1

Increasing upload speeds (only getting 3.65 Mbps)

n1k10s •1/3/12 7:32 pm
•
632
•
1/8/2012 11:48 pm
Hey all. Just wondering if theres a way to 'tweak' windows to optimize upload speeds. As said, I only get roughly 3.5 Mbps. I'd like to be able to have more than only a few players on at a time so if anyone knows of a way to do this, please let me know. In the meantime, I'm going to continue to come the internet for answers. -Thanks
Posted by
n1k10s
Level 24 : Expert Architect
9

  Have something to say?

Join • Sign in

4

n1k10s
• 01/08/2012 11:48 pm
• Level 24 : Expert Architect
Okay cool guys thanks. I tried no lag and saw positive results instantly. And I will look at my server properties, thanks again
1
teqx
• 01/04/2012 1:50 pm
• Level 1 : New Explorer
If im right with my silly calculator in total your upload speed is: 448KB per second, enough for a dozen or so players, i've had 10 players on a 1.6Ghz machine with 150KB upload cap, they did obviously report latencies of around 1-2 seconds with such numbers.

Im still googling but i cant for the life of me find actual upload speeds per player, only how much "this amount of players" would use, but not what it takes to upload all the chunks.


I also think i forgot to tell you this, set your viewdistance to 9 or lower in server.properties, this can help considerably in the amount of data required to upload.
1
ZaphodX
• 01/04/2012 1:27 pm
• Level 40 : Master Network
As teqx said, I recommend nolagg to help reduce the amount you need to upload to people.

To get more upload speed you will have to upgrade your internet service.

However 3.5M upload is fast, that could easily support more than 15 people. You need to check your internet speed lol.
1
teqx
• 01/04/2012 1:06 pm
• Level 1 : New Explorer
Is it default Minecraft or bukkit? If you are using Bukkit you could try using either: ChunkLoader, NoLagg or Spout (server side), they all have optimizations in regards to uploading chunks in smart methods and this can increase the amount of players that can play without extreme latencies.

I can't talk for Spout yet, some people say they can go from 3-4 players to 8, but i do know Nolagg (or Chunkloader, which is integrated in NoLagg) can help reduce the strain, it doesnt increase your max upload speed however, that is either limited by your wireless connection or more likely your ISP.

I presume your machine specifications are all proper enough not to cause extremely large bottlenecks
1

Welcome