Printing Block Data to Chat

y1nny5/16/22 7:41 pm
5/17/2022 10:40 am
y1nny
Hello all. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm also not sure where else to, so sorry if I'm in the wrong place :)

I'm trying to print some block data to the chat with /tell, /say, or /tellraw, but I can't figure out how to get the data from one command to the other.

The exact scenario is that I have a lectern with a book on it, and I want to print whatever text is on the book's first page to the chat.

I can get the data with

/data get block ~1 ~ ~ Book.tag.pages[0]

but I can't figure out how to get the result to print out to the chat. Any help would be appreciated :(
Posted by avatar
y1nny
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/17/2022 1:23 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Nerd
Kefaku
Kefaku avatar
You can get blockdata directly in the /tellraw command using a nbt component:

tellraw @a {"nbt":"Book.tag.pages[​0]", "block":"~1 ~ ~"}

If you want to add some text before or after the text, you can either use a second /tellraw like this:

tellraw @a {"text":"text from page 1:"}
tellraw @a {"nbt":"Book.tag.pages[​0]", "block":"~1 ~ ~"}

Or add them together like this:

tellraw @a [{"text":"text from page 1:\n"}, {"nbt":"Book.tag.pages[​0]", "block":"~1 ~ ~"}]

NOTE: If there is no lectern at the given location, the tellraw command will work and just return an empty string for that part.
NOTE #2: For some reason there is some weird char in front of the 0, if I copy and paste the commands. If that also happens to you, you'd have to remove that for the command to work.
05/17/2022 10:40 am
Level 1 : New Miner
y1nny
y1nny avatar
thank you so much!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2022
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome