How to Install Texture Packs

OverlordCML's Avatar OverlordCML4/26/19 11:01 pm
1 emeralds 2.5k 10
4/27/2019 6:28 pm
OverlordCML's Avatar OverlordCML
Hello. I'm new to the modding community for Minecraft. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to use a texture pack. Every download link I click on for every texture pack leads me to a website that tricks you into downloading a tremendous amount of third party software, and I cannot find any real download link. Thanks!
OverlordCML
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/26/2019 11:32 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Pixel Painter
Nighthearted
Unfortunately, there are a lot of shady sites that rehost Minecraft texture packs and mods. 9Minecraft is one of the offenders that appears the most in Google search results for resource packs. Here is a list of sites to avoid made by StopModReposts.

Generally, resource packs posted on PlanetMinecraft are legit as long as they have been here long enough to have been vetted by the community. Often, resource packs on here have been put behind an ad-hosting site such as AdFly, but as long as you don't click on anything but the official download button, you should be fine. I highly recommend using an ad-blocker not only for downloading from AdFly, but just to enhance your overall internet experience.
04/26/2019 11:39 pm
OverlordCML
Do you know how to navigate through the obstacle course of AdFly lol? I tried to skip through the ads, but I never ended up finding a real link or page.
04/26/2019 11:52 pm
Nighthearted
Click only the "Skip ad" button in the top right corner. It should look like this
04/27/2019 12:11 am
OverlordCML
Ah okay. I think the texture pack I was trying to download is just actually non-existent. Cuz' I try to skip the ad, but then it just opened one page asking me to turn on notifications (no) and another with Page Not Found. I found another pack that finally worked, now I just need to figure out how to actually use it.
04/27/2019 12:19 am
Nighthearted
Once you download the pack (it should be in .zip format), place it in the 'resourcepacks' subfolder or your Minecraft directory which can be found in one of these locations depending on your OS.

Windows
%APPDATA%\.minecraft
macOS
~/Library/Application Support/minecraft
Linux
~/.minecraft
04/27/2019 1:30 pm
OverlordCML
I'm not sure why mine is different, but I don't have a file path like that in Windows 10. The only Minecraft related file path a have is "D:\Program Files (x86)\Minecraft Launcher" and I cannot find any 'resourcepacks' sub-folder.
04/26/2019 11:23 pmhistory
Level 42 : Master Pixel Puncher
funkiecrunch
I can't speak for other pack creators and can only speak for myself.. on my current pack, I have a alternate download link in the description that skips that part for people who have issues with advertising sites.
Have a read of the descriptions in the packs you're trying to download others will be doing the same thing I'm sure.
As for installing, you will usually be given a .zip file. This zip file may need extracting depending on how the artist has packaged their work, be sure to look for any special instructions in the description.
Once you have that sussed out, you will want to copy either the zip file you just downloaded/folder you just extracted, and paste it into your Minecraft directory
in my case that would be
C:\Users\funkiecrunch\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\resourcepacksthen the pack should be listed in game under settings > resource packs

I hope this helps.
04/26/2019 11:57 pm
OverlordCML
I'm not sure that my files are configured the same way... I don't have anything like that path (only up to \Roaming, no \.minecraft\resourcepacks) in my folders. I also don't have a resourcepacks file in the game files.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome