Mouse Buttons Do Not Work as Hotkeys

ScreedToeTaker's Avatar ScreedToeTaker8/23/20 10:21 am
1 emeralds 606
For info, I am running Linux Peppermint and Minecraft 1.8.9 with Optifine. I believe this problem occurs in other versions as well.
A little while I got a new (gaming) mouse, a cheap one by a brand called E-Yooso. As well as Left and Right buttons and Scroll Wheel / MMB, it has a button on the top to quickly change mouse sensitivity and two buttons on the side. In my testing witht the mouse using Xev, I figured out that the top button does not input anything to the computer, but the two side buttons input as Button 8 and Button 9. I want to be able to hotkey to inventory slots with the side mouse buttons, as well as the number keys on my keyboard.
I used a program called Xte to set up my computer so that whenever Button 9 is pressed, it presses the 8 keyboard button. I believe this program is like AutoHotKey for Linux, though I have never used AHK. THe way it works, though, is that it DIRECTLY presses the 8 key when I press the mouse button. In any program. However, it will not do anything in minecraft. I can't use it to go to my 8th inventory slot at all. However, I know that minecraft registers that button as the 8 key, because if I go in the Minecraft control settings and set a key to the mouse button, it simply types an 8. As it should.
In the past, I have also tried to simply set the side mouse button to replace my 8 key entirely in the Minecraft control settings, without using Xte at all. This works somewhat, but has the same issue that other people have mentioned where I cannot use it to move items to the 8th slot inside my inventory. However, I would rather be able to go to the 8th slot using both the keyboard key and the mouse button if I can.
Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?
ScreedToeTaker
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner