the table for everyone to see! After this paragraph post a BASIC outline of the rules, don't go into depth, save that for inside the server itself.

Fourth, get some sexy screenshots (possibly shaded), get a banner and make sure that they stand out (IN A GOOD WAY).

Thats pretty much all my advice for advertising, also be sure you make a server that follows the trends of that point in time. Some of my advice may sound weird, but because minecraft has such a WIDE variety of followers some people will like the idea of your server and others wont. Just stick with your gut and nicely ask players to invite friends (Don't spam them while asking, make it seem casual) and your server should gain a few players. Its a lot like fishing actually... Anyways, good luck !

*edit* DANG, this is long... Sorry
09/05/2013 8:30 pm
agent2839
Advertising I never thought that would be hard. Hmmmmmm.
09/05/2013 7:54 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
DJPartyBox
09/05/2013 7:23 pm
agent2839
When first starting out to make a server whats harder to achieve getting players or paying for the server itself or both?
09/05/2013 7:19 pm
agent2839
anyone?
09/04/2013 8:06 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc372594
[deleted]
09/04/2013 8:43 pm
agent2839
Dang, how'd you get it to expand like that custom plugins?
09/04/2013 7:55 pm
Level 1 : New Modder
ADarkMCServer
So just start small dont go all out.
09/04/2013 7:44 pm
ADarkMCServer
yes start small then work your way up. As aceyxx said. Get some funding before hand to pay for at least 2 months in advanced(From either allowance or a job of sorts, IDK how old you are:D). This way you can save up donations that are received and have enough to upgrade(if needed) when your pre-gotten money is used up. Also dont be afraid to ask nicely for a small donation.(DO NOT pressure the person to donate or make them feel like they should. Just say "Hey, as you know servers dont come cheap. If you wouldn't mind donating it would help alot!")
09/04/2013 7:53 pm
agent2839
It's not really money that's the problem since me and my friend will be running it and we're both pitching in 25 bucks each it's more the problem of how to get people.
09/04/2013 7:20 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Cake
Terrror_tD
PMC is a great way to grow your server! Also drawing the Eye to your server whether that be by Art work, A unique Name, or maybe having a famous person on the server!
09/04/2013 7:20 pm
Corsicaman
A professional-looking website will also increase the amount of players joining and staying on your server.
09/04/2013 7:18 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
Unholydeath7856
i was having a fun time with running my server till mc update to 1.6 then it all turned to hell with the beta and alpha builds
09/04/2013 7:12 pm
Level 22 : Expert Nerd
pancakegirl123
I'm hungry.
09/04/2013 7:10 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Archer
creepercool
dorro123
Lol.

don't. owning a server is pure hell. Alot of upkeep and dealing with hackers involved. Oh, and PLEASE dear GOD don't have a factions pvp server... it's so overused

You are just lazy. I think owning a server is quite fun IMO
09/04/2013 7:02 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Pixel Painter
EpicAwesome1
dorro123

Lol.

don't. owning a server is pure hell. Alot of upkeep and dealing with hackers involved. Oh, and PLEASE dear GOD don't have a factions pvp server... it's so overused

You are... perhaps the WORST advice giver I have ever seen...
09/03/2013 11:54 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Wolf
Colonellooo
Some tips are don't buy 100 slots right away buy around 30 to start off with you'd be paying extra money for something you don't need. You need to right away add your server to the PMC server list but make sure to add good information and nice looking screenshots. Every day either bump the post or add soemthing new to the server and add in an update log. My server went from 5-10 people online to about 20 online at a time in less than a month using it. Also buy some cheap advertising on Minecraft related websites.
09/03/2013 11:43 pm
Level 44 : Master Enderdragon
aceyxx
If you're going to start a server , you need to make sure you can cover the initial costs otherwise its not going to get anywhere. You'll be one of many I've been to that's come and gone after a month simply cos they relied on donations to cover their immediate costs. If you get lucky maybe you can find an investor or sponsor to help with the financial upkeep of your server until it can stand on its own through donations.

I don't own a large server but at the moment but as a player who went through a lot of different servers, it always sucked that what I wanted to build just got destroyed after a month cos server wasn't gonna be there anymore
09/03/2013 11:40 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Architect
iltkamil
I've had my server for a while now. 9 months. Its a cracked server and its had its ups and downs. If you were to learn one piece of advice today just don't give up. No matter how bad it gets don't give up. It pays off in the end. Even when you got a decent amount of players on just keep advertising and try to make everyone happy with events and being there for the members. I would say being there for the members and not ignoring them will get you a lot of people to respect you.
09/03/2013 9:15 pm
ADarkMCServer
Well for me I got into the staff side of things first so I could understand how plugins and the whole show works because if you can't manage plugins then you shouldn't own a server at all.

Get it hosted. That is very important because hosts will have it 24/7 and you should get a dedicated IP(One with the default port of 25565).
For now only get a 20 person server with atleast 2Gb of RAM. Then work your way up according to playerbase.

To start off get the plugins you want and the builds you want(Make a custom spawn. It doesn't have to be fancy just make sure your players know what to do. Make signs with the most common commands).

Then your gonna want to NOT make a huge room or building dedicated to donations yet. In small server you only need a small little spot with a few signs telling players that they can donate. Remember this is only a small server at this point.

Now you just wait. Make sure plugins are up to date. Make sure players are having fun and not complaining(As much:D). Time will work wonders. You may not like it but time is the best answer. Make sure that your server has something different. Like for mine, I made my own plugin that adds some things and instantly my server grew in size.

Advertising is not necessary. I only have my server on here and a few server list websites and in one(that I know of) youtube video. Just bump the server post on PMC every 24 hrs. and you will get new players. Trust me paying for advertisement is not worth it unless you spend over 1k.

Hope this helps!
09/03/2013 11:22 pm
agent2839
So basically start it out small and work my way up is that it? What if I buy a host but don't have enough to pay for it at the end of the month due to lack of donations?
09/03/2013 7:23 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Mage
backhack312
I posted it WHEREVER possible and told my friends to tell their friends and stuff. Cool plugins as well as different ways of play in different worlds turns out well. Also make sure you give you server a Beautiful banner as well as a fair amount of GB to run on.

Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome