Optifine/Forge/Java issues

Davidiculous's Avatar Davidiculous10/10/19 2:38 am
10/15/2019 5:19 am
Coolboy100_'s Avatar Coolboy100_
So I’m not super super computer savvy but I know how to download stuff. But for some reason now I can’t download Optifine or the latest version of Forge. Someone said it was because I don’t have Java on my PC but when I go to download Java it’s not there. I kind of assumed if I had Minecraft then I had Java but I guess that’s not true. Any time I try to download Optifine or forge they come up as PDFs and I can’t locate Java as a program anywhere. Has anyone else had this issue? And if so how did you fix it. I would like to play with shaders and such just to see what it’s like.

thanks
Davidiculous
Level 4 : Apprentice Mage

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/15/2019 5:19 amhistory
Level 32 : Artisan Engineer
Coolboy100_
(E.g OptiFine_1.14.4_HD_U_F3) Rightclick properties >>> Change >>> Browse

Then If you have Java installed goto C:\Program Files\Java then click on 1st file you see ""for me its C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_221 its just the version of java its ruining" then head inside bin folder "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_221\bin" then Search for (I hope you know how to Search) "javaw"

Then 2x click and set as default. EZ!

Im assuming you said "they come up as PDFs"
10/11/2019 12:25 pm
Level 24 : Expert Robot
C0okies_n_Cream
i have no idea man
10/11/2019 11:20 am
Level 48 : Master Strawberry
memora
I pretty much agree with what everyone else is saying. If this is your first time downloading optifine, I suggest following this tutorial. Although the tutorial is for downloading shaders, it provides a pretty helpful guide on downloading both optifine and java at the start.
10/10/2019 9:46 amhistory
Level 9 : Apprentice Toast
Laurent_Conlon
Go over to Java first and download the 32/64 bit version (whichever your machine runs on) and after that you install Optifine.
10/10/2019 3:40 pm
Davidiculous
Probably a dumb question but how do I know what java version I would need?
10/11/2019 1:28 amhistory
Level 9 : Apprentice Toast
Laurent_Conlon
Not dumb if you never knew. Rightclick "My computer" and then go to "properties". You should be able to see your system type.
Here is an example: https://i.imgur.com/8REfYvP.png
After you have discovered which system type you have you simply download Java, according to your system. (I would presume you have a 64-bit machine, most are these days)
So if you do have a 64-bit system, you download Windows Offline (64-bit)
If you have a 32-bit system, you download Windows Offline
10/10/2019 6:01 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
How are you trying to download them? Not having Java isn't an issue perse but you will need to have the runtime installed before you can use their installers. You say you download pdf files, what's in them? I'm assuming that you're not downloading the files or link destinations but instead the html page as a whole.

The only thing you need to do is click on the right options:

https://optifine.net/downloads

For OptiFine this means clicking the "download" link for the version you need, that will not result in a pdf file.
10/10/2019 3:40 pm
Davidiculous
So I’ve gone to that link before, and when I download it it does it as a PDF, when I go to open it with a different program (java) I can’t find java to run it.
10/11/2019 11:43 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
I'd try another browser then. Maybe something like Opera.
10/15/2019 4:59 am
Davidiculous
I was trying Crome. Maybe that’s why
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome