I need shading help

2 emeralds7 replies81 views
DugTheDark started 6/20/21 3:39 pm
DragoRed replied 6/25/2021 3:01 am
I made a skin but i dont know how to shade it, I would love it if someone would show me a tutorial on how to shade using PMCSkin3D
Posted by avatar
DugTheDark
Level 2 : Apprentice Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

7 replies

06/20/2021 3:56 pmhistory
Level 10 : Journeyman Dragon
DragoRed
DragoRed avatar
I'm here to help, you see, shadows make the places where they are cooler right? Well we have color theory that tells us cool colors are towards the blue-purple and warm colors are towards the yellow-orange, so to make shadows you can use cool colors. And then, to place the shadows, just think of where they're supposed to be, for example towards the inside of the arms (the part of the arms that touches the torso). Also do some tweaks with the saturation and value, just adjust until you like it. Oh and I'm not that great of a skinner so what I can recommend is analyzing people's skins on this site to learn what makes a skin good.
06/20/2021 4:16 pmhistory
DugTheDark
DugTheDark avatar
Ty for making sense of it, hadnt thought of the fact that it would be "cooler" colors, but thinking of bright things brings heat to mind so it makes sense that darker colors are associated with cold, like how a book author might describe a room as "Cold and dark." While it doesnt make much a difference to my skill rn, it may help me when I find and use a tutorial on how to shade :D
06/20/2021 4:28 pmhistory
DragoRed
DragoRed avatar
No problem! Yeah when you don't know about it you don't really think about it, you just kind of feel it. Oh and I've looked at your latest skin and I don't recommend pure black because you can't shade it since you can't get darker than absolute black (you may are not using pure black on the skin you're trying to shade at this moment but, just saying). Also don't be afraid of making mistakes, you'll learn from them.

Didn't see you edited your reply, well then you don't really need a tutorial, just experiment and learn from it like I said.
06/20/2021 9:06 pm
DugTheDark
DugTheDark avatar
Yeah I realized as soon as I started thinking about shading that its prob gonna be hard to shade something pure black, so i have already made the black a slightly lighter version, although not that much. I may make the none shaded areas more blueish-purpleish because thats realistic, but idk we'll see.
06/21/2021 12:38 am
DragoRed
DragoRed avatar
Yeah that might be good. Also keep in mind colors are relative to each other, even if the shadows are purple you can still see the thing as black. If you're still having trouble with shading I can make a video for you.
06/24/2021 8:40 pmhistory
DugTheDark
DugTheDark avatar
Is the shading to minimal on the updated version? I feel like I may have to change the black a lot more, but lemme know.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2021
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome